Old January 14, 2001, 04:37   #1
KhanMan
Prince

Local Time: 09:18
Local Date: October 31, 2010
Ctp2: Broken or not?
No, I don't mean: Is the gameplay good? How's the ai?, I mean simply: has Activision produced a playable product this time, that, with the patches, does not crash?

I bought Ctp1 fairly late in that game, and I enjoy it, but it's still broken (the lengths that I go to to continue load a saved game are mostly futile).

My question, then, is does this game crash? If so, can we expect a fix of this? IMHO, there were a lot of great work and ideas by the design team put into Ctp1, and I think they did a great job putting a new spin on Civness, but I won't shell out a penny if this thing doesn't can't run without crashing.

So what is it? Are people managing to play without crashes, or is this like Ctp1?

-KhanMan

(on a related note, if there are still crashes, has Activison set a release date for Ctp 1.3, aka. Ctp3? > >
Old January 14, 2001, 11:12   #2
Robm
Prince

Local Time: 01:18
The only crashes I have experienced in CTP2 were in Multiplayer. We have quit playing multiplayer in my house (we have a 2 computer lan) because of the crashes, dropped players, or resyncs. On the other hand, single player has been reliable for us, on both machines.
Old January 14, 2001, 11:27   #3
Bluevoss
Prince

I've never had it crash.

I love the game for a lot of its good features. Much better control. Better graphics. Public Works. Trading. All better than Civ2.

However, the AI couldn't find its way out of a wet paper sack. They really don't seem to want to push you very much. And war becomes how well you can attack them. They just roll into a ball and whimper when you kick them.

Further, they've goofed up the unhappyness based on city size. This means that no matter how big a city gets, there is no unhappyness for size (there is for polution). This means that happy buildings have no purpose in the game. So much for city management.

------------------
Bluevoss-
Old January 14, 2001, 17:21   #4
dande
Chieftain

Occasionally you find a report of someone with massive crash problems. They seem isolated. I have had no crashes or game problems what-so-ever. It is solid.
Old January 14, 2001, 20:47   #5
biljir
Chieftain

Even though I believe that CTP2 is a really major botch, it has not crashed on me, ever. This is quite a contrast with CTP1, which used to (before the patches) crash on me regularly.

When you get right down to it, I think I'd rather have a game that's fun to play but crashes often than one like CTP2, which seems very stable, but isn't really much fun at all.
Old January 15, 2001, 05:47   #6
RayvenWolfe
Settler

It doesn't crash for me most of the time. I had one crash problem in single player when I was close to finishing the game, but that's all.

Multiplayer is another story completely. Even after the patch, I go through resynch nightmares. I've given up on that aspect of the game too.
Old January 15, 2001, 12:44   #7
wittlich

The Multiplayer option on CTP2 is definately BROKEN.

Old January 15, 2001, 14:12   #8
Jen Dragon
Chieftain

3 games 3 crashes, lost games, in other words every time I load the saved the AI crashes at the same point in the turn. I have one of the Saves still, I wonder if someone could load it for me and see if it crashes on their machine. I have yet to finish a game they all crash somewhere around the facist, spy, bomber, era.
I have dx8 and all the dx 8 drivers for video and sound cards. Plus this seems to be the only game giving me this much trouble. Combat Mission, Land Warrior, BGII, Dark Reign2, AOK 2, HeavyMetal, Test of Time all work no crashes, Even Crimson Skys. It must be CTP2.
Old January 16, 2001, 16:49   #9
Kedryn
Settler

I have had it crash maybe 3 times in 3 weeks. All in all, not so bad compared to a few other games I have played that crash much more often. All the crashes occurred while I was saving a game (and it ate the file) so now I alternate saves between files. I think the game was worth my money, but then I only spent $25.00 or so on it (I manage a software store).