Old November 21, 2000, 17:06   #1
Dragon
Settler

Local Time: 09:03
Local Date: October 31, 2010
Diplomatic Victory really works!
I tried my first game at Medium difficulty with 5 civilizations. Taking out the Cubans was hard, the Chinese a bit easier. At this point I had a big tech lead and there was no way I could lose, but it was going to take hours of micromanagement to conquer the rest of the world. I had peace treaties with the other two civilizations, but they wouldn't agree to any pacts.

I surrounded Dordrecht with 30 tanks and proposed an alliance to the Dutch. They refused. I threatened to reduce Dordrecht to smoldering rubble. They accepted.

Next turn I proposed an alliance with the Indians. They refused. I threatened to delclare war. They accepted. At the end of the turn I got the diplomatic victory movie.

If this game is any indication, being stronger than all your opponents combined should be all that it takes to win.
Old November 21, 2000, 17:22   #2
MarkG

yes, i have too forced small civs into alliance in my current game....

Old November 21, 2000, 20:02   #3
Camper
Chieftain

Local Time: 09:03
I'm glad to hear it really works, because I'm Sooooo close to getting Allied to everyone in my game. I'm working on a 8 civ / huge map game, and I've destroyed one civ, Allied with 3, and have one or two pacts with the other two.

I think I'll be able to bribe or threaten them into submission pretty soon. I found it much easier to get them to agree with me by:

1) Threatening the weaker civs into signing a pact or two, after that they will sign more.

2) Always offering money when asking for something.

3) Building the Empire State Building.
Old November 23, 2000, 06:31   #4
PrinceBimz
Prince

Local Time: 03:03
Yep, a strong and respectable military can do wonders. I mean try asking an enemy nation for something or demanding them to do something when you don't have much military units. You can bet they will reject it for sure. If you don't have anything to scare them, they will not be afraid of you and will disrespect you and your weak nation. LOL...I found this out the hard way, from getting a superpower nation angry at me and they beat the heck out of me for a good while. I had to beg for a cease-fire for several turns.