Old January 22, 2001, 21:13   #1
Dyzee400
Chieftain

Local Time: 09:19
Local Date: October 31, 2010
Changing Icons????
I was wondering if there is any way to change the icons in Windows of Call to Power (for that matter, ANY icon). I use Windows98 and have not found any way to be able to change them. All I've been able to do is change icons of shortcuts. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.
Old January 22, 2001, 21:30   #2
Pyaray
Call to Power II Multiplayer
Warlord

Local Time: 01:19
quote:

Originally posted by Dyzee400 on 01-22-2001 08:13 PM
I was wondering if there is any way to change the icons in Windows of Call to Power (for that matter, ANY icon). I use Windows98 and have not found any way to be able to change them. All I've been able to do is change icons of shortcuts. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

No, the icon for any file on your computer is built into the EXE file associated with whatever file you're looking at. In the case of CTP it is an EXE, so it's imbeded directly in that file. In the case of other files, like TXT for example, it uses the icon of the EXE it is associated with. The default case for TXT would be Notepad. If you're wondering why you could do this in Windows 3.1, and not in Windows 95 or above, it's because under Windows 3.1 Program Manager you had nothing but shortcuts. And as you already know you can change the icon in shortcuts.

Pyaray
Old January 23, 2001, 19:53   #3
Dyzee400
Chieftain

Well that's stupid. On the macintosh you can put any icon you want, even ones you've created, onto any file, folder, application or anything in about 10 seconds. Stupid Windows.
Old January 23, 2001, 20:05   #4
Pyaray
Call to Power II Multiplayer
Warlord

Local Time: 01:19
quote:

Originally posted by Dyzee400 on 01-23-2001 06:53 PM
Well that's stupid. On the macintosh you can put any icon you want, even ones you've created, onto any file, folder, application or anything in about 10 seconds. Stupid Windows.

Simple solution. Just use shortcuts to everything. That's basically how the Macintosh works (yes, I now it's more complicated than that, I don't need a tech lecture, I do know how it works at a binary level). If you use shortcuts to everything, then you can make the icons anything you want, including the icons you create.

Pyaray
Old January 25, 2001, 06:25   #5
Gwap
Chieftain

Aren't we all just pining for the days of Win3.1? ;-) Or even OS/2?

*sigh*

------------------
Nostalgia isn't what it used to be