Old December 15, 2000, 22:33   #31
Yatermie
Chieftain

Local Time: 09:19
Local Date: October 31, 2010
More Patch Problems for me

I downloaded, got the bad language one, did the fix, restarted, now i get that it can't detect my install.

I figure i just have to re-install the game now. oh. BTw, i'm using win ME, original settings were english/canadian, changed to english/US
Old December 16, 2000, 01:50   #32
marc420
Warlord

In another thread, MrOgre said the SaveGame bug was fixed in the patch. Since I believe he's a programmer for Activision, I'd take his word for it. It may just not be mentioned in the readme.

If not, there has been discussion elsewhere about the Save Game corruption problem. Even in the unpatched version, you'll avoid these problems if you avoid one set of actions.

Never do a LOAD GAME or a NEW GAME from inside CTP2, or at least from v1.0 or whatever they called the first release. That's what's apparently causing the SAVE GAME corruption. I haven't personally hit that, but on my machine all the text got real screwy when I did LOAD GAME from inside the game. The wrong text labels were showing in the wrong places.

So if you want to do a LOAD GAME or a NEW GAME, use the QUIT GAME option from the menu and come in fresh to the game you want to load or start. This is annoying, so I hope they fixed it in the patch. But at least it can be avoided if you know its there.

marc
Atlanta
Old December 16, 2000, 04:22   #33
Apollon
Chieftain

Doesn't detect on a Swedish win98, had to change to English(US), restart, install, and it worked.
Old December 16, 2000, 18:07   #34
Prushka2
Settler

i want my $$ back
Old December 17, 2000, 01:20   #35
DanQ

My apologies for any confusion over the language compatability question that I raised in the initial version of the news post about the release of the patch. It was corrected less than 12hrs. after the error was initially made.

----------------
Dan; Apolyton CS

Old December 17, 2000, 02:47   #36
Yuri
Settler

Hi.

I try to install patch, but is said that i already have CTP version 1.1

Can anybody help me ???
May be i have wrong civ2.exe
Can anybode send me civ2.exe (version 1.1 or version 1.0)

Thanks
Old December 17, 2000, 10:31   #37
Tim Spier
Settler

quote:

Originally posted by Yatermie on 12-15-2000 09:33 PM
More Patch Problems for me

I downloaded, got the bad language one, did the fix, restarted, now i get that it can't detect my install.

I figure i just have to re-install the game now. oh. BTw, i'm using win ME, original settings were english/canadian, changed to english/US

I've got the same problem. The message says, that the install of Call To Power 2 can't be detected. I've got the english version ctp2 and installed it in a custom directory. Don't know, if it is important, that i've got an german language os.
Old December 17, 2000, 11:02   #38
phoenixcager

quote:

Originally posted by Yuri on 12-17-2000 01:47 AM
Hi.

I try to install patch, but is said that i already have CTP version 1.1

Can anybody help me ???
May be i have wrong civ2.exe
Can anybode send me civ2.exe (version 1.1 or version 1.0)

Thanks

Huh? The patch is for Call to Power 2 not Civ2!

Old December 17, 2000, 16:12   #39
Locutus
Apolytoners Hall of FameCiv4 SP Democracy GameCiv4 InterSite DG: Apolyton TeamBtS Tri-LeagueC4BtSDG TemplarsC4WDG Team ApolytonCivilization IV CreatorsCTP2 Source Code ProjectPolyCast Team
Deity

Local Time: 11:19
quote:

Originally posted by Tim Spier on 12-17-2000 09:31 AM
I've got the same problem. The message says, that the install of Call To Power 2 can't be detected. I've got the english version ctp2 and installed it in a custom directory. Don't know, if it is important, that i've got an german language os.

I had that problem too, I solved it by reinstalling the game.
I think it may have had something to do with the fact that the first time my installation crashed at 90% or so and I didn't bother to reinstall it properly (after reinstalling unsuccesfully for 12 times or so, I kind of grew tired of it ). This time the install went perfect and after that intalling the patch went without problems as well.
Old December 18, 2000, 00:28   #40
Yuri
Settler

quote:

Originally posted by phoenixcager on 12-17-2000 10:02 AM
Huh? The patch is for Call to Power 2 not Civ2!

Sorry. I me meant ctp2.exe.

Can you mail it to me?
Or better all new files from 1.1 )
Thanx

From Russia with love
Old December 18, 2000, 20:20   #41
PingEnvy
Settler

The updated v1.11 patch should be available tomorrow which will no longer have the issue with regional settings. It has no other changes.

There was a question regarding it detecting your installation. If you have the warez version then it won't work for you. It requires a complete installation for it to be updated.

