Old November 29, 2000, 16:08   #1
MrFun
Emperor

Local Time: 04:05
Local Date: October 31, 2010
Another Review
Here is what I like and what I don't like about Call to Power II after having it for only a couple of weeks.

What I like:

1) better enhanced graphics compared to CTP I (nothing dramatically better, but enhanced)
2) pace of the game - does not speed through an era too fast for me
3) expanded diplomacy feature
4) elimination of the space aspect of gameplay and focusing on an underwater future

What I do NOT like:

1) a cruddy Earth map created by people who slept through their geography classes
2) poor AI so far - might see better AI as I play more games - but can't say for sure
3) poor system of units becoming obsolete - had to modify many of the units' obsolete advance so it makes more sense (for instance, whoever heard of Knights in use up to Tank Warfare?)
4) lack of instructions for the map creation feature (many features in it self-explanatory but some not)

I do not regreat buying the game because I hope I can improve on it with my current modifications as well as any future modifications I make. Also hope to fix the game with patches from Activision.

My biggest gripe right now is that Activision gets their ass in gear to implement a patch that we can download that would feature improved AI. FIX THIS!
Old November 29, 2000, 17:36   #2
JamesJKirk
Civilization II PBEM
King

Local Time: 01:05
//quote//
3) poor system of units becoming obsolete - had to modify many of the units' obsolete advance so it makes more sense (for instance, whoever heard of Knights in use up to Tank Warfare?)
//quote//

Um...Poland? And Germany used horses to pull it's artillery throughout the war, I like that you can still make the cheaper and more obsolete units, it's great for fodder if you're going to war and don't have much time to gear up.
Old November 29, 2000, 17:59   #3
MrFun
Emperor

Yeah Poland did use horses against tanks in WW I but guess what? They were not Knights from the Middle Ages - they were cavalry.

With the tech tree I made, Cavalry Tactics makes Knights obsolete and Tank Warfare makes Cavalry obsolete.
Old November 29, 2000, 18:49   #4
CorpusScorpius
Chieftain

Local Time: 03:05
I agree with the initiator of this topic.The AI Is terrible.I am currently playing on the very hard setting.I am the 2nd most powerful NAtion on the graph. There is one Nation (Native Am.), that has A 5 Tech lead. The majority of my units are outdated compared to the Native Americans,yet,they refuse to attack any of my cities (relatively speaking). If I had the tech advantage, I would be wiping out everyone in sight. Also, 12 bombers should be able to take out 3 tanks/2 artillery/3 Machine guns regardless of defense settings (no SAM sights yet). I hope there is a patch to fix this not so minor problem. But, I guess I shouldnt complain........I only paid $30 at Best Buy
Old November 29, 2000, 19:39   #5
MarkG

quote:

Originally posted by CorpusScorpius on 11-29-2000 05:49 PM
Also, 12 bombers should be able to take out 3 tanks/2 artillery/3 Machine guns regardless of defense settings (no SAM sights yet). I hope there is a patch to fix this not so minor problem.
if you attacked instead of bombarding, it's your fault...

Old November 29, 2000, 21:39   #6
MrFun
Emperor

Speaking of bombardment, I thought that Ship of the Line without any bombardment was stupid, so I changed its bombardment ability to water and land. I also added bombardment ability to the Ironclad too.

Doesn't anyone remember the Union Navy bombarding Confederate forts along the Mississippi in the Civil War? And the fact that Ship of the Lines were used extensively in coastal bombardments.
Old November 30, 2000, 00:44   #7
CorpusScorpius
Chieftain

Local Time: 03:05
After using bombard ( Per MarkG), Bombers work alot better (Yes it was my fault).......... Duh
Old November 30, 2000, 07:41   #8
JamesJKirk
Civilization II PBEM
King

Local Time: 01:05
Yeah, I didn't catch that you said knights, the unit obsolesence is a little extreme but I do think it's good to have at least one generation back of similar units available at the same time for the reasons I mentioned above. And I completely agree about the SotL, but I think you should tone down it's bombard rate a bit so it's not too unbalanced