Old March 16, 2001, 21:36   #1
timelord50
Settler

Local Time: 09:25
Local Date: October 31, 2010
Post here if you are (extremely) dissapointed with CTP2
When CTP2 came out I was considering going and buying it- but thank god I stumbled on it while looking through a warez site. This saved me wasting my money on what has proved to be an awful game. There are 2 main problems with it- 1. The AI has the 'intelligence' of a worm. 2. The interface is horrible. There don't seem to be many posts about 2. on this forum, which surprises me. Maybe I have just not played CTP2 enough to get used to the interface changes from CTP1, but I think it's more than that. For example the thing where it centres the map but doesn't select the city when you choose to edit a build que.
The interface to CTP1 was excellent- not perfect but it was good enough for managing 50 or 60 cities with astronomical production values (ie lots of finished building messages each turn). It wasn't ideal for large military campaigns but it was usable. Another thing is that there appears to be no unit cycle button- the one you could use to cycle through and use the movement points of all active units before the end of the turn. It takes me ages to deal with the messages from my cities each turn (a build que finished, a wonder built, a unhappiness warning message etc) whereas in CTP1 it was a quick and relatively painless operation. I could go on for pages picking out all the things I don't like about the interface but I won't.
Finally who's stupid idea was it to remove space? It was one of the best areas of the game- not only for having extra room to colonise but it was great for military campaigns- you could drop whole armies out of orbit. It eliminated the tedious multi-turn movements required to get units into enemy territory.
Activision's reason for this was some crap about space not really being part of the central game playing area- it was a distrction from the game because it was a seperate view. Personally I think the reason for this and the awfulness of CTP2 was that activision management wanted a quick dollar- they wanted to capitalise on consumer loyalty to the civilization/CTP name. As I write this I'm about to remove CTP2 from my hard drive- CTP1 may not be perfect but at least it's playable.
Old March 16, 2001, 22:42   #2
Grandpa Troll
supporter
PolyCast TeamApolytoners Hall of Fame
Immortal Factotum

Local Time: 05:25
Ok..Have a great day now you hear?

We all voice your sentiments..with EXCEPTION..of removing game from Hard Drive..Although Yes I too am EXTREMELY DISSAPOINTED..I have (or should I say..am in PROCESS)..of "MODDING"..or "TWEAKING"..to my hearts content to make more playable for me

But you are not alone my friend!

Have a blessed day!

Yours in civin

Troll

------------------
Hebrews 11:1

Now Faith is the substance of things hoped for and things unseen
Old March 17, 2001, 01:37   #3
cousLee
Prince

Local Time: 04:25
I came over to this forum to see if any opinions were here about ctp2. I had installed ctp when it first came out, and wrote it off as shelfware. i decided to re-visit it now that all these fixes are available. I have found it still dry. I considered perhaps ctp2 was a better game. HA, after reading this thread, and others in this forum, I won't waste my time or money.

I disagree about the ctp interface. I think it sucks. Some real annoying movement actions also. It's still not much of a challange. I am trying some harder settings, but even in this last one, I am power graphing so far ahead, it is becomming boring and hardly worth finishing the mop-up part.

Thanks for the warning about ctp2.

If your looking for a good game, spend about half the money and get "Stars!".
Old March 17, 2001, 11:28   #4
Jen Dragon
Chieftain

I am, almost everyone disappointed is long gone. I keep
checking back just in case Wes's Med mod is done.
Old March 17, 2001, 14:05   #5
wittlich

Disappointed in CTP2??? THAT'S an understatment

So Timelord, what are you going for? The world's largest/longest Thread?

Well, you have my "disappointed in CTP2" posting!

Old March 17, 2001, 19:41   #6
timelord50
Settler

I posted this topic to see if others thought the same as me. It turns out that they do- that justifys me removing it from my HD. If we want to make this the world's longest thread we can go on about other games too. Anyone ever bought a game that was made by Cryo?
Old March 17, 2001, 21:20   #7
MidKnight Lament
King

Local Time: 19:25
Yep, yep.

I keep checking back here too in the hope that there'll be some lovely modding to save it. But rather than try CTP2 again and get disheartened, I'm just playing SMAC again for a while.

I'll give it another shot in a month or so, but needless to say, I'm mighty disappointed in it.

