Old April 28, 2001, 21:08   #1
jadlakha
Warlord

Local Time: 09:27
Local Date: October 31, 2010
C:CTP better then CTP2?????
I hate to say it but Ive come to the conclusion that C:CTP is much better then CTP2. First of all C:CTP at least had pbem and hotseat support fully implemented(not like in CTP2 where ppl had to buy the game then figure out how to get it to work to only find that both hotseat and pbem are greatly flawed). But the main reason I have to say that C:CTP is better then CTP2 is the AI. The AI actually did stuff. In fact they even had diplomacy amongst themselves at least. I can not find any reason to justify why CTP2 is better then C:CTP.
Old April 28, 2001, 21:10   #2
jadlakha
Warlord

Oh ya, one more thing, C:CTP has actually WAY less fatal flaws and bugs(although it sure did have a lot) then CTP2.
Old April 29, 2001, 08:21   #3
Solver
lifer
Civilization IV CreatorsAge of Nations TeamApolytoners Hall of FamePolyCast TeamBtS Tri-LeagueThe Courts of Candle'BreC4WDG Team Apolyton
Deity

Local Time: 12:27
Well, without the patch CtP 1 also kept crashing each five minutes.

------------------
Solver the "Running Beer" - http://www.aok.20m.com
Old April 29, 2001, 10:56   #4
jadlakha
Warlord

Ya thats true, but at least the patch for CTP1 fixed most of its major bugs unlike CTP2.
Old April 29, 2001, 11:44   #5
Solver
lifer
Civilization IV CreatorsAge of Nations TeamApolytoners Hall of FamePolyCast TeamBtS Tri-LeagueThe Courts of Candle'BreC4WDG Team Apolyton
Deity

Don't know. CtP 2 never crashed for me, but I've only played it a little.

------------------
Old April 29, 2001, 14:27   #6
Dida
Prince

haha...I'm now very happy that I did not buy this game.
I bought Activision's Heavy Gear 2, which sucks too.
Old April 30, 2001, 06:38   #7
Solver
lifer
Deity

What's Heavy Gear?

------------------
Old April 30, 2001, 22:08   #8
PRoy
Settler

What I miss the most is probably the activity level of the first one. It seems like my neighbors were more aggresive with things like slavers and clerics, requiring constant vigilance. I'm not sure why it was necessary to tone it down in the sequel.
Old May 1, 2001, 03:54   #9
VivalaCTP2
Chieftain

How come everyone always complains about the game crashing? Whats wrong with your dodgy computers? CTP and CTP2 have both never crashed for me, with or without any patch so i don't see what the problem is .... the game is awesome and if you live in a decent country with decent computers you could actually play the game. I quite like CTP and CTP2 is better, more user friendly anyway thats my opinion goodbye
Old May 1, 2001, 06:49   #10
Fuzzball
Prince

Local Time: 19:27
I'm in Melbourne, Australia too Viva.....We're not really all that technically advanced in comparison with alot of nations dude. So what's up with the "decent country , decent computer" comment? With John Howard as our most prominent figurehead, do you think other nations would view Australia as a decent country?.......Our international reputation in regards to many things leaves somewhat to be desired.
And the above comments in regards to the Ctp games are true for the most part. Ctp2 has alot of bugs. Alot more than the originial Ctp and many that patches don't seem to deal with as well. Activision is trying to deal with alot of complaints and they have updated the patch for Ctp2 with a new list of known "bugfixes". Known bugfixes that is. So if you own Ctp2...keep on complaining...but when you do, complain in a bit of detail so that if by some crazy chance.....Activision actually read your complaint....then they might have something to go on. That way the next patch might fix your problem. Who the **** playtested this **** is what I want to know. They deserve to have their websites and emails bombarded by all ctp and ctp2 gamers. Activision seems to have this thing for getting a product out, marketing it very well.....but then dealing with all the program faults after distribution....when they get time that is. When I pay for a product. I expect it in full working order the day I purchase it. I don't expect to have to upgrade the product via download after download in order to make the program viable, and the game playable, especially in a multiplayer environment. Activision will not be receiving any of the $$$$$ I freely spend on entertainment and software in the future. I have personally told them such in emails to their support links that don't work...and return the mail to you. There's alot of new products entering the market now. I'm looking forward to playing all the ones that have nothing to do with Activision. I'm also looking forward to non-Activision games getting more coverage by Apolyton in the future. **** u Craptavision.
Old May 1, 2001, 16:11   #11
jadlakha
Warlord

