Old December 17, 2000, 00:58   #1
D4everman
Prince

Local Time: 09:11
Local Date: October 31, 2010
my two cents
Heres just a few thoughts from my first few games of CTP2.

First, I have to say this game is far far superior to CTP1. Actually, its what CTP1 SHOULD have been! (Maybe they should have titled this one CALL TO POWER: THE APOLOGY.)

Even though there are national borders it seems that you can build a city within someone’s borders. I say that because I had established a few cities on a small island when suddenly I could see the outline of another city in the corner within the boundaries of my city. (The presence of this city pushed my border back, natch) I sent out a unit to investigate and found that the Indians had built a city there. They wouldn’t hand it over so I took it and disbanded it (size 2). The fact that it was size 2 was amazing as my city had every usable resource covered. Since that time I’ve noticed that four times the indians have tried to settle in areas that I’ve claimed already. What a pain. Reminds me of CIV2 when the AI would build cities and you’d never know they were there until you accidentally walked into it.

The AI still hasn’t got a clue about reading the signs. Early in this same game I wiped out the aussies. We were pretty much on the same continent and the Native Americans were to our south. Threes a crowd and I knew I’d never unseat the NA so the aussies had to go. They only had three cities and I slaved the hell out of Botany Bay and Melbourne before taking them...but when I attacked Sydney they had several archers, a few hoplites and SIX coracles in there! Why the coracles? They must have known I was going to take Sydney. What good were those coracles going to do? (Unlike a previous game where the mexicans had about eight fascists and four artillery units in a city I was trying to take...whoo, they held on to the last man!)

Diplomatically the AI pisses me off at times. Which isn’t a bad thing...but when the AI constantly rejects my requests to get the hell out of my territories I just wish they’d declare war so I wouldn’t have to do it all of the time. The mexicans pretty much forced me to attack by plunking units right next to my cities and refusing to leave. Do spies count as breaking the “don’t trespass” treaties? ‘Cuz Santa Anna had about five of those guys wandering around my cities. By the way has anyone seen a cleric or televangelist yet? I’ve yet to see one in action.

Well, back to my game...if you’ve just gotten it and you’re like me...not an expert but not really a novice, don’t play the default setting of medium. Its too easy. Set the game on hard at least with a a kaboodle of other civs. Any advice or comments would be greatly appreciated.

Old December 17, 2000, 01:25   #2
Alpha Wolf
Chieftain

I've seen tons of AI cities plopped within my borders. Needless to say, I dont care who they are, they had better hand them over or they are toast.

I agree that the AI now seems to build too many ships, but i guess its better than the ton of diplomats they used to build. I wish they could know when they are needed and only build them then.

And I thought the AI was supposed to honor the no trespass but all they seem to do is to fortify where they are (usually on a road and in my way).

------------------
History is written by the victor.
Old December 17, 2000, 02:15   #3
Dragonfly
Chieftain

Local Time: 01:11
I am almost finished with my first game, and some of these things happened to me, as well.

I got lucky early and blitzed my next door neighbor the Americans. 3 cities for me, 1 of which I disbanded and moved slightly.

Next, I got VERY lucky, and found 2 bottlenecks on my continent, and built "walls of flesh" there to keep my next 2 neighbors out. Didn't quite work however, as the English got in there before I could send a settler, and took some land away. I surrounded THAT city with more units.

I have favorable pacts with both my neighbors now, but occassionally they will run units through my area for no reason at all. I have everything protected with sleeping Artillery, though, so if they try anything, they have had it. But it does give me a start on occasion.

I believe I heard some early enemy Slavers (the sound effect anyway). Never saw any, and I never had time to build any. Somehow I got Emancipation too fast. I have never seen a Cleric, Televangelist, Spy, Diplomat anywhere that didn't belong to me. I did see one Corporate branch, but it went from the Irish capitol to his biggest city, went inside and never came out again. I shadowed it with a Diplomat. It only ever got within 20 hexes of my borders.

I have also seen plenty of Aircraft Carriers with no planes, and Troop transports with no loaded units. It is puzzling what they are doing, they seem to be sailing around to no purpose.

Well, I have 1 more guy to strong-arm into the Alliance or take his last 5 cities, then I should have the Diplomatic Victory. Onward !
Old December 17, 2000, 03:30   #4
marcuspeddle
Iron CiversCivilization IV PBEM
Emperor

Local Time: 18:11
Diplomacy sometimes ticks me off but sometimes it works in my favour. Nobody was cooperating with me at all (except now and then if I offered lots of gold or a city) until I built the Empire State Building. Suddenly other nations were calling me up and asking to trade maps all the time. I'm going to try and sign a few pacts before they lose their regard of me. I had hoped that the Empire State Building would help me sign a cease fire with the English but no such luck. I've offered them cities, 10,000 gold and my sister but they still won't agree to stop fighting. They're quite a bit more powerful than me, too, so it really sucks.
I've seen the cleric a couple of times. I noticed one walking around down south and a couple of German cities with a cross symbol next to the name display. none ever came to my country, though. Yesterday I saw the English send out a lawyer but I didn't see where he went. I didn't notice any of my cities have stopped production symbols next them.
Old December 17, 2000, 03:41   #5
ElitePersian
Prince

It's always the SAME DAMN CIVS!! Americans, english, irish, north americans, scottish...etc..depends on how many civs u play but thos civs always show up!
Old December 17, 2000, 17:10   #6
Martock
Warlord

Local Time: 04:11
i've seen PLENTY of spies, diplomats, clerics, and corporate branches running about the place. i've even HEARD the chains breaking sound clip from abolishnists and if i opened up the cheat menu and took a peak at the world, sure enough, they'd be doing their thing all over. so it does seem like the AI is using them. mind you, i'm playing on impossible level and i've done a bit of tweaking here and there.