Old February 3, 2001, 10:49   #1
yin26
inmate
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Born Again Optimist

Local Time: 05:21
Local Date: October 31, 2010
WES, I need you, man...(others welcome, too)
Wes,

By somebody's twisted sense of humor (just kidding ), I have been given CtP2 to test for myself. My question is this: How should I mod this baby? Do you have something brewing that will make it fun to play? I should say I just started Baldur's Gate 2, so I don't mind waiting if you've got a mod coming later on...

Basically, I have more faith in you than I do in the execs at Activision. I hope you land a great job in the field, if that's what you want.

Finally, any tips that could get me in the right mood to fairly check out the game? When I tried CtP, for example, I found that things took sooo many turns to get going, that I wasn't fair in my review. In other words, why do YOU like this game so much and put so much effort into it?

Basically since Civ3 isn't coming out for a long time, I'm willing to give a Wes-modified CtP2 a run for its (well, my friend's) money. Thanks.

And anybody else who would like to answer these questions, please feel free.
[This message has been edited by yin26 (edited February 03, 2001).]
Old February 3, 2001, 11:24   #2
MarkG

well, in order to have a clear view you should first play the game unmodified

beyond that, you should expect a lot more turns
play with end-of-tuns automated and learn the keyboard shortcuts, your mouse will thank you

ho exactly did you get ctp2 again?

Old February 3, 2001, 11:46   #3
WesW
Apolytoners Hall of Fame

Local Time: 03:21
Yin, keep tabs on the Modification forum here, and get the Med mod v1.0 beta when it is posted. I think that just reading the readmes will be enough to convince you to try it. (And remember, this is just the beta of the first version! A lot of the fun stuff isn't even in yet.)

There are many more turns than in the sid games, but there is more land to explore, and by not having to fool with settlers for tile improvements, games go by about as fast as in smac, maybe faster if you use governors.

Btw, referring to the Mark Gelle thread, can you tell me the latest news on Jenna and Sylvia?
Old February 3, 2001, 11:54   #4
yin26
inmate
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Born Again Optimist

Markos:

Good idea. I'll play without the mods first (since I want to see Wes' stuff at its best). Baldur's Gate 2 still has precedence, but at least I can get familiar with things. I'll also take your advice on the turns issue.

I got the game by sending a friend of mine AoK. He's a TBS guy who wants to try a good RTS game. And I'm a game whore who will play anything if it's good. So we swapped CDs. (I admit I have the crack for AoK, so I can still play it, if I want...but I played it to death already).

By the way, Markos, I have a GREAT idea for this site: A TRADE GAMES forum! I personally hate seeing games pile up next to my computer, so I trade whenever I can rather than watch things gather dust.

Wes:

I greatly look forward to your finished mod. Can I get on a mailing list so I don't miss it? Also, I'm glad to see that you agree on the turns thing...but that there are efficiency pay-offs in other areas. I'll keep that in mind.

As for your last question, please allow me to download some more research first! LOL
[This message has been edited by yin26 (edited February 03, 2001).]
Old February 3, 2001, 12:14   #5
yin26
inmate
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Born Again Optimist

By the way, for the TRADE GAMES forum, I have Jagged Alliance 2, Might and Magic 8, and a few others just waiting to kick things off...
Old February 3, 2001, 20:21   #6
Darkknight
NationStates
Prince

Local Time: 09:21
cool trade games as in I'll post you magic the gathering for one of your crap games you hate.COOL!
I've got Magic the Gathering (which is really a great game that should be traded for say The Sims ) and World Cup Cricket which is just a wee bit boring. And I suppose thats all i can think of.
but the question is do you trust the person to mail you his game after you've just sent him yours????

------------------
" mind over body "
Old February 4, 2001, 00:08   #7
yin26
inmate
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Born Again Optimist

Well, that's the risk, of course. But I've never had a problem yet...and I've traded a dozen or so games. Hopefully being part of the Apolyton community would help us treat each other better. I'm going to bring this idea up seriously with Markos since I think it would be an outstanding service to the Apolyton community.

BTW, I'd be happy to moderate it. It would take a great deal more work than a simple game forum, but would be fun, I think.
Old February 4, 2001, 00:10   #8
jkadabomb
Warlord

Local Time: 09:21
HEY IVE BEEN PLAYING BALDUR'S GATE 2 ALSO!!!!!! Its really a great game, in fact the second funnest game Ive played besides CounterStrike.