Old November 30, 2000, 00:16   #1
MrFun
Emperor

Local Time: 04:07
Local Date: October 31, 2010
Slavery
CTP I and CTP II have put the Emancipation Wonder in the wrong area on the tech tree. The Enligthenment did not bring abolition of slavery - in our world history, slavery became abolished from the pressures of the Industrial Revolution. Also remember - the intellects of the Enlightenment were racists (Thomas Jefferson, George Hume, among others)

So guess what? I modified the Emancipation Act by placing it under - surprise - Industrial Revolution and I placed the required advance for Abolitionist under Enligthenment. There was no real defense against slavery until modern times - not ancient times.
Old November 30, 2000, 00:44   #2
Lancer
Civilization III MultiplayerApolytoners Hall of FamePolyCast TeamC4BtSDG Rabbits of Caerbannog
Deity

Local Time: 09:07
...and how would you say this impacted strategy? Does the AI deal well w/ the change?
Old November 30, 2000, 01:02   #3
VetteroX
Chieftain

your quite right and that was a great idea, thats the way it should be. I dont wanna sound like a some evil freak, but in the game, slavery rocks... I have had cities that were like 5 real population size 20 because of slavery.... it makes my cities huge. I'll miss the slaver terribly in civ 3 ( im pretty sure there won't be one =( Ive considered taking the emanstipation wonder out of the game I love slaving so much, it just rules, period.
Old November 30, 2000, 01:17   #4
MrFun
Emperor

I have yet to progress far enough in a new game where I will see how AI will change their strategy (not that they had ANY strategies in the first place).

But basically, Enlightenment brought forth the Abolitionist and Industrial Revolution brought emancipation.
Old December 2, 2000, 00:52   #5
Dave Boshko

I'm using the same strategy I used in Civ 2 (i.e. try to achieve complete economic/scientific dominance and then blowing everyone away when I get cannons, it seems to work fairly well I'm tied with a couple civs for the tech lead in a 14 player Very Hard game and have far and away the best cities and just switched over to communism to build artillery with). How do you guys go about attacking early? Do you have stacks with slavers wandering around picking off stray units or do you go for the cities?
[This message has been edited by Dave Boshko (edited December 01, 2000).]

Old December 2, 2000, 01:30   #6
MrFun
Emperor

interesting . . . .
[This message has been edited by MrFun (edited December 02, 2000).]
Old December 2, 2000, 17:56   #7
dainbramaged13
Trade Wars / BlackNova Traders
King

Local Time: 05:07
quote:

Originally posted by Dave Boshko on 12-01-2000 11:52 PM
Do you have stacks with slavers wandering around picking off stray units or do you go for the cities?
[This message has been edited by Dave Boshko (edited December 01, 2000).]

i just hop around with about 10 slavers picking off of cities like vultures. i usually use one slaver for every two cities.. once i get back from one, the others got off its warning thing again, and grown back up to size 2 so i can enslave it again
Old December 4, 2000, 09:59   #8
wheathin
Prince

In CtP you could change the support costs for the types of populations, including making slaves cost more or less food, etc...

I wonder if there is a way to have slaves generate negative science points, while still using less food/wages/etc.? Historically, slaves have hindered both technological and mechanical/industrial development.
Old December 4, 2000, 11:15   #9
MrFun
Emperor

How about adding a Whitney's Cotton Gin Wonder? Up until the Emancipation Act is completed, all slaveholding cities would gain a +10% bonus in production.