Old November 22, 2000, 20:12   #1
MarkG

"Call to Power 2 is a significantly better strategic military game than Civ 2."
just loaded the page, i just had to post the thread http://www.dailyradar.com/reviews/game_review_1098.html

lets read the actual thing now...

Old November 22, 2000, 20:17   #2
MarkG

back to reality
quote:

The graphics in Civ 2 are at least as good as in Call to Power 2
what???

Old November 22, 2000, 20:25   #3
Dauphin
Civilization IV PBEMPolyCast Team
Deity

Local Time: 10:04
Local Date: October 31, 2010
Its not a confusion of CtP-1 with Civ2 by any chance? Thats my only explanation.
Old November 22, 2000, 20:27   #4
MarkG

now that you say it....
no clue, it refers to civ2 so many times it's hard to believe he made that kind of mistake

then again...
quote:

The diplomacy system has not significantly improved, or changed, since Civ 2.
huh?

Old November 22, 2000, 20:39   #5
Mad-Kat
Chieftain

Local Time: 09:04
I put a lot of this down to one of my main complaints about CTP II. It's very dry and bare bones. It's missing all the fluff and hooplah of Civ II. Even though it's actually deeper and more complex at it's heart, this gets missed by it's bad, (well dry anyway) presentation. It really would have been nice to see a portait of the person you're addressing or his representive along with approprite demeanour towards you. If it had these details and more stats and fluff in general, along with the excellent core gameplay it posseses, it would have been recieved far more warmly by the general, RTS, pretty lights, minded public. For me it doesn't ruin the game, but I miss some of Civ II's unneccesary but pretty screens.

Agree?

This time round I'm eagerly awaiting mods for the cosmetic things like this and hope they leave gameplay alone.

[This message has been edited by Mad-Kat (edited November 22, 2000).]
Old November 23, 2000, 11:36   #6
WesW
Apolytoners Hall of Fame

Local Time: 03:04
The guys at Daily Radar are the ones who used to run, what was it, PC Accelerator, or PC Extreme? I used to read the mag just because they were so hilarious. They never reviewed anything other than action games. I was very surprised that they even bothered to review Ctp2, and not surprised that they were unqualified to do so properly.
Old November 23, 2000, 18:10   #7
Garth Vader
King

Local Time: 03:04
Comparisons to Civ 2 are valid, as this is a Civ style game. In other threads here people were complaining because it was being compared to RTS games, which is a valid complaint.

But since this is a TBS, civ building game I for one want to know how it stacks up against Civ 2 and SMAC. So far what I have read makes me inclined to get it, although I didn't get CtP.
Old November 23, 2000, 18:20   #8
MarkG

garth, it goes without saying that comparing ctp2 with civ2(and smac) is the proper thing to. only thing though, the comparisons should be correct
i'll quote again
quote:

Old November 23, 2000, 18:22   #9
Mad-Kat
Chieftain

quote:

Originally posted by DarkOrder on 11-23-2000 12:53 PM
Mad-Kat, you can check an AI's demeanor toward you at any time in the diplomacy manager.

Oh, I know Dark, but it's just a boring line of text. That's my whole point. Where is the graphic of a leader looking pissed or happy?

Old November 24, 2000, 01:53   #10
DarkOrder
Chieftain

Mad-Kat, you can check an AI's demeanor toward you at any time in the diplomacy manager.

Smooshies
Old November 24, 2000, 07:32   #11
Tiberius
PtWDG LegolandCivilization III PBEMInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamCivilization IV CreatorsC4DG Sarantium
Emperor

Local Time: 11:04
quote:

quote:

Originally posted by MarkG on 11-22-2000 07:17 PM
what???

I don't know how the CTP2's graphics is, but I liked more Civ2's graphics than CTP's.
Of, course, that's only my opinion.
[This message has been edited by Tiberius (edited November 24, 2000).]
Old November 24, 2000, 07:50   #12
MarkG

quote:

Originally posted by Tiberius on 11-24-2000 06:32 AM
I don't know how the CTP2's graphics is
check the screenshots page in the ctp2 section

Old November 24, 2000, 09:28   #13
Judge
Settler

I agree completely with Mad-Kat in that I really miss the quirky advisor videos and piccies of your enemies in Civ2 as well as the throne room/palace upgrades although they served no real purpose they just added that bit of extra interest. Can we have them back please!

CTP2 seems to have gone a bit umm serious!

On the other hand almost everything else is better, the AI seems better, the diplomacy much better, the graphics are improved and the gui (once you get used to it) is considerably easier and in general quicker to use.

