Old February 16, 2001, 03:45   #1
cfidsmarc
Settler

Local Time: 09:22
Local Date: October 31, 2010
Single Tile Island
Early in the game is there a way to attack a single tile island? I seem unable to make an amphibious assault (can't unload troops). Should I wait for better ships and just bombard?

Thanks.
Old February 16, 2001, 06:55   #2
TacticalGrace
Prince

The minimum technology you need is the Fire Trireme. Send a fleet of these to attack the island. They can't occupy the city but they can engage the troops. If you manage to defeat all the defneding troops then you can simply unload a land unit into the city.
Old February 17, 2001, 03:37   #3
cfidsmarc
Settler

quote:

Originally posted by TacticalGrace on 02-16-2001 05:55 AM
The minimum technology you need is the Fire Trireme. Send a fleet of these to attack the island. They can't occupy the city but they can engage the troops. If you manage to defeat all the defneding troops then you can simply unload a land unit into the city.

Thankyou for the help. I did not know Fire Triremes could attack land units or that you could "unload" into an empty city. Makes sense! Obviously the land troops must be able to defend against/attack the Fire Triremes -- hence the need for a fleet.

The difficulty of making an early attack on an island tile (the necessity of building an early naval attack fleet) and the relatively high and balanced value of beach terrain tiles seem to make to island tiles, in general, a good spot to settle cities. True?