Old February 18, 2001, 14:20   #1
Hannibal Ad Portas
Chieftain

Local Time: 09:24
Local Date: October 31, 2010
How do i ??
Is it possible to allow units of a government to remain in play after the gov is changed? also can you lock a gov so it stays for the whole Scn/game.

I personally dislike the retreat option, so is it possible to modify is so that you may retreat only if your stack of units has a 50%movement total advantage over the defender (and must stay for 1 or more rounds of combat),or if attacking stack has a higher amount of (is cavalry) attributes as shown in unit database.

Any ideas??
Old March 9, 2001, 14:25   #2
Skeeve
Prince

Local Time: 05:24
I never tried this, but there is a line in the Units.txt file under the appropriate unit that says something like this:

GovernmentType GOVERNMENT_THEOCRACY

In theory (mine, that is), if you delete this line, you should be able to keep those units around even after changing governments.

Don't quote me on it though.
Anyone want to verify?

------------------
My reach exceeds my grasp!
Old March 10, 2001, 07:34   #3
Hannibal Ad Portas
Chieftain

hi

The enable gove allows you to build them in the first place, however
its the period of anarchy that kills all gov specific units, so even if you
return to same gov their already killed,so in cons.txt you can define the max
period of anarchy but you have to have a least 1 turn,catch 22.

Solved it by making a change of gov less likly to happen, not perfect
but gets the job done.

Hannibal
Old March 14, 2001, 17:13   #4
Locutus
Apolytoners Hall of FameCiv4 SP Democracy GameCiv4 InterSite DG: Apolyton TeamBtS Tri-LeagueC4BtSDG TemplarsC4WDG Team ApolytonCivilization IV CreatorsCTP2 Source Code ProjectPolyCast Team
Deity

Local Time: 11:24
To keep the units around after a govt-change you'd need to use SLIC code. If you want, I could write an example for this tomorrow or so (don't have the time now). AFAIK, The retreat thing can't be disabled only part of the time (though I'm not sure of it, 'cause there's still a few SLIC functions and events that I don't quite understand that are combat related, it might be possible there). You can disable it altogether by going into the right ldl-file and change the size of the button to a negative number.
Old March 14, 2001, 17:45   #5
Hannibal Ad Portas
Chieftain

Hi
That would be a big help regards preventing disbands,the combat retreat
is also something a feel would benifit the game.

Question? Why have you in mmod set a clearing of orders every 3rd turn,
is this to get units on a long path of movement to be reavallued? or
have i missed something.
Busy trawling back through archives and have found some usefull stuff.
Hannibal
Old March 17, 2001, 14:55   #6
Locutus
Apolytoners Hall of FameCiv4 SP Democracy GameCiv4 InterSite DG: Apolyton TeamBtS Tri-LeagueC4BtSDG TemplarsC4WDG Team ApolytonCivilization IV CreatorsCTP2 Source Code ProjectPolyCast Team
Deity

Local Time: 11:24
I apologize for my late reply: I kept being held up with other things and I wanted to test the code before posting it here, as I wasn't quite convinced it would work as I had understood (the basis of the code wasn't mine but someone else's). And my suspicion turned out to be correct, it's not possible to check government type through SLIC, contrary to what I had understood from this other guy. The only suggestion I have is to try to use two govermenttype lines in units.txt instead of one: maybe that'll allow a unit to exist in two goverments (anarchy and fascism in case of the fascist). If that doesn't work, I'm afraid nothing can be done about this.

The clearing orders thing is not only to re-evaluate move-path but more importantly to force the AI player to re-evaluate all orders every now and then: is it still necessary to perform this order or are the units needed elsewhere? The AI doesn't touch a unit that already has orders, so even if it's capital is about to be taken and it has some units nearby that can stop it, it won't use those units if they're busy moving elsewhere. That's the main reason for the orders-clearing (see also the 'Converstions with Richard Myers (Azmel)' thread by Wes in the AI Forum).