Old June 14, 2000, 22:55   #1
alms66
Prince

Local Time: 04:34
Local Date: October 31, 2010
Clash...OpenCiv3...Combined?
Hi all,
I'm a member of the Clash of Civilizations team, and I have a radical Idea that I may be lynched for...but I've got to try.

I've been reading alot of the OpenCiv3 stuff..and it looks great. But I also notice it is very similar to Clash. As a matter of fact, the only major difference I see is that you guys plan to code in C++ and we're coding in Java.

Mark Everson, as you may know, is our project leader, so he would have to ok this...but enough talk here's the question...

Would it be possible for both projects to combine? It would mean alot of wasted effort in Java for Clash, but I think it would be worth the switch to C++ (which I've always thought would be better anyway). Since you guys are just starting up, it would mean relatively little wasted effort for you, and in the end would mean much more creative effort concentrating on a single goal. To me it just seems silly to have 2 projects with nearly the exact same goal and nearly the exact same game models, when we could have all that energy put into one project.

I do realize this would mean some major setbacks...believe me I do. But, wouldn't it be worth it?
Old June 15, 2000, 02:13   #2
Guildmaster
Warlord

Local Time: 09:34
I dunno about your programming thingy, I olny learned to program in BasicA that was a long time ago.
Actually I was wondering just how professional this thing was going to turn out to be. My question for our staff and yours is this:
How big is this going to be? I mean, is this going to be some cheap work that everyone downloads and nobody plays, or are we actually doing a real game with a true professional look and feel?
I would certainly like it to at least look and feel professional...
In that I was thinking that there is no reason we can't make this as complex as we want- given that hardware technology is advancing as fast as it is. I believe ought to target for a decently paced game running at 1Ghz speed, too slow for anything less. The reason for this is simple: If we make the game simple enough now to go at a steady pace with p2 500s and the like, next year when nobody uses p2 500s any more no one will be playing our game. Basically what I'm saying is that if very few people buy our game now because their computers are too slow, when they do upgrade (which they will with or without us) they will go buy our game anyway and it will be ready for them. We ought to get another year of useful life out of the thing.
Old June 15, 2000, 11:04   #3
Victor Galis
Emperor

Local Time: 05:34
"In that I was thinking that there is no reason we can't make this as complex as we want- given that hardware technology is advancing as fast as it is."

-Complexity is good, but civ games are not playd by people with extremely fast computers. Complexity at the cost of graphics is good though.

"I believe ought to target for a decently paced game running at 1Ghz speed, too slow for anything less."

-You know, those still cost $3,000. How many people could actually play the game then. I may not have a system that fast for years (I wanted one this year, but I might get only an 800, and if I settle for that my next upgrade won't be for a couple years.)

"The reason for this is simple: If we make the game simple enough now to go at a steady pace with p2 500s and the like, next year when nobody uses p2 500s any more no one will be playing our game."

-I don't use a 500 yet... Most people don't use the cutting edge computers. Sure everyone buys one, but people don't buy a new system every year. I had a cutting-edge system in '95, and I might have one this year, but then I won't have one until '05. If everyone follows this pattern, everyone's computer is only top of the line 20% of the time.

"Basically what I'm saying is that if very few people buy our game now because their computers are too slow, when they do upgrade (which they will with or without us) they will go buy our game anyway and it will be ready for them. We ought to get another year of useful life out of the thing."

-Just because the games runs on slower computers doesn't mean that people won't buy it on a faster one. I mean there are very few games out there now that require more than 266 MHz.
Old June 15, 2000, 23:50   #4
alms66
Prince

I'm completely with you on the technology thing Guildmaster. Everyone must consider the scope of the project.

The fact that is all done online rather than in one large office means it will take longer to develop. The fact that it is a "hobby", and not a full-time job means it will take longer. To make it short, any project like this would probably take a minimum of 1 year. More realistically 3-5 years. So you've got to shoot for what is currently state-of-the-art, or even further, or the game will be outdated before it is even released.

On how professional it should be, I'd have to say more professional than the professionals (because, quite frankly, some of their games look like children's work).

