Old May 8, 2001, 20:03   #1
Skeeve
Prince

Local Time: 05:27
Local Date: October 31, 2010
The Next Succession Game! But first, a Vote.
I'm done! My semester is over... !! I'm FREE FREE FREE
(followed by insanely happy laughter)

Okay Succession Game Newbies - We need your vote!
(This vote is for the newbies only - see my post in the succession game thread for the current list. I think it's up to 11 players).
  • 1) Do you want to use one of the current succession game files (probably starting around 3500BC) to start your next game? Before you say no, think about this for a minute, it might be fun to see how different your game turns out compared to ours... but don't let me influence your vote. Doh! I probably already did.
  • 2) If your answer is "yes" to #1, then you're done. Skip the rest of the questions and post your vote. Otherwise, what is your preferred difficulty level for the next game?
  • 3) How many opponents do you prefer? (Let's keep it below 16)
  • 4) Map Size?
  • 5) What Nation would you like to be? (I've already got one vote for the Irish).
  • 6) What would you like to call yourselves? (e.g., In our game, we're called the Apolytons...)
  • 7) Any change in the turn lengths? (e.g., 20 turns until 1AD, 15 until 1500AD, 10 turns for the rest)
  • 8) Any other suggested change in the standard rules that we play by? (e.g., err.. Don't ask me, I forgot! )

Okay, post your votes to the above (or just #1 if yes) on this thread, and in a couple days we'll get you guys started!!

-Skeeve

P.S. I don't know about you, but I'm getting a little tired of that "My reach exceeds my grasp" signature. Any thoughts?
Okay, maybe I'm just a little loopy from having finished my semester at business school.

------------------
My reach exceeds my grasp!
[This message has been edited by Skeeve (edited May 09, 2001).]
Old May 8, 2001, 21:35   #2
bj
Chieftain

Local Time: 09:27
1. Yes

...but If Im out-voted...

2. Dont care. Like I said i've yet to finish a game of single player so I cant say, but even so medium AI seems kinda easy - they put up a bit of resistance but after you get around that it seems too easy. So any level greater than medium.

3. Ermmm 6-8. Personally i have found customising civ games more than difficult in the past, including loading maps and using more than 'legal' amount of civs. If any of this happens i'll need step by step

(OT but Why, when starting a game, cant I just say Load external map? How stoopid.)

4. Huge to Gigantic.

5. Australian Naw, I dont care as long as the city names aren't humungously long and hard to spell/pronounce. English names please!

6. ??? Noobies ???

7. Sounds fine.

8. bloodlust off, pollution on? Earth world. Map options something like this:

[This message has been edited by bj (edited May 08, 2001).]
Old May 8, 2001, 23:19   #3
Mokael
Chieftain

1) no, the original game advanced too far.

2) either Hard, or very hard (never got around to trying impossible)

3) hmm, 8 should be enough

4) Huge is OK

5) Egyptians. Simply because it's the first civilization to emerge. Of course, u can argue that it was Shumerian, but they ain't the option, are they?

6) Pharaoh, of course After all -- we're nothin' but gods!

7) nah, turn length are fine

8) customize map. craptivisoin's earth map sucks. AI Frenzy MOD? Never tried it, but may be it'll make gameplay more interesting? And yeah -- bloodlust off, polution on.

P.S. Skeeve, how about "my grasp exceeds my reach"?
Old May 9, 2001, 05:27   #4
redstar1
Civilization III PBEMCivilization III MultiplayerPtWDG LegolandCivilization III Democracy GameTrade Wars / BlackNova TradersInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamNationStates
Prince

Local Time: 10:27
1) No, I think we should start afresh. The appeal is that it is a succession, and I think it would be better if we randomised the playerlist and let number one start. Maybe they will mess up (most likely if its me ) but thats the whole point, not every ruler will be a great CTP player. Thats what makes it fun!

2) I honestly don't mind on this. I have no preferred level to play as it really depends on what sort of mood i'm in. I'll say medium or above. (not sure what the level is of the current game but I see no reason not to use that level, or maybe the next one up)

3) Again, I don't mind. I'd say 8+ as I'm going to suggest a huge map.

