Old December 28, 2000, 00:05   #1
moocow17
Chieftain

Local Time: 09:14
Local Date: October 31, 2010
dumb question with an easy answer...i hope
in my first game since i got ctp2, another civ (the americans if it matters) prance around in my territory. i'm thinking "don't borders mean anything?" but they're hostile towards me so okay, i'll do the diplomacy thing. they agreed to withdraw from my territory (many times)but here's the thing : they agree to withdraw, but then nothing happens! it's not like ctp1 where they'd agree not to trespass, then immiediately break it, this time they don't even bother withdrawing. it doesn't show up as a broken treaty. can someone explain what's going on?
Old December 28, 2000, 00:35   #2
Alpha Wolf
Chieftain

I've always wondered if the AI just gets confused. it agrees to not move into your territory but is already deep into so no matter where it moves it would be breaking the agreement. So therefore, it "thinks" it cant move.

------------------
History is written by the victor.
Old December 28, 2000, 02:35   #3
phoenixcager

Haven't experienced anything like this, but I've been wondering about it.

Now that the units don't just teleport back to the home country (like in previous games), what does the AI do when such a treaty is made?

Also, there's that thing about Diplomats and settlers not being affected by 'stop trespass' treaties. There are tons of enemy settlers moving through my territory in the game I'm currently playing.

------------------
phoenixcager
------------------
of the the Civilization Gaming Network. Visit the CGN Forums

Old December 28, 2000, 05:16   #4
Michiel B de Boer
Chieftain

quote:

Also, there's that thing about Diplomats and settlers not being affected by 'stop trespass' treaties. There are tons of enemy settlers moving through my territory in the game I'm currently playing.

You can kick those units out. Use a cheap, fast moving military unit like the mounted archers.
Old December 28, 2000, 14:55   #5
Paulypav
Warlord

I think that it is only considered trespassing if you are in the city's radius, not within the borders. I've noticed that I never get asked to leave another empire's territory until I've entered their city radius. Just a thought.

------------------
“The American people have now spoken, but it’s going to take a little while to determine exactly what
they said.” — President Clinton
Old December 28, 2000, 19:50   #6
Dyzee400
Chieftain

I think it's borders, not city radius isn't it? I'm not sure so please correct me if this is wrong. From my experiences anyway I think it's borders. Or, I just could have been dreaming about the game. Seriously.
Old December 28, 2000, 20:00   #7
moocow17
Chieftain

thanks for the replies guys they were informative. i did not know that units weren't 'teleported' out like in ctp1. i wish the ai would at least make an effort to get out of my territory. and these guys were right next to a city, so that point is moot. any answers as to whether this is a problem with ai or just something i'm missing would be greatly appreciated
Old December 29, 2000, 01:25   #8
Falconeer
Chieftain

Don't think it's anything you're missing. Quite a few people on these forums have commented about it. Occaisonally the AI will move out of your borders when signing the treaty but usually not. I suspect it's as someone above posted in that where the units are no longer teleported back to their home cities, they get confused as to where to go.

The ideas of borders were a great concept to add; I just don't think they were fully coded into the game. Not only does the computer not remove troops from them, but even if you have a peace treaty, you cannot move through borders without upsetting your ally even though it states you can in the help files. Think both of these are issues for a patch.
Old December 29, 2000, 01:33   #9
Dyzee400
Chieftain

You can also take the "civilian" status off these units such as settlers. Not sure how to do it but I read it in a post and it's pretty simple.
Old December 30, 2000, 04:33   #10
moocow17
Chieftain

Falconeer - beautiful, that's what i wanted to hear. well i was hoping someone would tell me i was missing something, and here's what you do to get the game to run perfectly, but what you said was the answer i was looking for, thanks.

And guys if i can continue this "i hope i'm missing something" thread, i've found a more pressing problem. I should say i don't have the 1.1 patch yet. i didn't know about it when i started my first game, and i was going to finish it up first before d/l'ing. the problem is this : if you've got an army of units, let's say 6 cannons and 6 cavalry. the cannons can bombard obviously. but when they're in a group they can't. everyone in the group must be able to perform the function or it doesn't happen. ctp1 fans will know that it wasn't this way. it was only 9 groups in a stack then but the principle is the same. 4 cannons 5 cavalry, you order a bombard, and the 4 cannons bombard, the entire stacks turn is over. getting back to ctp2, you have to separate the cannons from your army each time you want to bombard. anyone getting what i'm saying? anyone agree with me this sucks? this isn't fixed in the patch is it? i looked through the list, and didn't see it
Old December 30, 2000, 05:52   #11
Michiel B de Boer
Chieftain

I just discovered that you can even kick all settlers and diplomats etc out of a military stack in neutral territory with a ship ! LOL
Old December 30, 2000, 17:09   #12
colorme
Warlord

If you click on the army symbol at the bottom bar, you'll see a list of the units in that army. Then, if you select any one cannon (left click on the bottom bar), you'll see the bombard option. You can then bombard, and all cannons will bombard.

But, I agree the whole thing is pretty non-intuitive
Old December 31, 2000, 18:49   #13
Cyrius
Chieftain

quote:

Originally posted by Dyzee400 on 12-28-2000 12:33 PM
You can also take the "civilian" status off these units such as settlers. Not sure how to do it but I read it in a post and it's pretty simple.

Really?! Anyone know if we can "attach" civilian status to non-combat transports? Its really iritating when I can't get diplomats to friendly countries across the ocean without pissing them off.

MooCow, yeah, you just click on the arrow symbol on an army, and well all the units show up, clik on a bombarder and then choose bombard. For some reason every bombard in the stack will then bombard the target. I have no idea how the heck you can split up bombarding pieces.