On what is cutting-edge tech for computers...
Rather than just ramble and show my knowledge of computers, I'll make a list on what is cutting-edge:
-RAM @400Mhz bus - old RAM is at 100Mhz bus(for those of you who don't know, the bus is what you should look at in RAM and processor speed, not only the "processing" speed. For example, an AMD Atholon is better than a PIII at the same processing speed, because it has a 200Mhz bus instead of 100Mhz, like a PIII)
-1Ghz processor (Atholon, because it has 200Mhz bus instead of the PIII's 100Mhz bus)
-And that's pretty much it.
Those are the only 2 real advancements that are worth the money they cost.
Old June 16, 2000, 09:38   #5
axi
Prince

Local Time: 12:34
Clash and Openciv3 merging? Hey, I have to call my broker: those stocks are going to skyrocket omce the market hears about it!

Seriously now, this might be a very good chance for speeding up things. You see, there are currently 3 kinds of civ - type development teams:

- The pros: Firaxis, Activision and BHG, that both want to make the next Civilisation bestseller and grow themselves rich.

- The clones: The creators of games like Great Nations, Freeciv and Civ2Evolution. These games are direct clones of the civ 1-2 game concept, without any really radical changes. Game development here is centered around programming, the AI, the interface, multiplayer, etc. The teams are programmer based and are developping the games rapidly.

- The visionaries: Manifest Destiny, Clash of Civilisations, Openciv3, etc. These teams are trying for the absolute civilisation game, so they develop their games from scratch. They focus in profound gameplay and complexity and try to materialise breakthrough concepts in all of the models. They are frequented by amateurs, who show the greatest passion for game development, but very little focus and stability in their efforts. The biggest drawback of these efforts is that their progress is slow and chiefly on pen and paper.

Now it would be nice if we could concentrate enough people around a project so that we could make it something more than just a vision. We should talk more about this.

------------------
"In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act."
George Orwell
Old June 16, 2000, 11:34   #6
Mark_Everson

Hi All:

Well, the general models do seem to be similar in lots of ways... and I'm all for cooperation. But I would put TK's argument on its head. Since we have Already 50k lines of code, and a series of working demos, why exactly if we were to unite, should we ditch that and start from scratch? Just because some dislike Java*? I think most C++ programmers could pick up Java in a Very short period of time. And java is inherently cross-platform.

I think there is potential to do something if the OC3 team decides to go in some of the more radical directions I've seen proposed. If they stick fairly close to the civ2 formula in a lot of areas I personally would be less interested in a potential merger. I admit I don't read most of the OC3 threads - just too little time in the day. I guess we just need to hear what most of them say on the topic. However the general lack of interest in this thread may be an indication...

*Java IMO is much better for amateur programmers (less bugs) and can be made to run nearly as fast as C++.

------------------
Mark Everson
Project lead for The Clash of Civilizations
(That means I do the things nobody else wants to do ;-) )
This Radically different civ game needs your suggestions and/or criticism of our design.
Check our our Web Site & Forum right here at Apolyton...
Old June 16, 2000, 13:31   #7
Mark_Everson

M@ni@c:

The Clash goal is to make a short 4hr game Possible. You will also be able to manage everything at the level it is manged in civ, but the game will take correspondingly longer to play. You should even be able to micromanage More than in civ if that's your idea of fun...
Old June 16, 2000, 13:34   #8
Maniac
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameC4DG Team Alpha CentauriansACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessACDG Planet University of TechnologyPolyCast TeamACDG3 Spartans

Local Time: 11:34
Of course I dislike too much micromanagement! But a 4 hour game? What can actually happen on such a short time?
Old June 16, 2000, 15:44   #9
dan ward
Chieftain

Merging projects is probably a bad idea because, as Mark points out, they are fundamentally different at the gameplay level. The result wouldbe one big team pulling in two directions. A more specific problem would be that Clash has ~49K more lines of code than OpenCiv3.

What might be a better approach is to share technology and maybe infrastructure. One example that immediately springs to mind is meta servers (or master servers). Basically these are servers that sit on the net & provide a centralized point for finding games over the internet (Quake3 & Unreal T. uses this technique). Assuming Clash works this way why not have 1 meta server that can support Clash & OpenCiv3?

