Old November 26, 2000, 01:29   #1
Dom Pedro II
King

Local Time: 09:09
Local Date: October 31, 2010
Is it just me, or is combat very easy?
It seems to me that with the armies in this game, it is much easier to achieve military victory. All you need for your army is good units that do not have to exceed in number that of the defenders of any given city. It works much better since all of your forces engage the enemy at once. But it seems to me that the AI doesn't put up much of a fight either. In all the time I've been playing, I've never even been attacked even when I put my troops outside of a city.

------------------
"...The highest realization of warfare is to attack the enemy's plans; next is to attack their alliances; next to attack their army; and the lowest is to attack their fortified cities." - Sun Tzu

"I think anybody who doesn't think I'm smart enough to handle this job is under-estimating" - George "Dubya" Bush

Dom Pedro II - 2nd and last Emperor of the Empire of Brazil (1831 - 1889). :Hannibal3
Old November 26, 2000, 09:37   #2
MarkG

quote:

even when I put my troops outside of a city
strange, it is nearly certain that the ai will bombard me when i leave a unit outside an enemy city

Old November 26, 2000, 14:15   #3
Dom Pedro II
King

Yeah, I don't know why. I declared war on one civilization and had a whole army waiting at their front door. They made no attempt to stop me. Maybe it was because I was playing on an easier level. I don't know. But it's not entirely true that they never attacked me. Once they killed a Diplomat on a peace mission.
Old November 27, 2000, 10:04   #4
Forster
Apolyton University
Settler

They always bombard me, at least if they have units capable of doing that. I've played the next to the most difficult setting, huge, slightly more water than land settings. Kind of disappointed in the level of AI expertise. Had hoped they would have much improved it from CCTP, but it appears it is only a marginal improvement.
Old November 27, 2000, 10:39   #5
Carrion
Chieftain

Thats is rather strange because I'm playing a lan game with my buddy on medium difficulty and He is getting pounded by the AI players. They leave me alone because I'm very far from their empires so I'm able to send army's over to his area and harass their re-enforcements. *shrugs* Maybe you are playing an AI player that isn't good at war like ohhhh the French.
Old November 27, 2000, 12:12   #6
TheLimey
Prince

Or the Italians
Old November 27, 2000, 19:20   #7
The diplomat
King

Local Time: 03:09
Maybe you are right: certain civs are programmed to be more pacifist than others and therefore easier to kick around. I have found in my games that the AI is not necessarily bad at war just more defensive in most cases than it should. It seems to me that the AI plays defense. I have only played on medium difficulty. Perhaps on more difficult levels, the AI is more aggressive. Here is an example. In my first game. I was playing the Incans. They are fascist. And it is the year 1800 or so. We are both well in the modern era with bombers and SAM's. I am currently reasearching tanks which I will get in about 6 turns.
So far, I have had the hardest time in taking even one city on his main continent. The AI has tons of units (and well mixed up to, lots of fascist units combined with artillery, cavalry) in each city. So, as I have said, the AI is really good at defense. But eventually it will fall, especially when I get those tanks rolling. The AI has not tried to attack me. It just lets me throw my troops against its rock solid defensive positions.
Old November 27, 2000, 20:38   #8
Rollo Tomasi
Chieftain

I've managed to conquer 2/3 of the known world with one stack of knights and catapults (in the Alexander scenario). I made another identical army, and I'm confident those two will make short work of India. Or will they?
Old November 27, 2000, 22:48   #9
colorme
Warlord

You know that the real Alexander turned tail and ran, when confronted with the Indian empire, don't you

Be very, very careful.
Old November 28, 2000, 00:25   #10
Dom Pedro II
King

Ok. I'm starting to take back what I said... The AI WAS very easy to defeat. Then I reached occupied Bremen... My war with the Scots was going well. I had taken a Scottish port city. Then I took Dusseldorf. I brought my brand new Battleship down to occupied Leipzig and began bombarding the city. I moved my 1st Artillery unit toward the city, but by the time they arrived, the enemy had been defeated and I walked right in.

Having done that, I sent my army down to the quiet little town of Bremen. Little did I realize that the entire Scottish army was waiting for me there. About ten catapults and cannons and an army of cavalry and defensive units. You don't realize how ineffective bombarding units are until they get to fire second! Those artillery units in the city pounded me every turn. Luckily, I had some defense units, but even they didn't help much. Needless to say, I did numerous reloading.