I've been playing the game on hard level on a gigantic map with 7 computer players for some time so far up to 2060AD. I have seen some odd problems with the AI which may relate to the difficulty level but I'm not sure. Sometimes the AI just doesn't attack even with a far superior force and often just doesn't take advantage of easy conquest situations which it seems to make great efforts to set-up!

I have had a few annoying situations when one of my cities is being bombarded - I can hear it being bombarded but I have to search my entire (now 36 city) map to find the right damned location!

I have noticed that the AI seems to mysteriously "know" which of my cities have a low number of defensive units but well computer AI always cheats in one way or another...

In general I think any fan of Civ 1 & 2 will think CTP2 is an improvement, for me it adds all the good things that were in CTP1 and removes all the bad....
Old November 24, 2000, 10:29   #14
Tiberius
PtWDG LegolandCivilization III PBEMInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamCivilization IV CreatorsC4DG Sarantium
Emperor

Local Time: 11:04
quote:

Originally posted by MarkG on 11-24-2000 06:50 AMcheck the screenshots page in the ctp2 section

I saw the screenshots, but only from some screenshots I can't really make an opinion if I like it more than Civ2's or not. I presume I should play the game and speak only after that. After all, graphics should be not only beatifull, but also well linked to the interface and gameplay.
I understood that the graphics of CTP2 is not very different from CTP's. In that case, maybe I'll still love more Civ2's graphics. But that's not really important. Gi'me good gameplay, improved diplomacy, trade, city & empire management, and ... you know, all the other "good-civ-game" stuff and I'll be happy.

Reading the reviews and comments so far, I guess I'm gonna play this game . After all, there is at least one year left until the release of Civ3. I must play something in the meantime
Old November 24, 2000, 12:34   #15
DarthVeda
Emperor

Local Time: 05:04
As far as graphics go, the ones in Test of Time and Call to Power are about even (minus the GUI which looks better in CtP2).

As far as strategic combat goes, call to power is far ahead of civ2 and only a smidge ahead of SMAC.
Old November 24, 2000, 14:16   #16
Monkey
King

I think the opening quote of the Daily Radar is a bit misleading. Civ is about empire building. Does CTP2 cater to the builder type player? Or is it more skewed towards the military player like CTP1 was??
Old November 24, 2000, 18:36   #17
Daniel Frappier
Prince

---------------------------------------------------
As far as graphics go, the ones in Test of Time and Call to Power are about even........
---------------------------------------------------

??!!???????????!???!!!!! WHAT??

I guess you are making a Joke, Darth, either that or may I suggest you quit drugs.

but then again some peoples prefer the graphics of Civ II over CTP and some prefer the graphics of Civ I over Civ II and i personnaly prefer Intellivision's 1982 Utopia (Civ's grand, grand father) over Civ I graphics and...etc. etc. etc.
Old November 24, 2000, 19:10   #18
Sarxis
Rise of Nations MultiplayerAlpha Centauri PBEMCivilization III MultiplayerCivilization III PBEMCTP2 Source Code ProjectCall to Power II MultiplayerCall to Power MultiplayerCivilization IV: MultiplayerCivilization IV CreatorsGalCiv Apolyton Empire
Emperor

Local Time: 05:04
Well, as far as the 'fluff' and 'quircky advisors' are concerened, I always shut that stuff off in my other CIV games (Civ II, SMAC[x]). So for me personally, these things are not a loss. Actually, they could even get rid of the wonder movies in exchange for more gameplay versatility.

I do agree with Mark that CTP2 is more strategically involved, especially on the military side. The foremost reason for this is flanking and ranged units. This forces us to plan our army compositions before reaching the battleground, which in turn adds a whole new world of strategic and tactical avenues to travel.

Old November 26, 2000, 00:03   #19
Darkknight
NationStates
Prince

hmmm I haven't got CTP2 yet as i live in the extreme west of ireland
but from the reviews ive seen CTP2 looks like you just get one big army built and you can take practically any city.am i right
I'm probably wrong and i'm, going to get the game as soon as it comes out(2002 maybe)
in civ2 I usually played in fundamentalism continually building fanatics.
Is fascism the same?

someone mentioned a limited amount of fascists ???

anyone know the release date for the UK??

------------------
" mind over body "
Old November 26, 2000, 04:08   #20
MSB
Chieftain

The new Eurogamer preview says CTP2 is already released in the UK. I live in a big city and I'm yet to come across it, though.

Some sources have been saying 24th Nov, others 8th Dec, but to be honest I wouldn't treat those dates as Gospel - Activision has not explicitly stated a UK release date on Apolyton, to my knowledge.

I'm going to check the stores every day - I'll post in CTP2 - General when I get it.