Old November 23, 2000, 04:24   #1
Dissident Aggressor

Please tell my why I should buy this game
First of all it looks promising. But I'm going to need some convincing after the few reviews i've seen which don't seem to rank it that well. One problem I have with reviews is the people doing the reviewing don't seem to like tbs games that much. And they don't seem to give the game over 20 hours of play.

So if anyone has say over 100 hours of play, is it still addictive?
Is the AI a worthy adversary or will it become a multiplayer game only (as SMAC quickly became)?
Is the unit micromanagement that bad? (as per one review I seen)
Is the game balanced even after the removal of unconventional units (I have a feeling I will take out lawyers and corporate branch)?
Is the late game just as inticing as the early and mid game (unlike smac)?

thanks for your replies. I hope none of this is too repitive. I have looked at all the other threads on this page already.

------------------
Reality is an illusion that is due to the lack of alchohol

Religion is for people who are afraid of going to hell, and spirituality is for people like me who have been there.

You're only young once; but you can stay immature indefinately

Trying is the first step towards failure

Old November 23, 2000, 09:08   #2
Rollo Tomasi
Chieftain

Local Time: 09:03
Local Date: October 31, 2010
I just finished my first CTP game a couple days ago. It was pretty great. Working my way through the Alexander scenario now.

I was a huge fan of Civ 2. I didn't buy SMAC, TOT, or CTP1 (mainly because my computer couldn't run it/ heard two of them sucked), but when I got a new computer, I snatched up CTP2 that same day. I don't know why, a friend of mine who has an intuitive sense of what games are good and bad (he tried to stop me from buying Unreal and instead get Starcraft. Of course I didn't listen and eventually Unreal is in a bargain bin and I played Starcraft for two years straight) told me not to get it, but when he started playing CTP2, he couldn't stop

Anyway, on to your questions.

I can very well imagine myself playing this over 100 hours, especially once I see some good scenarios come out/make one myself.

The AI a worthy adversary? I wouldn't know, since I played it on Beginner

The unit micromanagement isn't bad at all. I think it's a lot better than Civ2. I love the easy-to-use pathing system - I hated moving every single unit one square every single turn in Civ 2. I'm not happy with the 12 unit limit, but other than that, it's pretty good to work with.

I never used the unconventional units. I think I spotted one corporate branch, but that was it. It seemed pretty balanced.
Old November 23, 2000, 10:39   #3
Grand Master Fe Long
Chieftain

Local Time: 09:03
This is ment to be the best CIV game yet! when it comes out 2moro in England im buying it!
Old November 23, 2000, 10:58   #4
Pembleton
Prince

Local Time: 03:03
quote:

Originally posted by Rollo Tomasi on 11-23-2000 08:08 AM

The unit micromanagement isn't bad at all. I think it's a lot better than Civ2. I love the easy-to-use pathing system - I hated moving every single unit one square every single turn in Civ 2.

Ok I've heard this several times so I have to respond. There was a *goto* command in Civ2 in the options on the top of the screen. You could tell one unit to go from one city to another without controlling it every turn. I really feel sorry for all the people who had to labor through moving every unit when I had a good portion of mine within my civ being controlled by the computer (after the early-mid game) after their path was set. The superior thing about Civ2 too was once you set the path and they stopped in sight of a unit or city, you could tell them to continue the path. In CTP2, you have to make a whole new path again since the old one disappears which is really annoying making the really long paths useless.
[This message has been edited by Pembleton (edited November 23, 2000).]
Old November 23, 2000, 12:09   #5
Robm
Prince

Local Time: 01:03
I never found the Civ2 goto command very useful. I like the flexibility of the pathing in CTP2 much better. Except for it forgetting where the unit was supposed to go just because it saw a city or another unit. I agree that that is annoying.
Old November 23, 2000, 22:55   #6
PrinceBimz
Prince

Local Time: 03:03
Its really an excellent game thats even better then the first. I would get it if I were you
Old November 24, 2000, 02:52   #7
Dissident Aggressor

good replies

I'm not sure if I found that something to put me over the edge yet. The best solution would be to wait a couple of weeks. But I really would like to play a new civ game by next week. I'll give it 1 more week.

Old November 24, 2000, 02:55   #8
Sarxis
Rise of Nations MultiplayerAlpha Centauri PBEMCivilization III MultiplayerCivilization III PBEMCTP2 Source Code ProjectCall to Power II MultiplayerCall to Power MultiplayerCivilization IV: MultiplayerCivilization IV CreatorsGalCiv Apolyton Empire
Emperor

Local Time: 05:03
Why should you buy? Well, because it is good...

Changed my mind! RUN AWAY!
[This message has been edited by Anunikoba (edited January 28, 2001).]
Old November 24, 2000, 03:48   #9
marcuspeddle
Iron CiversCivilization IV PBEM
Emperor

Local Time: 18:03
I'm living in South Korea so the game is not available to me here yet. I tried Amazon.com and, like many other software titles, CTPII is only shipped to locations in the U.S. I tried a few other online computer stores and it was pretty much the same story. At last I went to Activision's site where I found I could have the game shipped to me via Fed-Ex. Verrrrrry expensive (the shipping) but I'm really itching to try the game and I can take on a bit of overtime to pay the postage
I played Civilization:CTP once and gave up on it because of the AI, the clunky interface, and gameplay in general. It irritated me that the other civilisations would always be ticked off at me no matter how I tried to be nice. I didn't like slavers, either. Now that I think about it, though, probably I was just looking for a new Civ2 when I bought the game and I didn't take time to think, "This isn't Civ2." Anyway, I've been reading lots of the posts here at Apolyton and I've decided that the game is worth a shot. Some of the negative reviews about the game are making me a little nervous (especially after shelling out so much money for courier service) but many people seem to enjoy playing the game. I guess my copy is now somewhere over the Pacific Ocean in a big 747. I'm looking forward to having a go at it. Luckily next week is exam week for my students and it won't matter if I'm a little tired from staying up late to play CTPII I'll add my impressions to the forums once I've played a whole game and get through the confusions of playing a game for the first time.

------------------
A civilisation is great when old men plant trees they will not live to sit under.
[This message has been edited by Anatolia (edited November 24, 2000).]