Old January 8, 2001, 18:33   #1
Paul D
Chieftain

Local Time: 09:18
Local Date: October 31, 2010
Glad I Didn't Buy! No More Activision For Me!

Wow.. am I ever glad I didn't drop a dime on this peice of crap! I knew better this time around that all this hype from Activision would show to be false. From all the posts I've seen in here, Activision has utterly FAILED to accomplish even fundamental function for this game (once again).

No scenarios with the initial game, AI sucks, unstable, AI sucks, save game problems, AI sucks, border problems, AI sucks...

I bought my LAST activision game a couple of years ago. I will never trust them for any quality output again. Are you getting the message yet there Action-less vision-less? You better.. its a tough market, and if there is one thing the consumer won't stand for, its incompetence in software developers.
Old January 8, 2001, 18:46   #2
Colonel Kraken
PtWDG Legoland
Warlord

Local Time: 04:18
You're probably right on every account. Unfortunately for us and fortunately for Activision, most of us die hard civ game fans want new civ games so badly we bought the game despite bad experiences with CTP1. We're so desperate, we bought it with knee jerk reaction --like some kind of addicts who can't wait until CivIII comes out.

I have to admit, though, (and I think most would) there are many things that make CTP fun and quite interesting. It is still enjoyable to play, at least in some small measure (with my own personal mods, of course). $50 is quite a lot of money to pay for a game with so many flaws, but my wife and I play it so much I guess we're getting our money's worth.

Old January 8, 2001, 19:15   #3
jkadabomb
Warlord

My dear goodness, if everybody chose not to buy any game where the AI sucked then pretty much every game would remain on the shelves. StarCraft's AI was extremely easy, Command & Conquer's AI was extremely horrible, Civ 2's AI was easy, SMAC's AI was easy(although I think it has the best TBS AI in that the civs could actually take over each other) Baldur's Gate 2's AI sux also. In fact in all of these games the AI cheats a **** load(especially starcraft) and that's why you may end up losing. I really honestly think Civ2 has a worse AI then CTP2(well actually Civ's 2 ai is much easier to program since it isnt as complex of a game). Oh ya and Paul D there are scenarios with the initial release. I havent had any stability problems, Heck I havent even run into A SINGLE SAVE GAME PROBLEM. In fact no game is perfect. And some of the imperfections you say about the game I havent once experienced. I guess I am just lucky.
Old January 8, 2001, 21:09   #4
MarkG

quote:

No scenarios with the initial game
what are you talking about????

are you sure you have been reading these forums well?

Old January 8, 2001, 22:18   #5
Spiker22
Settler

quote:

Originally posted by Paul D on 01-08-2001 05:33 PM
I bought my LAST activision game a couple of years ago. I will never trust them for any quality output again. Are you getting the message yet there Action-less vision-less? You better.. its a tough market, and if there is one thing the consumer won't stand for, its incompetence in software developers.

I don't know about other Activision games, but hey, their role playing release Vampire: The Masquerade Redemption is a helluava game, the best vampire role playing game ever. Maybe they just don't know how to come up with a revolutionary Civ type game, that's all.
Old January 11, 2001, 14:42   #6
Qilue
King

Local Time: 19:18
quote:

Originally posted by Spiker22 on 01-08-2001 09:18 PM
I don't know about other Activision games, but hey, their role playing release Vampire: The Masquerade Redemption is a helluava game, the best vampire role playing game ever. Maybe they just don't know how to come up with a revolutionary Civ type game, that's all.

Vampire: The masquerade was 'not' a roleplaying game, it was an action/adventure game like Deus Ex, Thief, and numerous other action/adventure games marketed as roleplaying games.
Old January 11, 2001, 16:02   #7
Falconeer
Chieftain

And just to throw my 2 cents in... When Vampire was released there were TONS of problems with it. I got pretty fustrated with them all and honestly haven't played it since about 15 days after it was released. Maybe I'll go back and see if they've done any more patches to it since then... it'll give me hope that CTP will be fixed up a bit more.
Old January 11, 2001, 23:08   #8
Spiker22
Settler

quote:

Originally posted by Falconeer on 01-11-2001 03:02 PM
And just to throw my 2 cents in... When Vampire was released there were TONS of problems with it. I got pretty fustrated with them all and honestly haven't played it since about 15 days after it was released. Maybe I'll go back and see if they've done any more patches to it since then... it'll give me hope that CTP will be fixed up a bit more.

I bought Vampire after they'd released the patch, so didn't experience any fustration. You should apply the patch and try again. Now you can save anywhere in the game any time you like. Anyhow, I also hope that Activision would release a second patch for CtP2 in the near future.
Old January 12, 2001, 18:53   #9
Osco
Settler

I have had no problems at all with save games and the AI is better than any civ game yet !
Call to power 2 is a great game everything about it is good i cannot fault it in any way......
I think this Paul D guy is probably 8 years old or has the mentality of an 8 year old, he is getting upset because he cant work out how to play a thinking game like this.
Old January 13, 2001, 01:02   #10
Simpleton
Prince

Local Time: 02:18
quote:

Originally posted by Osco on 01-12-2001 05:53 PM

I think this Paul D guy is probably 8 years old or has the mentality of an 8 year old, he is getting upset because he cant work out how to play a thinking game like this.

Nice constructive criticism slick. Just because someone is unhappy about shelling out a cash for a poor game/load of tripe and wants to voice their opinion you call them names. Who's really the 8 year old.....

[This message has been edited by Simpleton (edited January 13, 2001).]
Old January 13, 2001, 04:24   #11
MarkG

dear god, osco you really know how to ruin a thread...