Well I got an ATHOLON 900 MHZ GEFORCE2 MX 256MB PC133 RAM AND I LIVE IN THE UNITED STATES OF AMERICA. I LIVE IN HOUSTON, TEXAS , WHERE COMPAQ(THE LARGEST BRAND NAME OF HOME COMPUTERS IN THE WORLD) IS BASED(however I custom built my computer) So dont give me that crap about living in a crappy country and being technilogically illiterate. As I recall CTP crashed every game without the patch on some term. CTP2 I had no problems with bugs or crashes but the game play mechanics and the AI is THE WORST I HAVE EVER SEEN. Civ 1 has a better AI then CTP2. CTP2 has no many flaws in gameplay it aint even funny. The diplomacy sux because you dont know why something was rejected. and there are no responses other then yes or no to proposals. The games AI is pure crap in all forms.
Old May 1, 2001, 16:15   #12
jadlakha
Warlord

Oh ya and I dont like alot of stuff that has to do with the tech tree, I hate the lawyer units and certain others which subtract from gameplay(dont give me the crap about altering game files, WHEN I BUY A GAME I EXPECT MYSELF NOT TO HAVE TO DO ANY ADJUSTING WITH GAME FILES), there are the sea city sprite bugs, the games soundtrack never plays anymore for somereason(I checked all the settings and I do play with the CD) Trade is essentially pointless,mayors are useless, AI has no diplomacy between one another, Borders go way to far out over oceans etc....... Oh ya and the thing where its explains regard from one nation to another is essentially pointless.
Old May 1, 2001, 16:18   #13
jadlakha
Warlord

quote:

Originally posted by PRoy on 04-30-2001 10:08 PM
What I miss the most is probably the activity level of the first one. It seems like my neighbors were more aggresive with things like slavers and clerics, requiring constant vigilance. I'm not sure why it was necessary to tone it down in the sequel.

Hey I live in Houston, btw I TOTALLY AGREE WITH THAT COMMENT. That is exactly what I meant when I said CTP is better then CTP2. Oh ya some more complaints against the CTP series, Most of the tile values are screwed up(for example forest gives barely any production even though its filled with lots of trees and ocean gives production when it shouldnt.)
Old May 1, 2001, 16:19   #14
jadlakha
Warlord

The flames continue..........

A game is truly messed up when independent ppl have to release fix mods or other mods (medmod) to actually make the game decent. Mods should be there to ENHANCE gameplay, not CREATE gameplay.
Old May 1, 2001, 16:47   #15
Skeeve
Prince

Local Time: 05:27
quote:

Originally posted by jadlakha on 05-01-2001 04:19 PM
Mods should be there to ENHANCE gameplay, not CREATE gameplay.

Well, I've got to agree with that.
At first I thought it was great that CTP2 could be modified, but now I'm realizing the difference between could be and must be. We are essentially forced to modify this game because it's incomplete. Oh well, at least the succession game is fun... but not to CTP2's credit.. you can do a succession game with just about anything that allows saved games.

- Skeeve

------------------
My reach exceeds my grasp!
Old May 4, 2001, 23:05   #16
Chris B
Warlord

Local Time: 04:27
If activision had taken the time to properly DEBUG CTP2, it would be close. I think C:CTP was better in many ways, though if I went back I would sure miss the diplomacy and easier modding. CTP2 had a lot of good ideas. Shame they were so poorly executed.
Old May 5, 2001, 06:07   #17
Solver
lifer
Deity

Looked like Activison were in a hurry.

