Old December 4, 2000, 12:04   #1
be0wulfe
Chieftain

Local Time: 09:09
Local Date: October 31, 2010
Corrupt Saved Games - Activision Response
UPDATE: FWIW, the below worked for a few more turns, then the same problems cropped up. Frankly I can't think of a reason right now not to return this and boycott AVision ... talk about frustrating ...

From my emails with Activision Response:

================================================== ====
What we do know is that once a file becomes corrupt it is no good. We also have found that files are being corrupt when trying to load a saved game when a game is
currently running. To avoid this, load the game from the main menu and not within a game in progress.
================================================== ====

Which has been unofficially suggested in these forums. Now, why this happens past a certain point in the game I have no idea. I very strongly recommend that anyone experiencing similar problems write Activision and let them know, sending crash.txt, dxdiag.txt and corrupt save games.

I also noticed in the Game Quits thread the following from StarFighter08:

"I changed the prerequisites for fascism to nationalism and mass media. But because fascism is a prerequisite for nationalism the game crashed every time I entered a ruin which awarded an advance. "

If this is a problem with a non-moded install, I wonder if it has something to do with it - I may have discovered fascism around the time of the save game corruption ...
[This message has been edited by be0wulfe (edited December 04, 2000).]
[This message has been edited by be0wulfe (edited December 06, 2000).]
Old December 4, 2000, 16:12   #2
skorpion59
Prince

Local Time: 03:09
I haven't got into this very far yet but I can tell you that statement is correct, it just doesn't go far enough. The map scenario creation stipulation of always exiting CtP before doing anything else, holds true here also.

Always exit and re-enter CtP anytime you want to work on/play a differet game. NEVER load or start a new game from any other menu. I don't know why this keeps errors from being introduced but experience shows it does. (This is a general CtP statement, I, in no way, am saying it will prevent the current corrupt game problems everybody seems to be having.)

Also, this shouldn't need saying but it does, when you are having a lot of errors like this, always get rid of ALL modifications and go back to the default installation before troubleshooting. Otherwise you will never know if it is something YOU have introduced. I can't tell you how many times Activision has been repeatedly cursed and blamed for something when it was a user-created problem all along.

Another one which shouldn't need saying is, when you encounter an error in CtP, including CtP closing (on its own) but not issuing an error msg, ALWAYS exit and re-start WINDOWS before doing anything else.

[This message has been edited by skorpion59 (edited December 04, 2000).]
Old December 6, 2000, 21:39   #3
Darkknight
NationStates
Prince

Activision has stated that the save game bug is fixed in the current patch they are programming but they are waiting a few weeks to fix the multiplayer.

------------------
" mind over body "
Old December 10, 2000, 01:46   #4
Shooter
Settler

Ack! Weeks? I just lost my second game to this bug, now I'm 1 for 3 for finishing my games. And they have the cause wrong, or at least not completely correct. I never load a game from within a game (the only time I save is when I quit). The game just crashes when I get lots of tech, then won't reload.

Maybe I best put this game on the shelf for a while...

Shooter