FINALLY, I was able to use a small squadron of four fighters to take out the remaining catapult, cannon, and two defensive units. So maybe it's tougher than I originally thought.
Old November 28, 2000, 00:32   #11
colorme
Warlord

again, as mentioned by others too - AI defense is good. its the offense that sucks.

problem is that if you're playing Bloodlust, essentially you can take your time picking out the AI cities slowly (even if this is expensive), and you'll still win because it won't be able to get them back.

you'll soon see that it'll be fairly easy to conquer one civ completely in a short time (in fact while you're out there capturing its cities, it'll still keep fighting silly border skirmishes with other civs).
Old November 28, 2000, 06:45   #12
swat-spas
Settler

I agree completely that the computer plays defense. I was playing on hard difficulty with the Japanese as Fascist Imperialist AI opponents being my major warring faction. For the longest time I was trashing my own military with machine gunners and artillery, bashing it like crazy up against huge stacks of units (mainly fascists and artillery) in its cities, sometimes it would take up to 24 units just to capture a city. Even with bombardment prior to. As expected though, tanks got me rolling right along, although as I've said in another thread, the computer doesn't do much to attack or even to counter-attack when you first take over a city. The computer likes to pick off stray units outside of your cities, like units that were marching up to the front and didn't quite make it. It also likes the empty troop ship/empty aircraft carrier/empty helicopter unit. Kinna defeats the purpose of those units don't you think?
Old November 28, 2000, 07:02   #13
DaddyCool
Chieftain

Local Time: 04:09
quote:

Originally posted by colorme on 11-27-2000 09:48 PM

You know that the real Alexander turned tail and ran, when confronted with the Indian empire, don't you

His army threatened mutiny if he didn't turn back...he wanted to keep going.

[This message has been edited by DaddyCool (edited November 28, 2000).]
Old November 28, 2000, 18:48   #14
Carrion
Chieftain

quote:

Originally posted by Troll on 11-28-2000 05:25 PM

Heh Heh Heh Heh..like The man said once.."Only two things come from Canada(Canadians are are considered Frenchmen )...and those are Hockey Players and Whores...thats why when I play MP games and capture a Frenchie-mans City..I rename it.."FREE FRENCH WHORES!!..like I am assuming there are any other kind??

Troll

Damn and I thought I was prejudice against the French. Guess you are more than me Troll.
Old November 30, 2000, 01:48   #15
Grandpa Troll
supporter
PolyCast TeamApolytoners Hall of Fame
Immortal Factotum

Local Time: 05:09
quote:

Originally posted by Carrion on 11-28-2000 05:48 PM
Damn and I thought I was prejudice against the French. Guess you are more than me Troll.

Just a wee bit O' Humor my friend..if the 'Ole Frenchies cannot take it..I am sorry..I listen to all sorts of comments when I am online about Americans..and I take it with a grain of salt..just a bit of fun!!

Troll

Old December 7, 2000, 18:11   #16
hHydro
Chieftain

quote:

Originally posted by Troll on 11-28-2000 05:25 PM

Heh Heh Heh Heh..like The man said once.."Only two things come from Canada(Canadians are are considered Frenchmen )...and those are Hockey Players and Whores...

Troll

Whoah. What the hell are you talking about? Since when are Canadians Frenchmen by default? I don't speak a LICK of french, and I 'abitually make fun of de french Canadien guy 'hoo sits beside me. Sucker.

Those of us on the west coast have a bit more panache. =)

Tsk. Hockey players and whores indeed..

... you forgot about the maple syrup.

(..oh.. and Alex Trebek. Don't forget him.)
Old December 7, 2000, 23:55   #17
MrFun
Emperor

Local Time: 04:09
Ok guys, stop before you start making deragatory jokes about blacks and Asians.
Old December 9, 2000, 00:27   #18
Grandpa Troll
supporter
Immortal Factotum

quote:

Originally posted by hHydro on 12-07-2000 05:11 PM
Whoah. What the hell are you talking about? Since when are Canadians Frenchmen by default? I don't speak a LICK of french, and I 'abitually make fun of de french Canadien guy 'hoo sits beside me. Sucker.

