Old January 26, 2001, 14:36   #1
Solver
lifer
Civilization IV CreatorsAge of Nations TeamApolytoners Hall of FamePolyCast TeamBtS Tri-LeagueThe Courts of Candle'BreC4WDG Team Apolyton
Deity

Local Time: 12:20
Local Date: October 31, 2010
Solver's 1st CtP 2 day
Today I just couldn't resist the cheap price for CtP II, and being a Civ games fan, I've bough it.
My first impressions were when I watched the intro video - I liked it a lot, and thought that this game isn't as bad as others speak it is. And then I started a game as the Jewish, with 8 enemies. Level was Beginner, to feel what the game tastes like.
In 6 hours of playing, the game didn't crash single time, what is a very good result. Next, I noticed the performace. I started playing CtP I with Pentium 166 MMX / 16 MB RAM, and it went SO SLOW, then UI upgraded the PC. But, CtP II seems to run even faster than CtP.
Another positive feeling is the fact they have included the Earth Map - I haven't yet seen it in details, but even if it's crude, it's Earh, after all. I believe this map is yet better than Civ I Earcth Map.
Combat system really is better, and the battles occur in real-time, also giving a handy retreat options.
I have gone up to the point of almost reaching Modern Age, all enemies are Ancient, 1 is annihilated, Germans have only one city remaining.
I like the Diplomatic options, as they are better than in the original CtP, but SMAC probably yet has it better, but these are quite close ones. Threats really work sometimes, especially when I'm figting a war on my own continent.
Interface was easy to transfer to, and I could quite quickly understand what to do in order to trade, swich government, etc. But, it was damned difficult to find out how do I change the squares that the city works on.
As in SMAC, borders are a very cute addition to the game, even though I think they should be a bit wider there.
I didn't like the new numbers, like attack of 25 for a Knight. This is for realistic combat purposes, but having played both original Civs and CtP I, I've used to keep in mind that 25 is a high, late-game attack value, not the one for a Tank.
I've scrolled through the Great Library to see how the units look, and have to admit that Fusion Tanks were better in CtP I.
Despite all, I miss space. I've never fought any serious wars in space, only a few minor battles, but I liked the idea of colonizing the Space. However, it's possible to live without it.
Units' speech seemed better in CtP I for me, at least those German phrases were good. Some of them, like Spies "Fur das Vaterland" and Leviathan's "Laden Fusionsvernichter" are yet deep in my memory.
Actually, it exceeded my expectations. I've heard so many players saying bad things about CtP II, that I though this isn't really good, but after the first hour or so I felt quite good and comfortable within it.
I've already noticed some of the bugs, but they're simply small annoying bugs, while ones in CtP I completely crashed the game often.
Worst of all, there's no PBEM, and according to post by MarkG, it will never come true.
But, overall, the impressions are so far more positive than negative, perhaps also because of the mere price I paid for it.

------------------
Solver - http://www.aok.20m.com
Old January 26, 2001, 16:12   #2
quinns
Call to Power MultiplayerCall to Power PBEM
Emperor

Local Time: 02:20
Good post Solver! It's the most detailed review I've seen so far on CTP 2.

Regarding PBEM though... I'm curious if Mr. Ogre's HOT SEAT and PBEM tweak for CTP2 works. Remember what he said?

Author: Mr Ogre Topic: Oh, what the heck

Mr Ogre
Activision
Venice, CA, USA
b.02-15-99

posted December 01, 2000 17:01

There's a secret hidden in english/uidata/layouts/spnewgame.ldl. If you search for two buttons whose ypix value are -490, and take the - sign off, two much requested features (edit: i.e. Hotseat and PBEM, I think) will become visible on the main screen.

I want to stress that these have NOT BEEN TESTED any time recently and may not work properly at all.

[This message has been edited by quinns (edited January 26, 2001).]
Old January 26, 2001, 19:42   #3
wittlich

Solver, so...What was this "cheap" price you paid - if you don't mind me asking?

Old January 26, 2001, 23:33   #4
Triumphus Romanus
Chieftain

Local Time: 09:20
quinns,
I've tried the Hotseat and PBEM thing and cant get past the setup....it crashes. Wonder if anyone else has had success.
Old January 27, 2001, 00:25   #5
Darkknight
NationStates
Prince

They work fine for me played both.
sure you changed the right files?

------------------
" mind over body "
Old January 27, 2001, 08:54   #6
Solver
lifer
Civilization IV CreatorsAge of Nations TeamApolytoners Hall of FamePolyCast TeamBtS Tri-LeagueThe Courts of Candle'BreC4WDG Team Apolyton
Deity

Ability of PBEM in CtP II is what I'm thinking about for the last day. I will also post here my impressions of second day.
The cheap price was 25$ - cheap enough, even in Latvia.

------------------
Old January 27, 2001, 09:32   #7
chrisis
Settler

Local Time: 10:20
quote:

Originally posted by Triumphus Romanus on 01-26-2001 10:33 PM
quinns,
I've tried the Hotseat and PBEM thing and cant get past the setup....it crashes. Wonder if anyone else has had success.

hm... maybe you have a cracked version? i've heard people saying that just this happens with cracked versions if you try unofficial hotseat/pbem...

Old January 27, 2001, 11:18   #8
Solver
lifer
Deity

Solver's 2nd of impressions at CtP II.
Now I feel much more comfortable in it, but I can see that benefit of many Wonders have been slightly changed, like London's Exchange isn't the ultimate trumpcard now. I one of my threads under CtP-Strategy I mentioned that I go for LE, and then just avoid Robotics, what resulted in fantastic results - completing the Alien Project in 18th or 19th century.
But, the Wonder changes are what the new games gives.
Great Linrary is even grater than before, with it's search capability, but I don't like that it doesn't say which techs are needed for the next era.
But, the game is not bad, and once again going thorugh installation, that music is something awesome, even though install completed very quickly, thanks to my 58x CD drive.
And, the greatest news of today is that PBEM is, all in all, available. I've went through the setu process, tested it, and it works excellently. Please refer to my post entitled "So, PBEM is avaialble" in the CtP II - Multiplaying forum.

------------------
Old January 27, 2001, 14:18   #9
skorpion59
Prince

Local Time: 03:20
I use the No-CD crack also and have been able to run PBEM/Hotseat without any problems.
Old January 28, 2001, 01:58   #10
Triumphus Romanus
Chieftain

I have a storebought(EB) version.....got it the week it came out. However, I do use a no-cd crack, out of sheer laziness. I may try a reinstall and try it again.....my son wants to play against me.
Old January 28, 2001, 07:33   #11
Solver
lifer
Deity

Don't know why. No-CD crack normally makes it so that it's impossible to PBEM / HotSeat, due to the way it modifies the Registry and the executable.

------------------
Old January 29, 2001, 01:57   #12
skorpion59
Prince

Local Time: 03:20
That is probably true if you are using a Warez version or a Warez version's No-CD crack.

On the other hand, if you are using a No-CD crack which is just a patch to the original EXE, no Registry entries are modified and the EXE simply jumps over the call to check the CD. This way there is much less problems.