------------------
- MKL ... "And a sun that doesn't set but settles" - Augie March
Shameless Plug: http://www.poetic-license.org ............. All welcome.
Old March 18, 2001, 10:28   #8
Jen Dragon
Chieftain

I've played thru the Midguard scenaro in test of time and
realized I had never played it before. I had played the
fantasy scenario but not Midguard, what a pleasant suprise. It was
way fun playing as the Elves.
Old March 18, 2001, 14:47   #9
Grandpa Troll
supporter
Immortal Factotum

quote:

Originally posted by Jen Dragon on 03-18-2001 09:28 AM
I've played thru the Midguard scenaro in test of time and
realized I had never played it before. I had played the
fantasy scenario but not Midguard, what a pleasant suprise. It was
way fun playing as the Elves.

Off Topic my friend!

Troll

------------------

Old March 19, 2001, 01:27   #10
Triumphus Romanus
Chieftain

Ya know, CTP2 was my intro into the turn-based civ builder genre, and i played it daily for a couple weeks, then started winning so easily. The various AI/Diplomacy tweaks helped, some....but it just wasnt challenging.
I stopped playing for about a month, came back to it and now cant stay interested long enough to go Feudal :-)

But, being caught up in a new genre, I picked up Civ2-TOT for $11 and have been playing that...also Shogun. TOT is kinda hard to get used to, being that I cut my teeth on CTP2, but so far, it is more fun and the AI is better....at least thats my opinion. Also, anyone that hasnt tried 1602 should give it a go......fun, and so far challenging.

I hope Civ3 is tops, I really love this genre.

And yes, I know......Shogun is a tb/rts mix, and 1602 is rts.....but they all have some similar qualities....gonna buy Europa Universalis shortly.
[This message has been edited by Triumphus Romanus (edited March 19, 2001).]
Old March 19, 2001, 12:09   #11
Steve5304

Crap-Ta-Vision totally blew us off. There is no 1.2 patch and PBEM wont be added.

btw i am extremely pissed because they totally blew over the units and AI intellegence department. I mean what the hell, the "Infantryman"? We still call our men today Infantrymen! Better yet where the hell is the Legion? In Ctp Multiplayer he was the "Poor-mans Samurai". Even Worse is the Absence of a Mech infantry like in Civ2 and the addition of "cargo Helicopter". I mean geez a cargo Helicopter,Why the hell is that in the game? These have almost no significance in wars today and serve very little purpose during the game.

You should have also taught the AI how to Use Carriers and aircraft correctly. Wait, you should have taught the AI somthing Period! Diety is Nothing, I got sick of having my 9 Pikemen killing off lonely Marines and Tanks , Because the AI does not know how to stack units.

All in all, this game was returned, I hope others do the same.

------------------------------------

"Oh what detestable things did Men of Sodom and Gommorrah commit! Men layed with men and then lay on pig. Such Abhorrent evil would not be tolerated bye GOD. So one day the Almighty LORD sent Fire and Brimstone from the sky. Then the Great Sea rose and Swallow the citys up. The sea then became like Salt, No man could drink its Dead waters. Sodom and Gommorah were no more and there Inhabitants now lay only with Maggots in hell and only have eternity to look forward too." ISIAH 21:13

[This message has been edited by Steve5304 (edited March 19, 2001).]
Old March 19, 2001, 14:08   #12
Skeeve
Prince

Hey guys, come on, that stuff should be in the OT forum.

------------------
My reach exceeds my grasp!
Old March 19, 2001, 14:12   #13
Immortal Wombat
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Prince

Local Time: 10:25
quote:

Originally posted by Steve5304 on 03-19-2001 11:09 AM
I mean what the hell, the "Infantryman"? We still call our men today Infantrymen!

Change it then - gl_str.txt

quote:

Better yet where the hell is the Legion? In Ctp Multiplayer he was the "Poor-mans Samurai".

Take the sprite and tgas from ctp and put them in ctp2

quote:

Even Worse is the Absence of a Mech infantry

...Add-able (In fact, I think it downloadable in Harlan's WW2 graphics pack)

quote:

the addition of "cargo Helicopter". I mean geez a cargo Helicopter,Why the hell is that in the game? These have almost no significance in wars today and serve very little purpose during the game.

So? Change its stats and make it an attack 'copter

Before you yell, I know the players shouldn't have to edit their own game, but all games are edited, for some people its half the fun, even AoK, where all editing has to crack into the gamefiles with special utilities has been heavily modded to people's liking, and that is the best RTS game there has been.

