Old January 25, 2001, 02:21   #1
jackazzstudent
Chieftain

Local Time: 03:20
Local Date: October 31, 2010
stacks
Hello,

Tryin to get more posts on this forum

I generally play on the easier levels (medium) I'm just curious about what kinda unit mix you guys use in the mid game and end game. midgame=cannon, infantry knight and end being artil (warwalker) machinegunner, marine etc.

Thanks,

Adam

------------------
I use to be indecisive, but now I'm not so sure
Old January 25, 2001, 05:14   #2
TacticalGrace
Prince

Local Time: 09:20
I played on "Very Hard" and I found that Catapults/Knights are more than enough for the poor computer. So once I have the tech I really dominate with infantry and cannon. Try 4 Infantry, 2 Cavalry and 6 Cannon. Also bombard for a couple of turns before attacking (but make sure that the supply lines to the city you bombarding are cut off or they will resupply)

seems impossible to lose with stacks of 12 tanks so I didn't get any further than that tech wise (became just too easy)
Old January 25, 2001, 07:34   #3
Gwap
Chieftain

For the later stages, I love bombing the doodah out of my enemies using Bombers, and then taking the city with a lowly archer or hoplite I still have running around

And unless you manually smarten up the AI, you don't have to worry about fighter support either :-/
Old January 26, 2001, 22:01   #4
Darkknight
NationStates
Prince

What! Are your tanks better then mine i had 10 in a stack attacking about 8 units in a city 2 catapults 4 hoplites and 2 infantrymen or so and i was wiped out. Now i just use them as support.
Usually i would have 8 artillery and 4 machinegunners.
first i bombard with the artilleries for a few turns then i move in with the lot.

------------------
" mind over body "
Old January 27, 2001, 06:57   #5
Slopmaster
Settler

Yeah what about fire power, I sent a fleet of four destroyers and five battle ships to take out an enemys city defenses and some how 6 marines, 2 tanks, and some machine gunners took out three of my ships. In real life that would not happen. One battle ship would pull up and fire a few cruise missles at the poor soldiers and their pea shooters and turn them into chop suie. I still took the city by the way.

-Slopmaster
Old January 28, 2001, 15:29   #6
SirMungus
Settler

In real life, a battleship would hang offshore and bombard, but never take over a city. I believe ships are at a major advantage in melees with land units, because that's not what they're intended for.
Old January 28, 2001, 15:31   #7
SirMungus
Settler

quote:

Originally posted by Darkknight on 01-26-2001 09:01 PM
What! Are your tanks better then mine i had 10 in a stack attacking about 8 units in a city 2 catapults 4 hoplites and 2 infantrymen or so and i was wiped out. Now i just use them as support.
Usually i would have 8 artillery and 4 machinegunners.
first i bombard with the artilleries for a few turns then i move in with the lot.

That's strange, because I've found stacks of tanks to be nearly invincible against earlier era units. Perhaps you were attacking a city on a hill, with city wall and ballista towers? Even that would surprise me.
Old January 29, 2001, 07:04   #8
TacticalGrace
Prince

quote:

Originally posted by Slopmaster on 01-27-2001 05:57 AM
Yeah what about fire power, I sent a fleet of four destroyers and five battle ships to take out an enemys city defenses and some how 6 marines, 2 tanks, and some machine gunners took out three of my ships. In real life that would not happen. One battle ship would pull up and fire a few cruise missles at the poor soldiers and their pea shooters and turn them into chop suie. I still took the city by the way.

-Slopmaster

The whole naval assault on a city thing just doesn't work right in CTP I agree. But you're wrong to say about battleships and cruise missles. A battleship is something like the Bismarck - big guns, heavy armour. These ships started to became redundant after WWII and most are now out of service. They didn't carry cruise missles. Their use was basically as floating artillery, bombarding coastline ready for a beach assult by marines.

Oh and this isn't what cruise missiles are used for either in real life. If you have 10,000 infantry defending a coastline of say 10 miles, then cruise missiles at millions of dollars each really aren't a cost effective way of waging war. Where cruise missiles are useful is when you have specific deep targets like communication or command centres or ships which need to be knocked out. (therefore CTP and Civ2 model these incorrectly)

There is an interesting parallel to this when examining the abortive US bombing campaign in Vietnam. Bombing raids on the Ho Chi Min trail 10 or 20 millions dollars for each sortie but, since the targets consisted largely of peasants on bicycles, inflicted a few hundred dollars of damage.
Old January 29, 2001, 17:02   #9
Collie
Settler

Well I don't know about Ships bombarding coastal cities but I had to laugh when a I sent a couple of Fighter planes to attack a city and they were shot down by about 3 archers and a cannon. How the arrows and cannon balls managed to be in firing range I don't know. Still apparently it used to be worse in CTP 1.
Old January 30, 2001, 01:22   #10
Slopmaster
Settler

Arrows and cannons against fighters uh...if the planes were flying with in range of those weapons they might be able to take them out. But they should be out of range, I still don't understand how a destroyer could be taken out by a few Marines. In real life I would have five destroyers aimed at the defending forces on shore and spray the beach with bullets and missles. The only reason I can figure nothing seems to balance out in CTPII is that each unit like a Marine or Archer represents more than one person, just a thought I had.

-Slopmaster

"Lets give them some of our bread, after all it almost killed some of our own men"
-Lt. Gen Umello at the battle of Paris, 2534
Old January 30, 2001, 07:21   #11
TacticalGrace
Prince

quote:

Originally posted by Slopmaster on 01-30-2001 12:22 AM
But they should be out of range, I still don't understand how a destroyer could be taken out by a few Marines. In real life I would have five destroyers aimed at the defending forces on shore and spray the beach with bullets and missles. The only reason I can figure nothing seems to balance out in CTPII is that each unit like a Marine or Archer represents more than one person, just a thought I had.

I hope that there aren't people out there who think that an archer unit is literally one archer?

The units in CTP/civ are a loose simulation. ever thought it a bit strange that your archer unit can happily wander round arctic wastelands for a thousand years?

your destroyer example where you
quote:

spray the beach with missles and bullets
is simulated in CTP2 as a bombardment - you can't get damaged. note that in CTP2 you don't need to have invented any missiles to get destroyer so your better off imagining that they are armed with artillery. The whole idea of a ship attacking land units is daft though. And destroyers have lost their CTP-1 ability to bombard land targets!