As the connection to the Meta Server is over the internet it doesn't matter which language the game is written in.

Old June 17, 2000, 00:33   #10
Maniac
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameC4DG Team Alpha CentauriansACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessACDG Planet University of TechnologyPolyCast TeamACDG3 Spartans

Is my memory failing if I think that one of your intentions for Clash was, that one game could be played in several hours, instead of the superlong civ/smac games?
I don't particularly like that. That's actually the reason I have no interest at all in Clash and personally wouldn't want the projects combined.
But who am I...
I probably won't even be able to play OC3, nor Civ3 with my meager 200 Megahertz.
Old June 17, 2000, 01:09   #11
alms66
Prince

Hi all,

I think axi hit it on the head when he said, "Now it would be nice if we could concentrate enough people around a project so that we could make it something more than just a vision. We should talk more about this."—which is essentially what I’m trying to do here.

While I agree with you on almost every point you've ever made so far (outside of this thread), Mark, I'd have to say after reading nearly all posts of OpenCiv3 and Clash, restarting (and combining) the project does seem like a good idea. Most of these topics have been beaten to death on the Clash forums, and we all (OpenCiv and Clash) seem to agree on nearly everything. You yourself said you have too much work to do, so if we freed you up from programming, by getting the OC3 programmers, that would help (hence the switch to C++ has another benefit.), also if C++ programmers can easily make the switch to Java, why not the other way around? (to get our Java programmers doing C++).

Also, you say we have 50k lines of code..., but how much is good? We are recoding the economic model, the tech model, and writing in a workable/playable (by industry standards) diplomacy model (amongst other things) for demo5, so how much do we really have?...and how much could just easily be converted? And btw, I'm not suggesting starting from scratch...most of it would be merely converting from Java to C++.

We have a series of working demos...sure, but like I said, there would be some waste to the merger, but all for a mutual and beneficial goal, while most likely ending up with a much better game.

General lack of interest in the topic...I think that's more due to OpenCiv3 people not knowing as much as I do about Clash & OC3 (both), and their general enthusiasm for their game, and not ours...but I could be wrong.

Java being as good as C++...not even close. Java started as an internet-based script to write applets and then grew into a language. Believe it or not, java is just like windows to DOS. Windows needs DOS to run (which makes windows take more memory and more time to run), just as Java needs C++ to run (which again takes more memory and time). While Java is better for amateur programmers to learn and use (because of the amount of resources available online), IMO it will eventually lead to an amateur game, which is the only downside I see in Clash.

If you remember, Mark, I promised my help as long as the project survived (which is hopefully til the end), but that was because I had a *VERY, VERY* similar design concept that I just felt it would be better to join Clash rather than use my time trying to start a new project, which is the same way I feel about OpenCiv3. If both were up when I decided to join one, I would have picked OpenCiv3, just because of the C++ thing. I admit I can't program worth a s**t, and can't write anything close to what you can, but I know a lot about computers, their internal workings, and languages...I just can't get used to that Object Oriented style (which is why I can't program worth a s**t). Anyway, from what I know about computers and the software, C++ is essentially the master and Java is the slave, so even though you write in Java, it is essentially C++, it just doesn't look the same, or run the same, because it has to convert from Java to C++ to machine code, whereas C++ goes straight to machine code, which makes it better (that's just to make a long technical and boring story short).

Anyway, it was just a thought to better help us all create a game we could and would want to play. I figured I’d get lynched for it but mostly I wasn’t, so I’d be just fine if the thought died. But I really think we should all consider this again as a worthy move, if not for our own sanity’s sake, for those who choose to play the game we end up creating.
Old June 17, 2000, 09:18   #12
The Joker
Prince

This is getting interesting.

I have not read much of the Clash design, apart from the government model. But from the small amount that I have read I must say that I like it. It definately has the same spirit as I and the other OC3 designers had in mind for our game.

