Old January 4, 2001, 06:33   #1
Boney
Call to Power II MultiplayerCall to Power Multiplayer
Warlord

Local Time: 10:16
Local Date: October 31, 2010
impossible-easy ha ha ha
This is an amazing tactic that I discovered by accident. But let me give a brief background first.
I began the game with regular map and 8 civs. Impossble/raging hordes. I slowly enlarged my empire by picking off the Americans, as usual. I tweaked fascism to 45 cities and corporate republic to 60, but it turned out a little unnecessary. Now let me cut the crap and get to the amazing tactic, Gaia controller before 1950, yes it is true. I just could not believe it myself. It was only by reading other posts that I realised what I had done.

One thing I like to do during the game is to have a research pact with a nearby weak civ. For this game I chose the irish, I had been nice to them for ages and they trusted and liked me. Now it seems that for some reason when you have a research pact, the Al civ makes a new discovery nearly every turn. So in order to benefit I have to make sure that it is researching something that I have not got. Every time it discovers something we just swap advances. But on this game it reached a point where it kept trying to research things that I already had. Also by this time I was pretty powerful, so I would demand it stop research on that particular thing. Eventually sick of my requests to stop research, the last request had to be backed with the threat of war, it began researching Gaia controller. After about 15 turns around 1900, before I had even discovered tank warfare, I was able to trade something (I forget what) for the Gaia controller. To cut a long story short I plodded away got my tanks, stacks of 12 just cut through other civs like a hot knife through butter. 1950 victory, even though I had only just discovered adv. military tactics.

Has anyone any better ideas.
And I do think the Als are too passive and very stupid, what can I do to make them more challenging?

Old January 4, 2001, 12:54   #2
MrFun
Emperor

Local Time: 04:16
Have you done what MarkG suggested over a week ago? Increase the time for the AI to make its decisions. I have noticed some difference with this, but nothing dramatic.
Old January 5, 2001, 12:06   #3
cdo2001
Settler

Local Time: 09:16
i got the same experience in my current game, with 30 cities and under democracy in 1300AD, i (japanese on a world map, impossible/toughest babar/8civ) covers all asia and most europe, i beat greek to 3 cities, made peace treaty with them, and suddenly in 1100AD something, they proposed a research pact with me, after we swapped some research, greek's sci output is just unbelievable with the only 3 cities they have, they surpassed my sci in just 10 turns and makes advs every 2-3 turns, though they demand too much gold for their adv and i don't have any new adv to swap with them. This looks like a bug to me.
Old January 5, 2001, 12:13   #4
MrFun
Emperor

Local Time: 04:16
Not only increase the time for AI to make its decisions, but also double all MaxEval and MaxExec numbers in the strategies.txt file under aidata folder. There are also other basic modifications one can make regarding AI - try to locate the other posts that discuss AI modification under Creation.