4) Huge. big enough for a decent length game but not out of hand like a gigantic map. We don't want someone spending their entire 15 turns moving a ship full of units to the nearest continent....

5) I voted for the Irish and I'll stick to it

6) Not sure about this. Apolyton works nicely for the Greeks. I'll say something silly like Grandmaster

7) Turn lengths sound fine as long as everyone is aware of how many they have when they receive the file.

8) Sounds grand. I think we need to make a decision on the version. I say we play the patched game with Diplomod (only because this is what I play).

Are we wanting a Website for these games?

Dave
Old May 9, 2001, 09:57   #5
rooboy
Chieftain

Local Time: 19:27
1. Probably best to start a new game, but i don't really care either way.

2. Very Hard or Impossible. Need some sort of challenge.

3. I'm happy with 8.

4. Huge or Gigantic.

5. Irish.

6. Depends on nationality eg. Pharaoh for Egyptians.

7. Yep. Just as long as everyone understands this from the beginning.

8. Same as before.

[This message has been edited by rooboy (edited May 09, 2001).]
Old May 9, 2001, 15:16   #6
Immortal Wombat
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Prince

quote:

Originally posted by Skeeve on 05-08-2001 08:03 PM
I'm done! My semester is over... !! I'm FREE FREE FREE
{followed by insanely happy laughter}

Grrrr.... 2 more weeks
Oh yeah, and you cant use < > signs, cos their html characters

quote:

(This vote is for the newbies only - see my post in the succession game thread for the current list. I think it's up to 11 players).

I won't vote, but...
quote:

P.S. I don't know about you, but I'm getting a little tired of that "My reach exceeds my grasp" signature. Any thoughts?

Yeah, its old Get a really weird one, like mine

Ben

------------------
Eat Cake
Old May 9, 2001, 15:43   #7
me_irate
Warlord

Local Time: 04:27
no... but how about this, we start when you finish your game with the same map and everything you guys do. Or maybe split you guys in half and make 2 games same map and civs, and put half of us new players in it, just an idea. Then after lets say turn 100, 200, 300...etc we can post our rankings and such to see which one is doing better.

2. hardest or next to that
3. 10-12 openents more than that and turns go slowly....but since were only playing 20 turns might not be a big deal.
4. HUUUUUGE
5. my vote is for phoenician, or babylonians(my custom civ)
6. it gets kinda confusing skeeve the III also the Apolyton XII my vote is no title
7. they work fine in my view as is
8. cant put cities within 7 spaces of each other. Makes it somewhat more difficult.

ps. can someone post the save to your game, it makes good reading but i would like to get a visual idea of your empire.
Old May 9, 2001, 16:02   #8
Mokael
Chieftain

another add-on to question 8.

Earth world, or Doughnut world? I'm for donuts!

Old May 9, 2001, 19:48   #9
Skeeve
Prince

UPDATE ON THE VOTE

Okay, so far it looks like this:
  • 1. No vote edges out Yes 3-2. With 2 abstentions. Looks like most people want a brand new game.
  • 2. Everyone agrees that difficulty should be > Medium. Very Hard/Impossible votes seem to edge out the votes for Hard, therefore, it looks like it's leaning to Very Hard as the difficulty level. (In my opinion, this is a comfortable level to play on).
  • 3. 8 Civs is winning by a landslide!
  • 4. 'Huge' is the consensus by an overwhelming majority so far.
  • 5. Well, it seems that 3 votes for the Irish have pretty much decided it!
  • 6. No two votes are the same for this one. We have the; "Noobies", "Pharoah's", "Grandmasters", "Micks" and No Title. Also, there's one "it depends". Since there's no consensus on this yet, I recommend the 'No Title' suggested by Me_Irate. I think there is really no need, and if you come to a consensus later you can put it in your summaries.
  • 7. Unanimous! Keep the turn lengths!
  • 8. Most people want Bloodlust off, pollution on. (That's what the current game is doing). There are two votes for an Earth World and two votes for a customized map. (Actually, one was for the same as the other game - which is customized map). Therefore, we're kind of deadlocked on the Earth vs. Custom map. We'll wait a little longer on this. Someone suggested a 7-space rule when placing cities. In my opinion, and in the spirit of the succession game, you guys should let each ruler decide for himself how he's going to rule (i.e, place cities). That's just the nature of the succession game. Of course - this game is for you guys, and if that's what you want then by all means...