So with my current knowledge I am for the two projects combining. We must know that we are both Davids, where Firaxis and the others are Goliath. We have very limited ressources availible, and as we all just have the projects as a hobby we can not even use all of our time on the project. But, unlike Firaxis we have a dream. A vision. Axi pointed it out perfectly. We are visionaries. This if our advantage. Others are the open source aspect: At least for OC3 there is no real line between members of the team and those outside it. All that are interested can join, and they just have to do as little or as much as they want. If they just want to post one idea in a thread that's ok. And we are small enough to listen to all that has good ideas. But to use our force we must be large enough to do something about it. Therefor the more we are the better is our chance of succes.

Of cause if we end up with a team that drags the game in two different directions it will not work. But will a combination of the two projects do this? Of cause we do not all agree on everything. We all have our visions. But if we can make them work together the result could be far better than any of the two teams could ever accomplish seperately.

I do not know much about the programming stuff. I am not a programmer and know nothing about the difference between Java and C++. But of cause it is not good to loose 50k lines of code. But think about that it will mean that you will get 6 new programmers and more designers to the project.

Well, we must all reach an agreement on this for anything to work.

I will wait and hear what Amjayee (who is propably the unofficial lead designer) has to say. He is also the one in contact with the programming team (whom I hardly ever interact with). But for now I am for the suggestion.

PS: Mark, you don't have to worry about us not having radical ideas to the project. We are working on designing it all from scratch with very little as copies of Civ2.
Old June 17, 2000, 18:37   #13
VetLegion
Civilization II MultiplayerDiploGames
Emperor

Hi all,

First, we are unformal group, and all opinions here are my own, not official.

Toubabo_Koomi
"...get lynched"
Of course you wont be! When I joined OC3 team, among my first moves was to get informed about the state and pace of other civ/civ clone projects. You would be amazed how many are there, probably over 20 that have web pages! (Unfortunately I lost my favorites folder in a disk format so I dont have all the links).
Clash was a project that cought my attention maybe a year ago. When OC3 idea emerged in civ3 forums, I emeddiately checked clash forums and I found a wealth of information there. I asked ( and got ) permission from Mark Everson to snoop around, and quote "..point out any areas for collaboration". As I read the forums I asked myself

"why not just join them? they seem to have momentum, and they seem to match my ideas for civ3."

Well there are a few things.

About code:

1. java. I dont have much time to learn another language...I devote it to bettering my c++

2. open source (clash is potential shareware). OC3 will stay open source even with the problems it brings (and it does). Personally, I do this as a hobby and dont expect to get payed (and dont wish either ). It doesnt mean I would agree to less then professional standards in OC3, but that is another topic.

3. I really do like the feeling of participating from day one

Also I am a little concerned about code design of other civ projects I have been seeing (including clash). I wouldnt want to write code that will be scraped later. OC3 will make an effort to present up-to-date info on code status, structure and the code itself on the internet.

About design:

While I was checking out the programming stuff on clash forums I noticed threads such as "Tech model 3.5" (x pages), Econ model (y pages). I havent read any because it occured to me that it would be a kind of idea-stealing .
On apolyton there are at least 3 efforts: civ3 lists, clash effort, and all new collosall effort by amjayee to make a workable game model that could be coded.
Much, much redundancy is seen. Many people start giving suggestions without having read civ3 wishlist which is a must-read for a designer. Probably many areas of OC3 and clash overlap here.

If I invested my work in a, say, complicated tech model for one project and I see it coded in another one without anyone asking me I would probably be offended.

Joker made a fine example by starting a thread "clash and openciv goverment model..". If I understood the idea well, it is a discussion with intention to develop an excellent goverment model without "copyrighting" it to either clash or OC3. We may end up with same goverment models . That is the way I see we can start to collaborate.

I dont want to neglect 50k lines of code and effort that was put in clash. I admire that and I hope we can do well too. Demanding clash to join us is obviously not the way to go. On the other hand I counted reasons why I cannot join clash.

Instead of "complete merger" I propose we agree on ways we can cooperate. My proposals are:

1. starting more threads we can work on together ( like jokers thread).

