Old November 26, 2000, 01:09   #1
jkadabomb
Warlord

Local Time: 09:05
Local Date: October 31, 2010
Hagia Sophia
I built the hagia sophia yet I still had the option of building shrines in my cities. What gives?
Old November 26, 2000, 17:36   #2
Ploxy Yoper
Settler

Local Time: 04:05
quote:

Originally posted by jkadabomb on 11-26-2000 12:09 AM
I built the hagia sophia yet I still had the option of building shrines in my cities. What gives?

I don't know, but I had the same problem with the Internet wonder. After I had built it, the computer center was still a build option in my cities.

Old November 28, 2000, 05:39   #3
swat-spas
Settler

i've no idea but i've had the same problem with both hagia sophia and internet. .and i'm also not entirely sure either one of them had its proper effect (ie the +1 happiness and 20% sci bonus) as far as i can tell my science remained the same until i had gone through and built the computer centers in alot of cities and got a feat for it
Old November 28, 2000, 18:25   #4
Rollo Tomasi
Chieftain

Same problem with Central Matter Decompiler and Field Dynamics Lab. If the effects are taking place, maybe they should tell you that before you put a Matter Decompiler/Computer Lab/Orbital Laboratory/Shrine in your build queues...
Old November 28, 2000, 18:25   #5
Tilemacho
Prince

If you build the building after you have built the wonder there is NO benefit from the building. You just pay the wages to maintain it!

I don't know why the left that option....
Old November 28, 2000, 23:42   #6
Slice
Settler

Maybe they should have set the upkeep to "zero" for those buildings as well. At least when the Mayors build these redundant buildings, you won't have to pay for them, and if the wonder is ever captured or destroyed, you would still have the buildings in your cities but now you will have to pay upkeep.

Just an idea.
Old November 28, 2000, 23:47   #7
Dominous Nemo
Chieftain

I think they have this option because alot of the wonders loose effect after a certain point in the game (i.e. discovery of industerial revolution). I don't know though if the internet wonder has an expiration?
Old November 30, 2000, 00:32   #8
Yohan
Chieftain

Internet wonder does not expire, nor does Hagia Sophia. The "option" to build improvements already provided by wonders is annoying. Please, Activision, fix this in a patch.
Old November 30, 2000, 10:35   #9
Metamorph
Warlord

You can't have it both ways.

In all the other civlikes, when you build a Wonder which mimicks the effect of a city improvement, you are *denied* the ability, in any way, shape or form, to go ahead and build those improvements anyway. And this has raised the ire of those of us who *would* like that option.

Why, you ask? Well, let's say that one day someone comes along (computer or enemy player, take your pick) and snatches the city that contains that Wonder. Guess what? Every city in your empire is screwed out of its free [insert building here].

So now you either have to take the Wonder back -- which may not be feasible -- or go right ahead and build the blasted improvements on your own, one by one, throughout your nation.

Strategy-wise, I'd prefer to rely on a Wonder until I have the resources and wherewithall to build and maintain the real city improvements. Especially if they're cheap and easy ones like Shrines.

So if anything, I suggest you petition for a toggle option whereby the offering of the choice to build a Wonder-covered city improvement is suppressed.

While you're at it, petition for a toggle option to suppress those infuriating "Wonder race" pop-up messages. If I have to hear that the Egyptians have begun/aborted their race to complete the Ramayana one more time I'm going to scream...

- Metamorph
Old November 30, 2000, 10:44   #10
MarkG

quote:

Originally posted by Metamorph on 11-30-2000 09:35 AM
While you're at it, petition for a toggle option to suppress those infuriating "Wonder race" pop-up messages. If I have to hear that the Egyptians have begun/aborted their race to complete the Ramayana one more time I'm going to scream...
see the usercritmess.txt(or something like that) in the ctp_program folder...