Old December 27, 2000, 22:37   #1
JC Denton
Chieftain

Local Time: 09:13
Local Date: October 31, 2010
A new review - this time from PC GAMER itself
Hey,
Today I got the new February issue of PC Gamer - and what do I see? The magic words "Call To Power II" in the Reviews List on the 2nd page! Quickly to page 78... Call To Power II in the heading, I am on the right page, aha, and 74% in the "final verdict" box. While reading the highs and lows I notice some words which became very popular as topic headings on this forum. All right, enough waiting here is the complete final verdict:
"Highs: Effective interface; great multiplay; expanded diplomacy; decent enemy AI.
Lows: Still those dumb stealth units; societies lack individuality; stupid diplomacy swaps.
Bottom Line: What the original was intended to be - but still no Alpha Centauri."
Old December 28, 2000, 02:27   #2
phoenixcager

Why should CtP2 be measured by whatever standards were set in SMAC?

It is a completely different game. Can't they appreciate it for what it is?

------------------
phoenixcager
------------------
of the the Civilization Gaming Network. Visit the CGN Forums

Old December 28, 2000, 08:55   #3
Coflek

It is obvious now that this is no CIV 2 or SMAC success... but I love the game... I guess it falls into that *not for everyone* category, but for civ genre fans it's great...

Old December 29, 2000, 10:28   #4
Private Viper
Warlord

Local Time: 10:13
February issue? Wow, kinda early, no?

As for measuring up to SMAC, that's something that comes with reviews nowadays. Every first-person shooter is either compared to Half-Life or Q3A, depending on what type of shooter it is. RTS games against Starcraft, Red Alert and Homeworld (which sucked, IMHO). If it fits the genre, it will have to measure up.

Anyway, I have yet to try CTP2, so I won't judge. Yet

------------------
In articulus sic aeternus
Spiritus donec dies fas
Dies Irae, Dies Illa
Solvet saeclum in favilla
Old December 30, 2000, 01:03   #5
Cyrius
Chieftain

Local Time: 09:13
Grrr... Sometimes I am puzzled by PCG's unusual opinions on games. I would let me subscription expire, but I don't know of any better magazines.

quote:

Lows: Still those dumb stealth units;

I for one think that the stealth units are why I play this game! Unconventional warfare is a crucial feature of any civ-type game. WTF is PCG thinking? I'm just said the theocracy isn't so ultra-powerful in CTP2

quote:

societies lack individuality;

Lack individuality? Not in my opinion. Some nations are easier to befriend than others, some research more than others, some trade more than others, ect. ect. I usually spend the early game trying to figure out who to ally with and who to declare war on. I haven't seen that kind of dynamic in many civ games.

quote:

stupid diplomacy swaps.

I really have no idea what they are talking about here. The diplomacy system? One of the greatest features of CTP2. So... ?