2. joining some resources ( dans suggestion )

In the process we will have to decide what things will be specific to each game. This will give us all a better focus. We cannot really say "..well, we will test it and see.." for every idea that occures to us. Some things eliminate others (tile and turn systems for example each eliminate a whole set of smaller ideas when decided upon).

Also there will probably be some things that are "original ideas" that emerged to someone and they wants them to be kept in one project (I assume it may be like that with most clash well-developed models). That is good, because if we merged all our models now, what would be "the soul" of each project? It would end up as being one project in two language versions.

I am sorry I havent replied earlier, It is not because of lack of interest...I just never thought this forum will become so alive . I check civ2-MP and strategy forums usually, but this is a nice surprise. Keep talking people

Also, what is official oppinion about this?
We are occupying much space in this ACivs part of forums (even the Manifest Destiny thread that was here isnt any more). Does anyone know what do moderators of the site think about this? Do we have permission for this big "traffic" ?
Old June 18, 2000, 18:04   #14
markusf
King

There are java to C++ converters. As for the whole closed source thing, i can't think of very many poeple that would want to join a project like that. Not only that a java game is hard to install. Plus anyone who knows a thing or 2 about java will just download a decompilier and there goes all your source code.
There are java to C converters so i really don't think much code would be lost in a merger. Java is a interpeted language which means its slow as **** In terms of execution java is amoung the slowest forms of programming. Plus java uses the AWL for graphics doesn't it? C++ can use direct X..... I honestly can't understand why anyone would do a game in java, this can easilly be evidenced by the fact that no professional game is done in java.....
Old June 18, 2000, 20:08   #15
Mark_Everson

markus:

open source:
Yes, how Ever did the world manage without it... Its a wonder we could do anything at all Clash code is available to anyone now... The only difference is we have not yet committed that it will Always be available to anyone that wants it.

speed:
The hotspot compiler yields huge performance increases to Java code - well designed Java programs can now easily approach C++ code execution speed with a little thought, since Java is much easier to perform good high-level optimization on. Yes 3D graphics etc. are exceptions. We are not going to have dancing 3d units or other bullshit. That is why there are no pro Java games, they want to dazzle the masses with sexy graphics. We will give this time to the AI so that it can whip your sorry a**

One other reason to use java is we are Not professionals (all of our coders aren't pro programmers). For someone who doesn't use it every day C++ is a minefield in terms of memory leaks etc. Java protects from that.
Old June 19, 2000, 08:50   #16
amjayee
Prince

I'm sure we could cooperate with the Clash guys. At least on the design level. I haven't had much time to read the clash design things, so I can't comment much about the differences in our project. But several things that make me hesitate combining the projects right now:

1. We will absolutely use c++. The advantages are huge - partially this is because we have some professionals in our team. Java is not an option.

2. We absolutely want to keep this project completely public and free, from design to code.

If these two things can remain that way, then there's no problem... of course we would lose some time to decide what things to keep from each project, and to convert and change the code to suit the needs. But I think it would be quite difficult, and also uncomfortable for the clash guys, who have given much effort to their project.

So, to solve this, I suggest, that we continue as separate projects - there are some fundamental differences in the projects, that might make merging difficult. If the clash guys give us permission, we could use their code and desing things in our game. Is that ok? Of course we can continue discussing these things, and if we can come up with a good solution, it would be better to make one good game, than two similar and perhaps not that good games.
Old June 22, 2000, 21:39   #17
Mark_Everson

amjayee and others:

I'm still thinking about what might work... But I'm leaving for vacation tomorrow, so it will be a while before you hear from me again.

Have Fun,

Mark
Old July 1, 2000, 04:22   #18
alms66
Prince

Hi all,
I'll be responding in backwards order, since that is the eaiest way to do it on the forums. Also I'm sorry for the long post, it's just that I don't have much time to get online all-too-often anymore, and I have to say it all in one big burst.

Mark,

Hope u have a nice vacation...and don't worry too much about Clash...otherwise it won't be a real vacation...you'll still be doing work!

