Old December 2, 2000, 02:35   #1
thud632
Settler

Local Time: 09:08
Local Date: October 31, 2010
are there natural disasters?
i was told that things like global warming and worldwide flooding don't occur anymore. i'll be very disappointed if this is true because it feels like there may not be enough incentive to go for an ecotopian government, although i am aware of the government advantages.

here's a story about down to the line save-the-world-from-evil-polluting-computer-drama. it is optional...

in a game i played on CtP1, pollution was becoming horrendous around the world and i began to take steps to tone down the pollution once we hit about 50 turns to next disaster, and i eagerly tried in vain to construct ecopacts with the other Civs but they just scoffed at me, so what did i do? i was way behind in the tech race but far ahead in military might; i did not have the ecotopia advance and barely more than recycling plants, so what was i gonna do? my plan was to check the diplomatic intelligence to find the most polluted cities and take em out!

but some things got bad when the computer started retaliating; it wasn't much, but they pillaged my coasts like crazy and the polynesians had space fighters and i only recently gained prop planes (by conquest, mind you). time to disaster grinded down to 15 turns.

about 2250ad i finally got a force big enough to start my operation. ah, but wouldn't you know it... the most polluted cities are of course the farthest cities from me. dang. so this was gonna be a tough fight. Prop Fighters vs Space Fighters? uhhh, i don't think so!

so instead of just attacking these polluted cities directly i was gonna have to dig a hole right through their empires to get to the big boys. 5 turns left...what the hell? i swore i had 10 turns just a minute ago! it turns out that when i declared war on them they stepped up production and started polluting even more. dang.

it took me half an hour to do one turn. i had to plan and calculate every move for maximum efficiency! the fate of the world-- and my coastal cities-- hung in the balance! 2 turns left.

HAHA! VICTORY! four of the most polluted cities trashed by the mighty FrEnCh! MWAHAHAHAHA. i sold their factories and anything else polluting. 20 turns to next disaster. true, there would be more recycling aluminum cans and trashing up enemy factories to be done, but hey, i bought me and the world a half century.

so my impression is that this kinda thing won't happen anymore. i thought it was really cool that my biggest war was being fought over pollution. :-)
Old December 2, 2000, 19:50   #2
DarkOrder
Chieftain

global warming and worldwide flooding do occur if you play a map that has some ocean. Cities and land will disappear and ruins sink into the ocean. Terraforming land is the only other natural disaster (terraform your enemies land into dessert or glacial mountains is fun).

Smooshies
Old December 5, 2000, 20:10   #3
Dominous Nemo
Chieftain

quote:

Originally posted by DarkOrder on 12-02-2000 06:50 PM
global warming and worldwide flooding do occur if you play a map that has some ocean. Cities and land will disappear and ruins sink into the ocean. Terraforming land is the only other natural disaster (terraform your enemies land into dessert or glacial mountains is fun).

Smooshies

I didn't know that you could tarraform land that wasn't within your boundaries?
Old December 6, 2000, 01:16   #4
Alpha Wolf
Chieftain

Personally i used global warming to my advantage. The only squares I ever saw get turned into water were swamps. As such I'd lay out massive terraforming plans to setup swamps to either create chokepoints, "canals" or "moots". The only drawbacks were the massive rerouting of rivers which may or may not be destructive. i hope global warming has the same effects as in CtP2 because i defeated many a civ by letting flooding wipe out major cities and/or armies.
Old December 6, 2000, 11:54   #5
Dauphin
Civilization IV PBEMPolyCast Team
Deity

Local Time: 10:08
I don't s'pose you can reclaim land from the sea by terraforming (with extreme amounts of public works).
Old December 7, 2000, 11:25   #6
meriadoc
Warlord

Local Time: 05:08
So far no - no reclaiming of ocean, which kind of sucks. It is realistic, though. I've often thought of it in Civ games, but you can't win. If you can reclaim the ocean then you can make more land available for the cities. Good. But you could also (and so could the AI) build land bridges to their continents and so launch sudden, surprise, lightning attacks. Kind of takes the fun out of it, doesn't it?

------------------
The Electronic Hobbit
Old December 7, 2000, 11:44   #7
Grumbold
Emperor

Local Time: 10:08
Land reclamation on the sort of scale necessary to reclaim a complete tile is practically unheard of unless your map scale is only focussing on a very small part of the world. The Dutch are probably the world experts at this game and even they are having a constant struggle to keep what they have. I think it is probably easier to think of coastal swamp tiles as reclaimable coastal areas and the rest as impossible.