Old December 17, 2000, 22:56   #1
aebbeka
Civilization III PBEMCivilization IV PBEM
King

Local Time: 03:11
Local Date: October 31, 2010
CTP2 better than CTP1?
I have only played CTP2, so I would not know which is better. I thought it would be interesting to hear what people who have played both think is the best.
Old December 17, 2000, 23:05   #2
phoenixcager

I prefer CtP2's new interface, the combat system, the ability to form armies, the diplomacy options.

I don't like the fact that there's no more space cities & units, though. Also, i prefer some of the old unit graphics.

Old December 18, 2000, 02:17   #3
MrFun
Emperor

Local Time: 04:11
I enjoy CTP II, but was disappointed by the new diplomacy system.

Be warned - the new diplomacy system is merely eye candy until you actually experience its use. The AI does not use all the diplomatic options.

Old December 18, 2000, 04:18   #4
The Viceroy
Prince

Local Time: 10:11
I think CTP2 just about has it .. I think the over-all feeling and play is better, its great to have a game where the items im building don't become obsolete before they are finished all the time. The AI is a little smarter, homing in on goods, and protecting them with troops until a settler arrives . The diplomacy is much improved (but still room for improvement for AI players), other civs don't hate me all the time and I can make many more kinds of alliances. The counter option is a great idea also.

However, I don't like the new message system (much prefer CTP1's), The game seriously slows down after playing it for a while (Ive only got 64Mb of RAM .. DOH) due to disk thrashing (I probably need de-frag ).. but my biggest gripe is the forced civs on Begginer/easy .. and the fact that the same track plays all the time if your the chinese .. AHHHHhh (well, it did for me, I kept picking random tracks, and it kept changing it .. just like nonRandomCivs and beginner/Easy).

Old December 18, 2000, 08:51   #5
Dyzee400
Chieftain

Local Time: 09:11
Yes, I think Call to Power II is a much improved game over CTP1. I like the AI better (there's always room for alot of improvement, though). They just seem smarter. Guarding settlers with troops, making cities on 1x1 sea islands when you are taking them over in order to escape you, and a decent diplomacy screen. I also think the trade system is much improved. And the fact that almost all of the wonders do not expire (unlike CTP1) is a big advantage over the old game. These are just a few reasons that I like this game better. Oh yeah, and I'm very glad they took the "space cities" out. Space was nothing more than a translucent white sheet above the Earth. It was useless and stupid, IMHO. I keep forgetting things - I also like the new nation borders as well as the expanding city radius.

I also have a few complaints. The message/alert system makes for too much clicking. In CTP1, they pop up on the left side and allowed for easy navigating. In CTP2, there's too much clicking and the eye ball when you open a message should open that city's build queue. Also, there are some problems with the tech tree. It's not designed all that well, to be honest. Facism in the BC's? In CTP1 Facism didn't arrive until much later on. Oh well, there's a few more but I can't recall them now. It's too early in the morning.

Hope this helped
Old December 18, 2000, 14:07   #6
Dyzee400
Chieftain

Exactly. Call to Power 1 had a feature similiar to this. When you opened a message it had a little button that when it was clicked went to where you could change production, etc. for that city. The messages took a step backwards in this game. The little eyeball should bring you right to the build manager.
Old December 18, 2000, 18:11   #7
mosquitodriver
Chieftain

honestly i think ctp1 with all the patches and mods was better than ctp2 out of the box. ctp1 out of the box was about as bad a game as you can get so not much more needs to be said on that. however i will say that ctp2 has great potential and after some patches and mods it will really be a better game, its too bad that its still so darn boring and serious, atleast civ2 made you laugh now and then and was interesting with its little tid bits. ctp2 is just so blah!!!!!
Old December 19, 2000, 01:40   #8
aebbeka
Civilization III PBEMCivilization IV PBEM
King

Local Time: 03:11
I also think the message system should be improved. There should be an option where you can have the message windows pop up at the beginning of every turn. Then, like SMAC & CivII, it should have options like, Zoom to Build Manager or something!