Old June 13, 2000, 09:34   #1
Guildmaster
Warlord

Local Time: 09:34
Local Date: October 31, 2010
Who are you guys?
I don't even know who you guys are or where you're from or what you do or whatever. I think it might help some if we all put a little thing here to describe ourselves. okay?

My name is Michael, I'm 24 years old and I live in Gainesville, FL in the United States. I work in advertising for a company that makes the best home water treatment system in the world. I first started playing Civ like games back when they were all text-based for the origional IBM PCs aka. as long as I can remember. I had an Amiga which I played the origional "Civilization" by Sid Meyer and was hooked. Immediately I thought of ways to improve it. Then I graduated to Civ2 and CTP (which I no longer have) and now I'm playing Test of Time. I have always wanted to be part of a design team for such games.
Old June 13, 2000, 10:54   #2
Maniac
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameC4DG Team Alpha CentauriansACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessACDG Planet University of TechnologyPolyCast TeamACDG3 Spartans

Local Time: 11:34
My name is Peter Steenbeke. I'm 16 years old and I hope you don't have prejudices like "He's young, so he doesn't know what he's talking about" or "Age is correlated with wisdom." I live with my parents (what limits my internet access) in Oosteeklo, near Ghent (in the Middle Ages the biggest city above the Alpes, besides Paris) in Belgium. That's some tiny little country in Europe in case you wouldn't know it. Its capital is Brussels (more familiar?). I'm a student Latin-Sciences in the middle of my exams. Tomorrow I have English. Very simple in my opinion (what do you guys think of my English?; please correct every mistake I make), so today I permit myself to internet a bit before starting to learn. I first played CivI five years back (an illegal copy ) and was hooked. As a consequence I bought Civ2, CiC, FW, SMAC and SMAX. Not Test of Time; my wallet is not inexhaustible. Together with AoE these are the only (legal) games I have.
I didn't immediately think of improvements to the game. But the game inspired an interest in history. And I guess, as a consequence of that knowledge, I saw how inaccurate the game was, so I dreamed of improvement. You could say it's a kind of feedback-loop. So I started blurting out my ideas (which I always try to think out very constructive and detailed before posting) in the Civ3 forum, but Firaxis didn't give response to all these ideas posted by so many fans. I don't think they will use many in Civ3. So I went into a lurker status. And now I have come out again! I hope it will be better this time, though I have my doubts how you guys would want to design a game if you hardle have programmers. That's about it.

(I can also give a psychological profile if you want)
Old June 13, 2000, 16:41   #3
amjayee
Prince

My name is Matti, I'm 20 and live in Laukaa, Finland. Nothing big to say about my hometown, it's a small place with 17000 people living in a large land area. The largest thing anyone from Laukaa has accomplished is the quadruple rally championship by Juha Kankkunen.

Finland is the large country in the north with very few people, but that is the world leader in telecommunications; 70 percent of people have a mobile phone, and we have most internet connections in the world per 1000 people. I'm proud.

Civilization 1 was one of the first computer games I have played. Also I acquired an illegal copy from my friend. Civ1 and 2 I have played very much. Later, I have played many strategy games, and some adventure games. Most games I have bought and paid for. Today, I play very little - Age of Empires 2 is the latest.

Currently I work as a 3d modeler and -programmer in a small finnish architect company. In autumn, I will start studying information technology, and become a real programmer. Today, programming is a hobby for me.

Also I have always wanted to make the games I have played better, especially civ2, so this project is the hobby of my dreams. I can program, but I'm also interested in idea-making and design, so it has been quite natural to act as a link between the programmers and idea-makers/designers.

M@ni@c, don't worry about us prejudicing you since you are young. If you produce good ideas (that you really do) you have earned your place in this group. You were also worried of us having enough programmers - currently the programmer status is good, we have six eager young programmers, who are civ game enthusiasts signed in, and the coding is proceeding well. And Guildmaster, I think this thread was a very good idea.

[This message has been edited by amjayee (edited June 13, 2000).]
Old June 13, 2000, 17:16   #4
onepaul

onepaul; webmaster, student, programmer, gamer, only human...

Old June 16, 2000, 22:56   #5
Guildmaster
Warlord

Anyone else?
Old June 17, 2000, 09:42   #6
The Joker
Prince

Great idea!

