Old January 10, 2001, 00:43   #1
Dale
Emperor

Local Time: 19:18
Local Date: October 31, 2010
You'll never believe this! The AI beat me!
Yes, you read it correctly folks. The AI fair 'n square beat me last me. I was stoked! I lost a game! Yah!!!! Here's how it happened:

World: Huge, 8 civs, impossible. I went the English.

Started on a river grassland square, with some plains and forest around me so immediately posted my first city. All fine. Built a warrior and started exploring east up the river. I met the Americans within two squares of my border. Their border was one square from mine. I saw five units (archers and hoplites) in my range of view. By this stage my 2nd warrior was almost ready (three turns of completion). In the first turn, the AI destroyed my warrior explorer. In the second turn, he scooted up the river to within two squares of the city. On the third turn (remembering a warrior in my next turn) he took my city. GAME OVER!

I was stoked that an AI not the barbarians defeated me! Woohoo!!!!!!!!!!!

------------------
Rommell to a sub-commander outside Tobruk: "Those Australians are in there somewhere. But where? Let's advance and wait till they shoot, then shoot back."
Old January 10, 2001, 00:48   #2
MrLeN
Chieftain

Local Time: 09:18
Hey Dale,
ROFLMAO... That don't COUNT!!!! *hehe* :P

------------------
It's better to close your mouth and let everyone 'think' you're stupid, than open it and let everyone 'know' you are.
Old January 10, 2001, 02:22   #3
Dale
Emperor

Yeah I know, but it's the only time I've heard in these forums of an actual civilisation (not the barbs) actually beating an experienced civ-er playing fair 'n square. Can anyone else beat that?

------------------
Rommell to a sub-commander outside Tobruk: "Those Australians are in there somewhere. But where? Let's advance and wait till they shoot, then shoot back."
Old January 10, 2001, 10:22   #4
wittlich

Dale, did you tweak the game files (Modifications)prior to playing?

Old January 10, 2001, 20:57   #5
Dale
Emperor

No tweaks (don't have the time, can't be bothered, and why should I fix a game I paid $90 for?). It was the Activision shipped AI.

------------------
Old January 11, 2001, 09:34   #6
wittlich

Cool!

Old January 12, 2001, 05:25   #7
phoenixcager

We're still waiting for someone to be beaten mid-game, rather than in the first few turns.

Maybe we've all been playing these games too much, so that we know exactly what not to do....

------------------
phoenixcager
------------------
of the the Civilization Gaming Network. Visit the CGN Forums

Old January 12, 2001, 11:23   #8
Jen Dragon
Chieftain

I've been beaten 3 times.... It crashes to desk top. The autosave crashes and my saved games crash, even if I go back 3 truns it crashes in 3 turns, I have it saved now at the exact point of crash, I can load it and hit end turn and somewhere in the AI portion of the turn they do something that makes it crash. 3 for three, all around the facist spy battleship bomber age.
I guess I will try uninstalling and reinstalling one more time. BTW I have all the latest updated drivers and direct x 8, no unusual problems with other games.
Old January 13, 2001, 00:58   #9
Simpleton
Prince

Local Time: 02:18
Just the fact that a post like this is written is testimony to how bad the AI really is and to the fact that how bad Activision really did on this game!! IMHO

Old January 19, 2001, 21:34   #10
Darkknight
NationStates
Prince

around the early to middle stages of my second game:
Very hard huge map 8 civs.
I started out fines nice city beside water river/grassland forest plains but after exploring for a while i discovered i was on a lake. the river wound down south and i explored down it but still doing most of my exploring in the north as i'd gotten severla mercenary units up there. about ten tile form my home city the river ended and i built a city near the end.I was rambling on fine with 6 cities or so but not knowing what was important to research i'd left knights out.I found a civilisation to the south and got a peace treaty and shared some knowledge. they had 5 cities or so one they built beside my river.
then they discovered knights and in a couple of turns had 3 of them rambling around not in an army though.I started to grow suspicious so i hauled my remaining explorers down to my border city and started building city walls.next turn 1 knight attacked around 2 warriors 1 archer and 1 hoplite. quess who won they did.a second knight went up the river to a city i had around halfway up and captured it it only had a warrior and an archer.the third went up a juncture in the river and captured my second largest city which had two hoplites in it.i had 3 cities left one discovered way up north my capital surrounded on 2 sides by enemies and on another by the lake. i had another just west of my capital.This is where they made their mistake they gave me time to discovered knights and build one in my capital.I brought all of my army but 2 hoplites and a warrior (1 hoplite went south to fortify on the river)around 2 archers 2 hoplites 2 warriors and my knight out east to my second city and recaptuered it.I then moved south with my army and captured the other two cities but didn't find knights in either.They'd dissapeared off west to capture my other city.(losing a knight though to my knight i'd just built) i sent another knight i'd built in athens and my warrior out to recapture it and succeeded. i now had a large army moving south for revenge one unit in my capital one unit in my border city(my defending hoplite) and my knight to the west with the rest of my cities defenseless.I captured their city close to my river and then moved on capturing city after city reinforcing with knights and hoplites from my cities.I wiped them out then lost the game to a save bug erroe but still i was almost defeated.

------------------
" mind over body "