Amjayee,

1.) I agree completely, C++ is the way to go. But unfortunately Mark doesn't seem to agree. I wish I could convince him otherwise, but I can't think of an argument other than Java sucks and is slower than C++, and it is nothing but a script. Also since we plan to introduce a script language for scenario makers, we will have a script within a script, which really sucks and is really slow as hell, maybe you can help me in my argument here.

2.) From a post I read from Mark to F_Smith (you'd have to read the Clash forums) I don't think Mark cares too much about whether we are open source or not, so we could go open...but quite frankly, I would like to make some money off of the project since I spend nearly half of my available time (between work and school) on the project (and I'm sure some people feel this way too), though I'm not terribly opposed to going open source...because at least I get a fun, realistic game.

3.) You argue that the Clash guys have given much of their time to the project...and you are right. But we have never had many programmers, much less professional ones, like u guys, and Mark has done most of the programming, so yes we lose time, yes we lose code, but in the end you guys get much further developed an explored models and we get professional programmers...I see the trade-off as worth-while, and good for both projects, especially since they are so similar, which I can't stress enough. Also, as someone who has read nearly all posts of both projects I'd have to say there are minimal differences in the projects to reasonably combine them.

Mark and Amajayee,

Marksuf says there are programs that convert Java to C++, we could use this if nececary

All,

Also another argument for using C++ instead of Java is that Clash so far is so increadibly complex and everyone involed in the project is worryied about it's clock cycles, but C++ is a direct conversion (as I've stated before, and Marksuf agrees), to Machine Code, so it will save processor and RAM resources.

VetLegion

1.) agreed, C++ is a better waste of your time .

3.) Participating from day 1, you will be...because the ideas that you guys are bringing forth now have already been discussed to death on the Clash forum. If you bring up a point, no doubt if it hasn't been decided on already, it has been dismissed due to it's lack of flexability or something other...just bring it up again, and the reasons for deciding against it will be pointed out, or if it hasn't been discussed, believe me, the Clash people will discuss it to death.

ALL,

That is another problem I have with Clash...We discuss issues to death, but solve nothing...which is no one in particular's fault, it is just the fault of internet-based projects, and since much of this discussion has already been done, a merger of professional programmers and already discussed ideas-with the help of some new designers, seems perfect to me.

50K lines of code..., I'm sorry Mark, but I don't see how that is possible considering we only have a war-game. I don't mean to offend u, seeing as this is your initial work, but as of demo4, the economic model is completly scrapped, there is no diplomacy to speak of, and the only thing worth-while is the AI and Military stuff...so where do u get 50K lines? Unless the code is so mismanaged that we might as well start from scratch, I don't see how that much code is possible, considering what we have. I know you/we, have made leaders up to things, but isn't F_Smith turning this on it's head anyway? Isn't it easy to convert (key point there is EASY)? I don't know Java language too well, but if you told me what a Java keyword did, I could probably tell you what C++ keyword to use. So in other words, even someone like me, who can't program to save his life in OOP, can convert from language to language...it isn't that difficult.

As the Joker said," We must know that we are both Davids, where Firaxis and the others are Goliath. We have very limited ressources availible, and as we all just have the projects as a hobby we can not even use all of our time on the project. But, unlike Firaxis we have a dream. A vision. Axi pointed it out perfectly. We are visionaries. This if our advantage. Others are the open source aspect: At least for OC3 there is no real line between members of the team and those outside it. All that are interested can join, and they just have to do as little or as much as they want. If they just want to post one idea in a thread that's ok. And we are small enough to listen to all that has good ideas. But to use our force we must be large enough to do something about it. Therefor the more we are the better is our chance of succes."

I know I'm not the most diplomatic of persons (that's because I don't care what others think), and I sometimes have a hard time explaining my ideas (that's because I'm net very sociable...I generally don't get along with people less intelligent than I, which is quite a few people, not to brag , "but the world is full of stupid people" ), but I think this merger idea is self explanitory...some professional programmers, some extensively thought out ideas, and mostly usable code...though I'd change the map to LGJ's idea of a spherical map for the max-zoom-out and a square that is centered so wherever you turn the globe you get no distortion of squares/hexes, whatever, and the map won't look as crappy as Manifest Destiny's very distorted globe, even though they are doing a revolutionary thing--which I respect, the distortion still looks crappy.