By the way... couple more things:
It is vital that everyone play with the patch.
2 reasons: We discovered that the file cannot be transferred from patch versions to non-patch versions, and secondly, most people have the patch by now so.... get with the program!

Also, we have never tested using Mods with this.
I suspect that you'll have problems if someone plays with a Modified game (such as Diplomod or AI Frenzy) and transfers the file to someone who doesn't. However, I guess there's only one way to find out...

Okay, what do you say we kick this one off this weekend!?

If you like, I'll create a saved game file at 4000BC, but I won't play it. I'll just e-mail it to #1 on the list and you all can run with it.

- Skeeve

------------------
Old May 9, 2001, 20:37   #10
jackazzstudent
Chieftain

Local Time: 03:27
Everything sounds good to me!

Lets get goin and kick some A$$

Adam

Old May 9, 2001, 21:27   #11
bj
Chieftain

Yeah i suggest plain ctp2 with the patch. imo There's more chance we'll run into a problem using a mod (esp seeing ctp2 is buggy enough as it is

quote "you guys should let each ruler decide for himself how he's going to rule (i.e, place cities)."

Agreed

Other than that all sounds good.
Old May 9, 2001, 23:24   #12
Mokael
Chieftain

this weekend is fine.

Since we gonna be Irish, I've got couple ideas for a name (question 6):
1) Lucky Charms
2) Leprechaun
3) Guinness
4) St. Patrick
5) Green Beer
6) Lord of the Dance

ok, let me stop before I allienate all the Irish folks on this forum. You know we love ya!

Old May 10, 2001, 00:18   #13
jackazzstudent
Chieftain

Local Time: 03:27
I really don't mind, I do like the idea of starting from earlier in the Apolyton game, but It seems I'm out voted. So I'm gonna do what Nader's followers should have done, and vote for the second best thing:

2. Hard or Very Hard
3. 8
4. Huge
5. Irish are fine with me
6. The Micks (hope that doesn't offend anyone, I'm part Irish too)
7. don't care
8. earth world is cool, but not if we're gonna get stuck on that little island
Old May 10, 2001, 00:54   #14
David Murray
Prince

>1) Do you want to use one of the current succession game files (probably starting around 3500BC) to start your next game? Before you say no, think about this for a minute, it might be fun to see how different your game turns out compared to ours... but don't let me influence your vote. Doh! I probably already did.<

I'll abstain from a vote on this one, I'm not really bothered.

>2) If your answer is "yes" to #1, then you're done. Skip the rest of the questions and post your vote. Otherwise, what is your preferred difficulty level for the next game?<

Very hard.

>3) How many opponents do you prefer? (Let's keep it below 16)<

Maximum number of 8 civs.

>4) Map Size?<

Regular.

>5) What Nation would you like to be? (I've already got one vote for the Irish).<

Scottish!

>6) What would you like to call yourselves? (e.g., In our game, we're called the Apolytons...)<

No vote.

>7) Any change in the turn lengths? (e.g., 20 turns until 1AD, 15 until 1500AD, 10 turns for the rest)<

No changes in the turn sequence.

>8) Any other suggested change in the standard rules that we play by? (e.g., err.. Don't ask me, I forgot! )<

"Vanilla" game all the way!
Old May 10, 2001, 07:14   #15
redstar1
Civilization III PBEMCivilization III MultiplayerPtWDG LegolandCivilization III Democracy GameTrade Wars / BlackNova TradersInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamNationStates
Prince

Well I'm Northern Irish so I'm immune to alienation by now

I think everything so far sounds fair enough. I think a brand new map would be the best way to go.

As for mods, I find the diplomod irons out a few problems with the game as a whole but fair enough if we are going to play with the patched version only. Can't see it being a problem.

I agree that we don't really need a title as well as Redstar II etc. Maybe we can give ourselves epitaph's at the end like 'Redstar1 the unholy' or something like that!