My name is Bjarke Staun-Olsen. I am 18 years old, and finished highschool within the last week. My exams and such was what has kept me from posting very much here in the last month or so.

Next year I will start working for about six months, and next winter I am going skiing in France for 2 months or so. The year after I will begin studying economics at the University of Copenhagen.

I never played Civ1. One of my friends had an illegal copy of the game which I saw (back in those good old Amiga days), but I never really played it. When Civ2 came out I bought it, and next to Monkey Island it has undoubtably been the best game I have ever played. Where all other games tire you out after a few months Civ2 has been playable for years.

Untill Korn (BTW: Is he still a part of the team?) began talking about making our own Civ game I had never really thought about doing such. But after joining the project I have realized that it is actually a really fun hobby. I have always thought of ways to improve Civ2, and it is great to finally be able to do something about it.

Last edited by Robert Plomp; August 11, 2010 at 15:51.
Old June 18, 2000, 00:12   #7
Victor Galis
Emperor

Local Time: 05:34
My name is Victor Galis (obvious isn't it?). I'm 16 and in high school, but taking a programming class at Stanford for the summer. My programming skills aren't too good, but my main interest is to see a better civ-like game out there, one that blows Firaxis's away. From the design side I am mainly interested in units and combat since those are the topics I ended up serving as threadmaster on at various points in the list. I edited Combat version 1, of The List, which got sent to Firaxis, and which is still buried on this forum and somewhere on my website.
Old September 1, 2000, 15:02   #8
korn469
Emperor

Local Time: 04:34
Hi, my name is Leejay and i'm 23 and live in a small town in southwestern Virginia, USA...most of the people in Virginia don't even know where that is, but it's close to Tennesse (30 minute drive), West Virginia (1 hour drive), kentucky (1 hour drive), and north carolina (1.5 hour drive)...for those of you who are wondering its about a 6-8 hour drive to D.C.

i have been playing games all of my life and i have been playing computer games ever since i got my nintendo for my 10th birthday way back in 1987...

one of my all time favorite games is Ghengis Khan for the nintendo, i'm not sure how many of you have played it but it was quite good...my favorite games of today are, starcraft/broodwar, SMAC, diablo2, civ2

i love music also...some of my favorite bands are koRn (obviously), deftones, underworld, the urge, rage against the machine, orgy, fluke, PM5k, unsane and lots of others

i'm a vegetarian and i like soccer...here are a few pictures of me

me at New Years 2000
me at halloween 1998

korn469

p.s. found one more

me at New Years looking stupid
[This message has been edited by korn469 (edited September 01, 2000).]
Old September 7, 2000, 16:31   #9
ElmoTheElk
Prince

Local Time: 10:34
ElmoTheElk, Eric Kok, The Netherlands, Leiden. I'm 18 years old now and just finished high school. Next year I'm going to study Informationproviding and Informationtechnologie (Computer-business related).

My nick is from a cartoon figure from the tv-cartoon Eek! the Cat. You can see the little fella on my personal (very quick build) website at http://elmo.theelk.com/
Old September 11, 2000, 14:25   #10
ZipperEd
Settler

My name is Ed (the Zipper part is me on my motorcycle), I live in the northern end of New Hampshire in the States -- more moose than people here. I started playing Civ on the Amiga, also, and probably bought my first PC just so I could play Civ2. Sick... Still playing Civ2, but enjoy SMAC and SMACX (even with the Terranx. exe bug which keeps me from even finishing a game). Thinking about installing Linux on my PC, but only if I can get Civ2 or newer on as well. Gotta go stack some firewood and feed the huskies!
Old September 11, 2000, 19:32   #11
onepaul

omfg, Korn is a vampire, look at their eyes...

Old September 12, 2000, 02:04   #12
amjayee
Prince

Korn vampire?? Eek!

Zipper: yeah, here in Finland we also have moose, reindeers and polar bears roaming the streets. Well, not. Really.
Old September 12, 2000, 07:01   #13
ElmoTheElk
Prince

Local Time: 10:34
It looks that all civ-lovers come from cold(er) regions from this world... :-)
Old September 13, 2000, 00:38   #14
Guildmaster
Warlord

Hmm no, Florida is actually quite warm up until winter when it cools off to about 10-20 or so (C)

------------------
Peace and trust can win the day despite all your losing
-Led Zepplin