Old January 4, 2001, 17:45   #31
David Murray
Prince

Local Time: 09:17
Local Date: October 31, 2010
This scenario is an utter copout. I remember playing the WWII scenario in Civ2 and it was absolutely and utterly breathtaking (at the time). It was the first time I played a Civ game and I was engrossed for many, many hours on that scenario! Sid and Co. put so much effort into their WWII scenario. Activision's attempt is as weak as p*ss and utterly boring.

BTW welcome to Miranda, I hope you post some more, your posts are absolutely hilarious.

------------------
"Never trust a politician who believes business creates oppression and government creates jobs."
Old January 5, 2001, 12:09   #32
Mantis29
Settler

I DLed it and got to almost a meg/sec on my cable modem. Took no time at all.

And you guys have wrecked my day. I was SO looking forward to this, (I too loved Sid & Co's WWII) and now you all tell me it's crap... lol

Oh well, what can we expect? They weren't getting any cash outta the deal, why take pride in the effort, right guys?

I'm sure it won't be too long before one of us grognard types makes a GOOD WWII scenario. He((, I might even get around to it myself...

Actually, I'll make a deal with someone:

I'm a game designer, reviewer (gamer.com), and diehard grognard. But I HATE drawing up the maps. If someone here will make me a very large, GOOD map of the world, (must be original) I'll complete the scenario from there. In a game design (hoping to release in a year or so, board format) we've started the war from where it SHOULD start (not the American-ized '41 start we are all so familiar with), in Sept. '39. If any of you have ever had a go at trying to design a scenario or some such thing from there, you'll understand the problems of balance, etc. It's difficult to have such a tiny Germany blossom within the rules framework.

So I can't promise a '39 start, but I'll try. I've got all the relevent data to include the entire world (we have alot of action in S. America and the India/Asia theatres in our game) so there'll be no problem there.

If anyone can deliver on the map, or if anyone would like to offer assistance; if anyone has historical numbers ready to access, or wishes to offer suggestions or playtesting, please contact me at mantis29a@home.com and we'll take it from there!

**Warning!** For potential playtesters - this will be a long and repetitive process, so if patience isn't one of your virtues, please don't apply!

If you decide to do the map, please let me know that you're starting the project!
Old January 5, 2001, 15:25   #33
Mantis29
Settler

Sorry, guys, I'm gonna have to raincheque that last message. A new project has come down the pipeline, and I've been given a rather involving game to review. (Sicily)

I'll try to get back to this project at another time, when my free time can once again go to a few things that I enjoy, rather than to commitments!
Old January 10, 2001, 01:43   #34
Diadochi
Settler

I played as the French once and won without too much difficulty. However the real disappointment was the map. I expected as least the war in Europe, and got only the Fall of France. A mediocre scenario.