Weekend sounds fine for a start as well as long as everyone else agrees and we have an idea of the rota. Looking forward to it.

Dave
Old May 10, 2001, 09:37   #16
rooboy
Chieftain

Local Time: 19:27
yep, yep, yep, yep.
Old May 10, 2001, 13:15   #17
Immortal Wombat
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Prince

Can I suggest though, that 11 players is too much. Each player will only get about 2-3 goes, and its too slow. With 11 people willing to play, we could set up two more now...
Old May 11, 2001, 08:03   #18
redstar1
Prince

So whats the plan then lads? One game or two? Not sure how the email multiplayer game works but we could have a multiplayer succession game hehe

Dave
Old May 11, 2001, 08:24   #19
Skeeve
Prince

Okay - I'll be sending the file to the first player tonight, and you guys can run with it.

By the way, even with 11 players, I think you'll still have more than 2-3 rounds each. Unless, you conquer the world, there are 900 turns in a game that lasts until 2300AD. That's enough for around 5 or 6 15-turn rounds each person.

------------------
Old May 11, 2001, 09:27   #20
redstar1
Prince

The player order the same as that email list you published?

Dave
Old May 11, 2001, 14:24   #21
Mokael
Chieftain

Just a reminder -- since we're using most of the rules that the 1st group is using, we mightr as well adop a 72 hours rule -- u have 72 hours to play your turn (or at least acknowledge that u received the file). Otherwise the file will move on to the next player.

Anyone disagrees?

Redstar -- you beat me to it. MP succession game is an awesome idea! we could play in like 2 teams of four, or something. We should think about it for furture succession game-playing.
Old May 11, 2001, 15:02   #22
Skeeve
Prince

Yes, we'll keep the same order as the list I published.
That way it's kind of first come first serve.

I'll have that game file in about 2 hours. (I'm still at work right now).
The 72-hour rule should work okay. It's sometimes hard to enforce, but usually when enough players get antsy about the file, the group itself acts as the enforcement.

Succession Game II, the dawning of the Mighty Irish coming up in 0200 hours!

- Skeeve

Edit: Look for the new thread, and then use that thread to post your summaries, talk about the game in progress, or other messages related to it.
------------------
[This message has been edited by Skeeve (edited May 11, 2001).]
Old May 11, 2001, 15:22   #23
Skeeve
Prince

Hey, here's a thought regarding an MP succession game:

Suppose that we started a brand-new game:
Someone plays the first 10 turns, but instead of passing on to his teammate, he passes the file to TEAM 2.

Then, the person on TEAM 2 goes into the editor and switches civilizations. Plays for 10 turns and sends the file back to TEAM 1.
Then player #2 on TEAM 1 goes into the editor and switches back to their original Civ, and the process continues with each TEAM alternating between 2 Civilizations. This means, or course, that for a dreaded 10 turns, the computer will have control of one Team's Civ!
But, that might make it all the more fun. Imagine TEAM 1 trying to wipe out TEAM 2 before it goes back into human control!

Does anyone know if this could possibly work???

I suppose turns would have to be no greater than 10 so the AI can't do too much damage.

Just an idea.
- Skeeve
Old May 11, 2001, 16:36   #24
Immortal Wombat
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Prince

Sounds cool Skeeve. A little scary to have the AI in control for half the time, but I'm willing to give it a go.

The team swapping is almost the same as PBEM, so it could be done single player too. Who's starting?

Ben

PS
I started my OCC game today. Perhaps "Hard" was a little ambitious, but I'm, getting an absolute a$$-kicking. There is no way I can get ahead in tech, and my military cannot get across the sea fastest enough to conquer cities. (This is version 3, which genuinly does have no way to get more than one city btw.)
Old May 12, 2001, 00:45   #25
Immortal Wombat
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Prince

I predict the world will be conquered by mid-modern age, or about 1600AD. About 4 turns each maybe...
I'd prefer to see succession game pairs, or threes.
Old May 12, 2001, 22:19   #26
Darkknight
NationStates
Prince

Getting alienated
Well it's started I wasn't online for a while so I missed this but anyway.

------------------
" Never in the field of human conflict was so much owed by so many to so few "