- Doug "PingEnvy" Pearson
Old December 19, 2000, 01:53   #42
Philo
Settler

[/QUOTE]
Sorry. I me meant ctp2.exe.

Can you mail it to me?
Or better all new files from 1.1 )
Thanx

From Russia with love[/quote]

Yeah, sureeee. Nice one, Yuri. It's not like you have the ripped version of CTP2, where the .EXE is hacked to make sure it doesnt check for a CD, and thus the Patch will refuse to execute itself, and THAT is why you want "all new files from 1.1", right? Since then you can just overwrite your hacked .EXE and the rest of the files.

I advise everyone not to send this guy any files at all. He obviously has a warez-version (hence asking for "all new files", cause a pirated version CAN'T be patched automatically) and is one of those parasites that trick the developers for CTP2 out of their money.
Old December 19, 2000, 07:52   #43
Ezekiel[VXesJ]
Settler

I'm getting those strange message texts since I've installed the patch. First I thought it is because I've added a new civ, but my friend is experiencing the same problem. Let me give you an example:
the message text was: "Your space cities" and the text of the buttons at the bottom of the message were two exctracts of sentences that made no sense either!! After having played for 2 days I reinstalled CTP2 and then those messages made sense: they were telling me that my capital was going to revolt soon....
(what if one of those messages said that someone was stealing technology from me?!?!?)

so if anyone has the same problems please let me know if you have a solution to this problem.
thanks and merry christmas to all
Old December 19, 2000, 07:53   #44
Ezekiel[VXesJ]
Settler

I'm getting those strange message texts since I've installed the patch. First I thought it is because I've added a new civ, but my friend is experiencing the same problem. Let me give you an example:
the message text was: "Your space cities" and the text of the buttons at the bottom of the message were two exctracts of sentences that made no sense either!! After having played for 2 days I reinstalled CTP2 and then those messages made sense: they were telling me that my capital was going to revolt soon....
(what if one of those messages said that someone was stealing technology from me?!?!?)

so if anyone has the same problems please let me know if you have a solution to this problem.
Old December 19, 2000, 12:10   #45
Locutus
Apolytoners Hall of FameCiv4 SP Democracy GameCiv4 InterSite DG: Apolyton TeamBtS Tri-LeagueC4BtSDG TemplarsC4WDG Team ApolytonCivilization IV CreatorsCTP2 Source Code ProjectPolyCast Team
Deity

Ezekiel[VXesJ]

Read before you post:

quote:

Originally posted by Mr Ogre on 12-15-2000 06:03 PM
Hmm. It is supposed to correct that automatically, I'm not certain why it isn't (is everyone having problems with weird strings?)

In any case, you can still solve it manually, in two ways:

1) open the network chat window (press ' by default) and type "/reloadslic" without the quotes and press enter.

2) Open the editor ("Cheat mode") and press the Reload SLIC button. This method has the disadvantage that your score will no longer be kept (since it's in cheat mode), the first method does not.

It's only a problem when the strings have changed. The save file version was changed for the patch, and the game is supposed to do reload the scripts from the source automatically when loading an old version file, but I guess it's failing at least some of the time. Rats.
Old December 19, 2000, 12:35   #46
Alpha Wolf
Chieftain

After loading the patch, my autosave stopped working even tho the options says its ON.

I knew I shouldnt have used the patch. grrrrrrrrrrrrrr

------------------
History is written by the victor.
Old December 21, 2000, 08:58   #47
Yuri
Settler

[quote
Yeah, sureeee. Nice one, Yuri. It's not like you have the ripped version of CTP2, where the .EXE is hacked to make sure it doesnt check for a CD, and thus the Patch will refuse to execute itself, and THAT is why you want "all new files from 1.1", right? Since then you can just overwrite your hacked .EXE and the rest of the files.
[/quote]
Patch executes, testing and searching ctp2.exe, but then report that I already have verison 1.1
I don't know why it is.
I already have CTP2 CD and it is checing every time I start or load the game.
Old December 21, 2000, 15:29   #48
DarrellG
Settler

quote:

Originally posted by Ezekiel[VXesJ] on 12-19-2000 06:52 AM

I am seeing something very similar. I went back to the last successfully saved game from one I was in the middle of and loaded it (single player mostly default settings). The first new message that came up in the msg window had a trade icon and a message like "They are incensed that you pillaged there improvement tile..." If I keep playing I get allo kinds of other blank and strange messages.
Old December 21, 2000, 17:20   #49
Locutus
Deity

DarrellG,

Read my post right below Ezekiel[VXesJ]'s one. There's probably the solution to your problem.
Old December 21, 2000, 20:02   #50
Pico
Settler

