Old March 4, 2001, 19:44   #1
Alexander's Horse

Please Please Please, Somebody, Anybody, fix the multiplayer!!
Its such a tragedy that such a potentially excellent game cannot be multiplayed. Can anybody fix this? Is the problem beyond amateur patching?

------------------
Chaos, panic and disorder - My work here is done.

Old March 4, 2001, 22:58   #2
Steve5304

Local Time: 09:25
Local Date: October 31, 2010
Very simple answer to that is .....NO, The real problem is the standerd of Internet play, Activision Recommends using 56k Bandwith ( all 56k modems ,infact, do not go 56k ,they travel at 28k , the max allowed bye the phone lines.This is because More Internet Uers = More traffic = Quality must be toned down , to cope)

Activision MP Requirements

P-2 200 mhz
64mb of Ram
Earthlink/Mindspring
56k/V.90

However , This is what i use

P2-366 Mhz
64mb Ram
AOL 6.0 (<--the problem)

I switched too Msn , But after that i realised MSN was no better. Then i made the switch to Earthlink and bought my new Cpu. and VIOLA! no problems

Old March 6, 2001, 09:27   #3
wittlich

Well Alexander, I feel for you.

I myself am using DSL with a 866Mhz machine. My opponent uses DSL with a 450Mhz machine. We both log on to the internet using Earthlink DSL and CTP2 Multiplay is still not workable. The game works fine in the beginning, but as the game progesses, the constant resyncs get worse...to the point were the game is basically unplayable. It doesn't matter who hosts the game, the resyncs occure - especially when one of us trys to disembark a unit off of a boat or helicopter. The game resyncs and resets back to before the disembarkment was given - or, if you disembark and then move the ship away, the game resyncs...the ship is still at its last position, but the unit is BACK on it

IMO, I believe this problem is embedded to deep for a simple modification to fix it. And since Activison has pulled the plug on its support to the game, I don't think the multiplayer option will ever be fixed.

I know this was not the response you were looking for, but up until now I have found no way around finishing a multiplay game.

Old March 6, 2001, 18:58   #4
Alexander's Horse

Thanks for the replies, fellow sufferers. I think Activision is being so stupid about this - multiplayer is the future for these games. Just look at all the multiplayer leagues there are for civ 2. It could revive sales if they patched it. Then the stupid ai doesn't matter.

I feel I have been ripped off, cheated by Activision because I only multiplay. And what I can't understand is they have many other titles, the quake series for example, which are very stable for multiplay.

------------------

Old March 11, 2001, 15:00   #5
SlyRedFox
Settler

I am playing multiplayer over a LAN at home and have run into the same problems. I play other multiplayer games and have no problems. We're over turn 600 and it resynchs every turn and loses connection. Activision says it's not a problem in their code but I've tried other things to correct. I agree multiplayer is the future of most gaming and they need to get it right. It's unplayable.
Old March 21, 2001, 05:35   #6
PaulWilliams
Settler

Activisionm has withdrawn support for CtPII? Is this true?

The problems MUST be with their code because they did not have the same problems with CTP I.

QED.

Paul Williams
Old March 21, 2001, 12:36   #7
wittlich

Yes Paul it is true. Look in the CTP2-General Forum for the posted letter from Activision to the Civilization Community. They have dumped the game -there will be no more future patches from Activision.

Old March 22, 2001, 04:50   #8
PaulWilliams
Settler

(Polite version)

Oh dear !!!

Couldn't find their post. Roughly when was it? I'ld just like to see how they justified their decision ...
Old March 22, 2001, 11:56   #9
wittlich

quote:

Originally posted by PaulWilliams on 03-22-2001 03:50 AM
(Polite version)

Oh dear !!!

Couldn't find their post. Roughly when was it? I'ld just like to see how they justified their decision ...

Paul, found the posting (had to dig for it ). Just follow this address:
http://apolyton.net/forums/Forum35/HTML/000954.html

This should answer your questions

Old March 22, 2001, 20:02   #10
Alexander's Horse

Such a waste. This could be a really good MP game

------------------

Old March 23, 2001, 11:34   #11
Steve5304

Im checking it out now as we speak.Alexander I sent a letter to Activision upon finding some stupid Mpgame bugs. Such as the Building style constantly switching to default "Asian". I also pointed out that it actually appears to be 2 conflicting devices between certain graphical connection nodes and between CTP2 players. And not a hard-code error programming like orignally thought. Activision said they would check into it, I hope that my findings will help them too take a second look. We all must pin our hats on activision, I probably wont be spending 6 months brewing up a solution. But I have promised to run the CTP1.21 hack and other possible fixes. However these probably wont yield anything good.

however, once again, dont get to excited. Since we've bashed activision from head to toe I dont think they will come to help us.

Also MP isnt completely "Unplayable". The conflict is between air-sea-ruins If one excludes all aircraft,ships,and uses a custom map without ruins.The game runs perfectly fine.

I have also pointed out that Gameleague, has either alot of cheaters, Or people are winning games.

btw alexander, Many people are working on this, just we get so frustrated at activision for not supporting our efforts . There still in a state of denial about all this.

[This message has been edited by Steve5304 (edited March 23, 2001).]
Old March 25, 2001, 19:58   #12
Alexander's Horse

Thanks for the info Steve. If the multiplayer bug is fixed this could be a first rate game.

------------------