Again, I'd like to appologize for the long post...I just have to make all my posts in one bundle...If you have a life, you will understand.
Old July 1, 2000, 04:54   #19
dan ward
Chieftain

Any Java to C++ conversion would be painful because there is no direct mapping from Java UI code to C++. To make this worse C++ will require significantly more code to do reach the same level as you're at now.
Old July 1, 2000, 04:56   #20
alms66
Prince

Oh, Mark, and others,

one other reason to switch to C++:

If you remember Mark, I said I would ask a friend to talk to some programmers on MIRC to see if they were intrested in joining...and they were, they were all ready to sign up, asking for the web page and all...then my friend said, "oh, btw, they are coding in Java, you guys don't mind, do you?"...so they not only kicked him from the channel, but banned him from going back!!!!

To me that says they know something I don't, and even I know C++ is better than Java...so, I ask you Mark, what is it that you are so unwilling to give up JAVA for? is it because you've done so much programming and you want to continue to write so much more code, but don't want to learn C++? is it because you think that we can't benefit from professional programmers? is it because...I don't know what else you could be thinking...I can't foresee any problems other than a month or two while people get aquainted...which IMO, will be wasted on discussing issues to death anyway, and we won't get anything accomplished, but at least with the new blood of designers, we'll get further on model design, not to mention professional programmers can do alot more in their spare time than amatuers, and you've always said you did too much programming...If we combined, you would be freed from that, and would be able to oversee the programming and design, since OC3 has no "official" leader you could be the project leader still.
Old July 1, 2000, 05:00   #21
alms66
Prince

Dan Ward,

I personally don't care...Java sucks!!!, I cannot stress THAT enough. If it means rewriting the code...so be it. There are so many improvements we can make already...and we don't even have a beta version...many Clash designers have expressed this opinion, especially about the map (which if we change the code for the map, it will undoubtedly make most of the current code obsolete anyway).
[This message has been edited by Toubabo_Koomi (edited July 01, 2000).]
Old July 1, 2000, 06:47   #22
The Joker
Prince

I still agree with Toubabo. If we could make this work it would rock!

About making money on the project:
If we ever manage to make a good game we can make money on it, no matter if it's free or open. Napster has never made any money what so ever, and it is still worth millions.

A banner or two at our homepage could be a reasonable income. That is how Yahoo and all the other internet companies make their money. But let's concentrate on making a good game first.

Also, those programmers you were talking about Toubabo, would they by any chance be interested in joining OC3?
Old July 1, 2000, 13:29   #23
dan ward
Chieftain

The big problem with that is how do you divide up the profits?

Toubabo:
Changing the language will not make things better you'll just have a different set of problems. As Fred Brooks would say 'there is no silver bullet'.

I wouldn't place any importance on your 'coders on mirc' story, any competent C++ programmer has a healhty respect for Java.

[This message has been edited by dan ward (edited July 01, 2000).]
Old July 1, 2000, 22:58   #24
alms66
Prince

double post
[This message has been edited by Toubabo_Koomi (edited July 01, 2000).]
Old July 1, 2000, 23:03   #25
alms66
Prince

Joker,

That sounds like a good way to make money.

And I didn't actually talk to the programmers myself, a friend of mine did. Just get on Mirc and go to any of the Programming channels and ask around, I'm sure there would be some willing to join OC3.

Dan,

I have the problem solved already with how to divide profits...but it's a long file, so I won't post it, just letting you know it's solved.

Java is ok for small games or internet stuff, but for Clash, C++ would be better (...it is faster), because Clash will be a *BIG* game.
Old July 3, 2000, 11:04   #26
amjayee
Prince

Toubado, thanks for your concern in this matter. In your messages, you have pointed out many good reasons for our projects to merge. Here are some of my thoughts.

I think we could greatly benefit from the merging, if these conditions could be met:

-the project would be completely public, like OC3, and the game would be completely open-source. No money would be collected (except if someone wants to make cd's of it and sell them. ) Dividing the money would result in the project turning into a clash of developers. And, it would ruin the ideology of openness.