Those of us on the west coast have a bit more panache. =)

Tsk. Hockey players and whores indeed..

... you forgot about the maple syrup.

(..oh.. and Alex Trebek. Don't forget him.)

And Wild Cherry..Anne Murraay..and Bachman Turner Overdrive and The Guess Who.....and Pierre Elliott Trudeau..and one of my Favorite Martial Artists of All time..Jean Yves Therriault(maybe misspelled his name??)..Rush..featuring Getty Lee

But I was looking to stir up some emotion..I did..I will stop...

I grew up in Calais (pronounced Call-US)..not the French pronounciation of (Cal-Lay) Maine..

Have a blessed night...

Long Live Norm Ullman..Dave Keon...Howie Meeker Scotty Bowman...and BOB and Doug MacKenzie!!!!!!!!

~sile~..Ohh Canada....

Long Live Paul Henderson

Troll

Old December 9, 2000, 07:40   #19
avonlea
Settler

quote:

Originally posted by colorme on 11-27-2000 09:48 PM

Be very, very careful.

I remember from history that India was a construct of the British Empire. Before that there were just small kingdoms across the subcontinent. Alexander was too far from home (his soldiers were afraid they would never make it back), he was sick, his father had died, and Indians had/have really bad body odor; or something like that. :P
Old December 9, 2000, 07:44   #20
avonlea
Settler

quote:

Originally posted by MrFun on 12-07-2000 10:55 PM

Hey, you live in Iowa! I wish I enjoyed your demographics! Lighten up!
Old December 9, 2000, 17:03   #21
Grandpa Troll
supporter
Immortal Factotum

quote:

Originally posted by avonlea on 12-09-2000 06:44 AM
Hey, you live in Iowa! I wish I enjoyed your demographics! Lighten up!

Heh Heh Heh

Me..I am Troll.my Demographics are poor lost souls who come under my bridges of life Opportunities and are overcome..so many seeking refuge..so many become afflicted with the will to survive my wrath..my chameleon-esque ability to change to a favorable status only to leach onto the hopes and chances...that are fleeting all whom encounter my path...and you know what chances they are..SLIM & NONE..and Slim was backtracking rather quickly...
I am

Troll Meister..

Troll Monger

Troll-Gan Horse

I am that whom speaks out to the Masses of Piquing Interest and Invoking a Thought Provoking response..and Have been Challeneged by That foolio in Civ 3 Forum Moderator Status that wont allow picking on Percieved Images..of Australians..
~Sigh~

I am Troll-Rage....

Y O Y Cant we be challenged to accept subtle yet distinct difference in Demographics?

Isnt This Really why we play Civ-Genre Games..to rule the world..to Implement our Visions of Lifestyles and Micro-Management...

I am Harmless..and I think we all can "Agree-2-Disagree"

OOOPPSS..Sorry..My Big Buddy Big Dave told me in no uncertain terms..that I shouldnt say that term!!
Heh Heh Heh

Like Im gonna listen to someone from Texas!!

Troll

The Former DrDanger Patton..Red October Ronin and so many other Nic's

Old December 11, 2000, 10:29   #22
Carrion
Chieftain

quote:

Originally posted by MrFun on 12-07-2000 10:55 PM

Why are Asians and Blacks more special than the French and the Canadians?

I've personally got nothing against the Canadians. In general those Frenchies seem to be rude and arrogant. Thats about the only prejudice bone in my body. That and I can't stand white trash.
Old December 11, 2000, 16:02   #23
Paul_1868
Settler

quote:

Originally posted by Dom Pedro II on 11-26-2000 01:15 PM
Yeah, I don't know why. I declared war on one civilization and had a whole army waiting at their front door. They made no attempt to stop me. Maybe it was because I was playing on an easier level. I don't know. But it's not entirely true that they never attacked me. Once they killed a Diplomat on a peace mission.

I have been playing the game for the last month and the AI has not attacked one of my cities. It takes out allot of the fun when there is not a threat of an invasion.

Old December 11, 2000, 23:39   #24
Alpha Wolf
Chieftain

I'm playing at the higher levels and occasionally when I leave a city underdefended, the AI will attack it. There's a whole series of calculations the AI goes thru to determine whether to attack. If it doesnt seem likely that they can win, they wont attack.

------------------
History is written by the victor.