PS. PBEM is usable, see the top thread in the ctp2 multiplayer forum
PPS. David Murray is right, your spelling sucks
Old March 19, 2001, 16:16   #14
Locutus
Apolytoners Hall of FameCiv4 SP Democracy GameCiv4 InterSite DG: Apolyton TeamBtS Tri-LeagueC4BtSDG TemplarsC4WDG Team ApolytonCivilization IV CreatorsCTP2 Source Code ProjectPolyCast Team
Deity

Local Time: 11:25
quote:

Originally posted by Steve5304 on 03-19-2001 11:09 AM
[...] I mean geez a cargo Helicopter,Why the hell is that in the game? These have almost no significance in wars today [...]

I'm not even gonna join this discussion but this remark clearly shows that you obviously don't know the first thing about military strategy and warfare. Ever heard of Vietnam? (To name but one example)
Old March 19, 2001, 18:35   #15
leonli316
Chieftain

Yes, very dissapointed. So you should download the game and mod it instead.
Old March 20, 2001, 01:03   #16
Chronus
Prince

TRIUMPHUS QUOTE: "Also, anyone that hasnt tried 1602 should give it a go......fun, and so far challenging."

I quite agree! 1602 has been a very pleasant suprise. Merely creating a mini empire was challenging. Now that I have that down pat, I've been reaching the scenarios where combat plays a larger role. I'm curious to see what happens next!

Sorry, Troll ... off topic, again! ;-)
Old March 20, 2001, 01:58   #17
David Murray
Prince

[quote"Oh what detestable things did Men of Sodom and Gommorrah commit! Men layed with men and then lay on pig. Such Abhorrent evil would not be tolerated bye GOD. So one day the Almighty LORD sent Fire and Brimstone from the sky. Then the Great Sea rose and Swallow the citys up. The sea then became like Salt, No man could drink its Dead waters. Sodom and Gommorah were no more and there Inhabitants now lay only with Maggots in hell and only have eternity to look forward too." ISIAH 21:13
[/quote]

Hey Steve, how coincidental that Isiah had similar terrible spelling to yourself.

I've long maintained that along with a good education and a bright mind comes tolerance and enlightenment; you've just proved my point.
Old March 20, 2001, 07:54   #18
Grandpa Troll
supporter
Immortal Factotum

quote:

Originally posted by Chronus on 03-20-2001 12:03 AM
TRIUMPHUS QUOTE: "Also, anyone that hasnt tried 1602 should give it a go......fun, and so far challenging."

I quite agree! 1602 has been a very pleasant suprise. Merely creating a mini empire was challenging. Now that I have that down pat, I've been reaching the scenarios where combat plays a larger role. I'm curious to see what happens next!

Sorry, Troll ... off topic, again! ;-)

(Disgruntled Troll-Forum Police Frowns)

I'll be givin ya ah (LOUD BELCH) warnin..THIS TIME!

(Dusting off confectionate Doughnut droppings & Fresh Chili Sauce from uniform)

Just trying to help keep threads to correct application my friend!!

Yours in Civin

Troll

------------------

Old March 20, 2001, 18:17   #19
Dale
Emperor

Local Time: 19:25
WARNING! Don't read this Troll. Contains OT material.

Yeah, 1602 was a gem! My mum got it and let me burn it. I still play it now.

Also, Cultures is another little prize I found. Waiting for Settlers IV my brother got Cultures and I've been playing around with that too. Give it a go if you like the Settlers line.

------------------
Rommell to a sub-commander outside Tobruk: "Those Australians are in there somewhere. But where? Let's advance and wait till they shoot, then shoot back."
Old March 20, 2001, 19:32   #20
Grandpa Troll
supporter
Immortal Factotum

quote:

Originally posted by Dale on 03-20-2001 05:17 PM
WARNING! Don't read this Troll. Contains OT material.

Yeah, 1602 was a gem! My mum got it and let me burn it. I still play it now.

Also, Cultures is another little prize I found. Waiting for Settlers IV my brother got Cultures and I've been playing around with that too. Give it a go if you like the Settlers line.

~1-ADAM-Troll.....1-ADAM-Troll...~

Respond to an OT in General/Strategy...suspect is suspected in possible multiple violations of this code..1-ADAM-Troll..finish Dominoes Pizza then please respond PRIOR to doughnut stop..

Troll

------------------