-We would preserve the Openciv3 ideology, not making a clone of civ or civ2, but rather a new game, our vision of perfect civ-style game, our vision of what civ3 should be like.

-We would program in c++. This would mean re-writing most of the code done so far - as Dan pointed out, converting is difficult, and would result in inefficient code. We would need to re-design the program architecture. But, not all your work would be in vain, you have discovered some solutions that would work as well in the new program, just writing them in c++, and possibly fine-tuning.

-We would re-make the gameplay design; we would not scrap the already done work on either one of the projects, but we read all the texts made, and argue on them, until we have made a succesful combination of them.

-We would remain free; there would not be an official leader of the project, who says this and it is made so. All decisions need to be argumented in forums, publicly. This slows down the process, but results in much better system, since more people can come about more ideas, and the more ideas, the more good ideas, usually. Mark has been the leader of Clash project; I have been the "unofficial design discussion supervisor/moderator" of Openciv3. I could share that responsibility with Mark, and we would share some responsibility to the people particularly interested in some game area.

If we do this, we would lose something. But I think the gains would be much larger. Together we could make a kick-ass game, but some sacrifices would be needed, especially from the clash guys. But believe me, all that would be got back, even multiplied.

About the name of the game, I think we could have two options: we could use the name Clash of Civilizations, which is a very good name. Or, we could use a project name, like Openciv3, or other, and decide the name later.

Well, what do you say? This is a hard decision for Clash guys, but believe me, you wouldn't want to make a game this complex with Java. If you can agree on the conditions above, we could have some future. But these are my thoughts. Personally, I couldn't think of combining the projects, if the ideology behind our project is changed. And no one can make me program a full-featured computer game in Java. Please make your further suggestions. If we can reach an agreement, it could be great.
[This message has been edited by amjayee (edited July 03, 2000).]
Old July 3, 2000, 21:42   #27
alms66
Prince

Amjayee,

You said everything perfectly in your last post! I do definately agree to all the terms you posted, it's basically what I've agrueed all along. I was getting rather ticked that noone else seemed to see the benefits would be greater than the loses, but I'm happy now. But I still think we've got alot of work cut out for us to convince Mark, and possibly others that this is the right course of action.
Old July 4, 2000, 09:28   #28
amjayee
Prince

That's good to hear. Try to get some other clash team members - Mark especially - to read my thoughts and comment them. Also OC3 guys, comments please.
Old July 4, 2000, 20:36   #29
heardie
Prince

Local Time: 20:34
I dont minnd as llong as we can use amjayee's cool map!
Old July 5, 2000, 02:29   #30
roquijad
Prince

Hi all,

I'm the guy in charge of the govt, social and riots models in Clash. I have read almost nothing about OC3, so I'm going to trust in Toubabo when he says both projects are very similar. Assuming this as true, here are my thoughts on "amjayee's demands":

-the project would be completely public...
>>I'd prefer to have profits from this, but, well, I can accept it.

-We would preserve the Openciv3 ideology, not making a clone of civ or civ2, but rather a new game, our vision of perfect civ-style game
>>I'm assuming OC3 and Clash have the same ideology, as Toubabo said, so this shouldn't be a problem.

-We would program in c++.
>>I don't write code or know anything about the issue. Whatever you computer gurus decide is alright with me.

-We would re-make the gameplay design; [...] we read all the texts made, and argue on them, until we have made a succesful combination of them.
>>Of course.

-We would remain free; there would not be an official leader of the project...
>>No. A boss is needed. There're times when decitions must be taken. I don't like discussions lasting months for every single thing and when nobody has the authority to end'em, it's IMO a pain in the ass. A boss is needed and model dukes are needed. That's essential IMO for keeping a project from taking too much time.

As a general idea, merging Clash and OC3 sounds good as long as the merged project keeps the goal of creating a game about civilizations, where war is not the center of it all (as it is IMO in MPS' civ) and where you're challenged to deal with a rich and complex world, with things like social transformations and autonomous economy and trade.