------------------
Old May 5, 2001, 09:24   #18
Peter Triggs
CTP2 Source Code ProjectCivilization IV Creators
King

Yeah, they had to get it out before last Christmas because you know what is coming out this Christmas and there's no way they could compete.
Old May 5, 2001, 10:31   #19
Fuzzball
Prince

Local Time: 19:27
Damn straight. Bring life back to civ strategy Firaxis!!!
Man....We are lucky Firaxis is an actual person and doesn't act like some corporations......If he only knew how many civ gamers he has by the nuts right now..hehe
Old May 5, 2001, 10:32   #20
David Murray
Prince

quote:

Originally posted by Peter Triggs on 05-05-2001 09:24 AM
Yeah, they had to get it out before last Christmas because you know what is coming out this Christmas and there's no way they could compete.

What?

Father Christmas?

If you mean Civilization III then no, it probably isn't coming out this year...and besides, why would Activision rush to get the program out for Christmas if Civ3 was at least a year away? More likely they just hoped that they'd get the same success as with CTP1 without half as much work...no big deal, they suffered badly from it.

Old May 12, 2001, 09:16   #21
Russian King
Chieftain

Local Time: 17:27
quote:

Originally posted by VivalaCTP2 on 05-01-2001 03:54 AM
How come everyone always complains about the game crashing? Whats wrong with your dodgy computers? CTP and CTP2 have both never crashed for me, with or without any patch so i don't see what the problem is .... the game is awesome and if you live in a decent country with decent computers you could actually play the game. I quite like CTP and CTP2 is better, more user friendly anyway thats my opinion goodbye

a coupla facts: i live in the country too, and it looks to me less decent that some others(the ones other users usually come from), also, you like ctp's so much because they are better than civ2: wrong. The games are better but not good enough fo this age. I would expect something much more serious that ctp from sid.
In simple terms: sure, greatgames, but lots of bugs( maybe you play very simple to have any bugs) and imbalances
Old May 12, 2001, 09:20   #22
Russian King
Chieftain

quote:

Originally posted by Fuzzball on 05-01-2001 06:49 AM
I'm in Melbourne, Australia too Viva.....We're not really all that technically advanced in comparison with alot of nations dude. So what's up with the "decent country , decent computer" comment? With John Howard as our most prominent figurehead, do you think other nations would view Australia as a decent country?.......Our international reputation in regards to many things leaves somewhat to be desired.
And the above comments in regards to the Ctp games are true for the most part. Ctp2 has alot of bugs. Alot more than the originial Ctp and many that patches don't seem to deal with as well. Activision is trying to deal with alot of complaints and they have updated the patch for Ctp2 with a new list of known "bugfixes". Known bugfixes that is. So if you own Ctp2...keep on complaining...but when you do, complain in a bit of detail so that if by some crazy chance.....Activision actually read your complaint....then they might have something to go on. That way the next patch might fix your problem. Who the **** playtested this **** is what I want to know. They deserve to have their websites and emails bombarded by all ctp and ctp2 gamers. Activision seems to have this thing for getting a product out, marketing it very well.....but then dealing with all the program faults after distribution....when they get time that is. When I pay for a product. I expect it in full working order the day I purchase it. I don't expect to have to upgrade the product via download after download in order to make the program viable, and the game playable, especially in a multiplayer environment. Activision will not be receiving any of the $$$$$ I freely spend on entertainment and software in the future. I have personally told them such in emails to their support links that don't work...and return the mail to you. There's alot of new products entering the market now. I'm looking forward to playing all the ones that have nothing to do with Activision. I'm also looking forward to non-Activision games getting more coverage by Apolyton in the future. **** u Craptavision.

Fuzzball: you are one of very few australians that i recognize as decent. Thanx for facing the truth. Not saying my contry is better, but we have our good points.
Old May 12, 2001, 09:26   #23
Russian King
Chieftain

quote:

Originally posted by Solver on 05-05-2001 06:07 AM
Looked like Activison were in a hurry.

And they WERE: to finish their great project and get some $