Downloaded the patch, got around the language problem, installed it, was happy to find out that the save bug was solved. Sent my spy to an enemy city; he was properly executed and I got a message "Nicaragua". Now, let me guess: a) this is (given the country's recent history) some secret CIA code, deftly included in the game; b) a perfect example of montypythonesque Apolyton humor; c) a new bug. The music suddenly dissapeared as well; I wouldn't mind that one if I could use my own CDs, which, of course, I can't - so I am playing now in scary silence, interrupted only by ghostly steps of my corporate branches. Seems to me that first we got a beta game and now a beta patch.
[This message has been edited by Pico (edited December 21, 2000).]
Old December 31, 2000, 05:34   #51
Mischl07
Settler

I read all the articles but still cannot install the patch. I am using a German Windows 2000 and a German version of CtP. Setting the regional preferences to English (US) did not solve the problem.

Thanks for your help
Michael
Old January 1, 2001, 01:38   #52
QGer
Settler

Hi everybody!

After installing the patch 1.11 for CTP2 (german version) I have big trouble with the news in the game.

Before having installed the patch there have been no problems with the news, but now I normally get news like "Bigger" or "Nigeria has". Most news are mutilated.

Does anyone know how to fix this annoying problem?
Old January 2, 2001, 10:14   #53
Walter
Settler

The only actual difference the patch 1.11 makes, is that most messages have become unintelligible. By now I've noticed "Noyon" means "Some new unit is ready somewhere". Luckily I can centre on the city and see what unit it is about. "Faith healing" might have something to do with the veteran status awarded to some unit, but I'm not quite sure about that. I get all the time parts of phrases that have nothing to do with the game I'm actually playing. Sometimes I have to choose between buttons with equally absurd messages, only to notice that I've inadvertently enacted a new government, destroyed my own railroad or whatever.
I'm just continuing my present game with the patch because the game was going so smoothly (on "hard" level) that I don't mind some extra difficulty, because I'm just curious how a faulty patch can mess up a game that was fine before, and because I don't know whether I can deinstall the patch and still be able to continue the game I had been playing with patch.
There's one other problem that might also have to do with the patch. When I finish my turn and quit the game after saving, I get an extra turn when I restart the day after (all units can move or bombard again, I get extra gold, science, PW, production, food). This makes a huge difference e.g. when I'm bombarding my enemy with 10 battleships and 5 bombers. In that way, an epic battle becomes a slaughtering of defenceless enemy units.
And there's no pollution whatsoever in my game, although I defintely switched it ON, when I started the game. I never touched the cheat-mode (I never do, honestly) and so I suppose the pollution was turned off when I installed the patch. I'm not sure though, because at that time, I had arrived in the Middle Ages, and thought it was quite normal taht there wasn't any pollution yet (maybe there should have been?).
One piece of advice for all: DO NOT INSTALL THE PATCH!!! In my opinion it's utterly worthless, only creates problems and doesn't solve any. The game is OK like it is, with some minor flaws, that's true, but it's much more stable than CTP1.
Old January 2, 2001, 15:48   #54
Locutus
Deity

Jesus, how many times does it have to be said? If you have problems with weird texts after installing the patch, that's because you're playing pre-patch savegames. You can solve this problem by either starting a new game or by opening the chat window and typing /reloadslic.
Old January 3, 2001, 08:43   #55
Walter
Settler

OK, I should have read the previous replies. Sorry about that. I tried the /reloadslic and indeed the weird texts seem to disappear.
The other problems I mentioned (extra turn after saving, no pollution) are not solved however, but maybe they have nothing to do with the patch. Maybe something to solve with the next patch?
Old January 3, 2001, 16:27   #56
Locutus
Deity

Well, the other problems were there before the patch as well. Those ain't bugs, those are features!
(Activision pays me to say that )
Old January 17, 2001, 11:44   #57
Valerij
Settler

I have the english version of the CTP 2 installed on my PC. I bought it in NY and it seems to me quite legal :-) At least, it requires my CD-disk every time it starts. When I try to install the patch v1.11 it says I already have version 1.1 installed, however I didn't patch it before. What's wrong?

Can anybody email me unpacked files which are included in the original patch 1.1? Please, help!

Thanks in advance!
[This message has been edited by Valerij (edited January 17, 2001).]
Old January 19, 2001, 22:42   #58
Mike the Nuke
Chieftain

This is almost as comical as the original Saturday Night Live shows!

What a joke!

"Hey, we can fix those 'leaky pipes' in your house, Mack. We'll just turn off your water supply!"