Old January 30, 2001, 12:57   #1
MR. SADDAM

Civ3 Rumours
Firaxis will bring quality.......sources in Software design Magazine say that the personality configuration that ACtivision setup will be used but personalitys will be different and that 3 big changes will be noticeable.One was the AI has a Broad understanding for whats going on around the globe.It will influence its diplomacy desicion making.second is the AI will get more time to make decisons instead of the MAx_end_turn_25 it will be pushed to 50.in theory If the AI is given more time , its very much possible it will make a better decison.third is The AI uses the City Defense Code (which is the only time they AI stacks units 4-5) to attack.This is interesting and worth seeing if such a modification could be made to CTP2?

2 other minor are Better Worker Management and Enhanced trade.

personally i hope Sid Mier Keeps out the "Gang up on human player Attribute" I can always remember in Civ2 The AI (regardless of how nice i was) Banding together to sign pacts.I hated this because it would always end up 5 AI vs me and maybe an AI partner (pending how much advances and gold i gave him )

Also the AI will have way , way better domestic policy, this example given in the magazine.
"In Civ2 If the Citizens of an AI civs nation are unhappy The AI instead of raising gold or food would normally build units and have martial law in every city (this was a major flaw in the design).In CivIII they will have some Loose control over the Tax bar and Rations bar.

Anyway These guys were right about the Units in CTP2 and the Weapons in Rainbow6 5 months before release. This tells me they have people inside

Old January 30, 2001, 18:45   #2
Sarxis
Rise of Nations MultiplayerAlpha Centauri PBEMCivilization III MultiplayerCivilization III PBEMCTP2 Source Code ProjectCall to Power II MultiplayerCall to Power MultiplayerCivilization IV: MultiplayerCivilization IV CreatorsGalCiv Apolyton Empire
Emperor

Local Time: 05:20
Local Date: October 31, 2010
Come on, really the only difficult thing about TBS games from a development standpoint (well, two things) is the AI and making sure that the game runs bug free. Basically, TBS games are board games running on a PC, and really I don't understand why it is so difficult to make a game like CIV work smoothly on a computer. But the AI has got to be the best when it comes to TBS games, way better than they need to be in FPS, RPG, sims, or RTS. That should be Firaxis' #1 priority; and it looks like it may very well be.
Old January 30, 2001, 20:35   #3
wittlich

I'll be estatic if they release a bug-free game!

But seriously, it looks like Firaxis/Hasbro has taken notice of Activision's mistakes in CTP2 and will hopefully address these problems/bugs before they release CIV3.

Old January 30, 2001, 22:09   #4
David Murray
Prince

Local Time: 09:20
quote:

Originally posted by wittlich on 01-30-2001 07:35 PM
I'll be estatic if they release a bug-free game!

But seriously, it looks like Firaxis/Hasbro has taken notice of Activision's mistakes in CTP2 and will hopefully address these problems/bugs before they release CIV3.

I think it'll be interesting to see how many of Activision's ideas Firaxis steals for their Civ game. If we can thank Activision for one thing, it's giving Firaxis some extra ideas on how to further improve on the now-anachronistic Civ2 engine.
Old January 31, 2001, 08:20   #5
Gwap
Chieftain

Local Time: 09:20
Hmm, bug free software. I've seen "hello world!" with bugs in it

I don't really care about bugs as long as someone commits to fixing them!

-------
Who's that General Protection and what is he doing in my harddisk?
Old January 31, 2001, 11:07   #6
wittlich

quote:

Originally posted by David Murray on 01-30-2001 09:09 PM
I think it'll be interesting to see how many of Activision's ideas Firaxis steals for their Civ game. If we can thank Activision for one thing, it's giving Firaxis some extra ideas on how to further improve on the now-anachronistic Civ2 engine.

I have exactly the same thought

Old January 31, 2001, 11:12   #7
wittlich

quote:

Originally posted by Gwap on 01-31-2001 07:20 AM
Hmm, bug free software. I've seen "hello world!" with bugs in it

I don't really care about bugs as long as someone commits to fixing them!

Gwap, I believe that's the bottom line. We all realize that new programs will have some bugs/hicups...and that's fine as long as the producer promises to fix them (not just "address" them). Hopefully, with Activision "stepping on it" with CTP2, Firaxis/Hasbro has taken notice.

Old January 31, 2001, 16:29   #8
MR. SADDAM

yea I still am having trouble beliveing Activision let the Diplomacy Decison making bug slide. For example

Give me your map i give you 200 gold - Rejected!

Give you 200 gold and let me see your map- ACCEPTED!

has annyone else noticed that?

anyway Civ3 better live up to expectations cause im sick of modifying Games Files.Ive done that with Civ2 ,TOT , CTP , CTP2 ! Tho i enjoy tinkering its become an obbesive strive to find the perfect formula which has left me up many friday nights.