Old November 24, 2000, 12:01   #1
Tootool22
Settler

Local Time: 09:41
Local Date: October 31, 2010
I need your guys help on adding advances, please
Last night I started adding a new advance, Oligargy. Now that was easy enough I just edited the advance file, but then I got to the tricky stuff, I tryed to add it to the great library, so that I could get a gameplay explanation and historical and such, so I edited the great libraby file then I add to a string file ICON_ADVANCE_OLIGARGY and when ever I start CTP II i get this error that says ICON_ADVANCE_OLIGARGY not found in string file, does anyone know what this means, if you do PLEASE reply as soon as you can.
Thank you

P.S. If I can get this working Im going to post a newa advance&gov over the fourms here!
Old November 24, 2000, 12:38   #2
Al'Kimiya
Chieftain

Local Time: 10:41
quote:

I edited the great libraby file then I add to a string file ICON_ADVANCE_OLIGARGY and when ever I start CTP II i get this error that says ICON_ADVANCE_OLIGARGY not found in string file, does anyone know what this means, if you do PLEASE reply as soon as you can.

Check out the file advanceicon.txt (in ctp2_data\default\gamedata) and add a row there for Oligargy.
Old November 24, 2000, 12:45   #3
Tootool22
Settler

I did add a line there and it still doesnt work! Im not sure what Im missing, maybe I added it to the wrong area of that file?
Old November 24, 2000, 15:09   #4
Al'Kimiya
Chieftain

Local Time: 10:41
quote:

Originally posted by Tootool22 on 11-24-2000 11:45 AM
I did add a line there and it still doesnt work! Im not sure what Im missing, maybe I added it to the wrong area of that file?

Hmm.. maybe the number (#105 in mine) at the top of the file has to be increased as well.
Old November 24, 2000, 15:15   #5
Elucidus
C4WDG United Dungeon DwellersC4WDG StrategaC4WDG Huygen's UnionC4WDG Spamyard TeamC4WDG éirich tuireannC4WDG The GooniesC4WDG People's Army of the LadderC4WDG Calysium
Prince

Local Time: 03:41
First I have been messing around with the files. I hope this is a complete listing. This is for making a complete addition and not just a function one, you know with great library info and all.

For one, if you want the computer to be able to use it, there are a few files you need to edit in ctp2_data\default\aidata. I believe AdvanceLists.txt and Strategies.txt
And in ctp2_data\default\gamedata... You've added it to Advance.txt and AdvanceIcon.txt, you've said that. I imagine you've added it to Govern.txt and GovernIcon.txt as well. What about UnitIcon.txt? I don't know if this is mandatory, but other governments appear in it. They appear in ldl_str.txt as well. In Dip2_str.txt you can add what the game will tell you (advice) about the government. Don't forget to define it in gl_str.txt as both an advance and a government. You said you did the great_library.txt, so that's all good. I hope this helps you at least a little bit. Let me know how it goes.

------------------
Yours in gaming,
~Elucidus
Old November 24, 2000, 15:33   #6
Locutus
Apolytoners Hall of FameCiv4 SP Democracy GameCiv4 InterSite DG: Apolyton TeamBtS Tri-LeagueC4BtSDG TemplarsC4WDG Team ApolytonCivilization IV CreatorsCTP2 Source Code ProjectPolyCast Team
Deity

Local Time: 11:41
Hell, I wrote a step-by-step guide to add units and one for governments, might as well make one for advances I'll have to do that tomorrow though, I have a life too you know But I think Elucidus mentioned all the files you'll need, from the sound of it the problem is in uniticon.txt.
[This message has been edited by Locutus (edited November 24, 2000).]
Old November 24, 2000, 22:12   #7
Rollo Tomasi
Chieftain

I think you are trying to add in Oligarchy, correct? Just wanted you to know the correct spelling of the word (o-l-i-g-a-r-c-h-y)
Old November 25, 2000, 11:02   #8
Elucidus
C4WDG United Dungeon DwellersC4WDG StrategaC4WDG Huygen's UnionC4WDG Spamyard TeamC4WDG éirich tuireannC4WDG The GooniesC4WDG People's Army of the LadderC4WDG Calysium
Prince

Local Time: 03:41
Here's little tip. If you don't know what files to edit, you can simply do a text search for something similar to what you want to add (if you're adding a government search for an existing government, like democracy). It will usually give you more files that you need to change, but that is better than not enough.
The files I am pretty sure you can ignore (so far) are-

File File to Use Instead
ImproveIcon.txt UnitIcon.txt
SpriteID.txt NewSpriteID.txt
WonderIcon.txt UnitIcon.txt

I think that's all, if not sorry I missed 'em. I hope this helps out.

------------------
Yours in gaming,
~Elucidus
Old November 25, 2000, 15:48   #9
Tootool22
Settler

Thanks alot for your guys help I couldn't quite figure it out but what I did instead was make a compromise with the game and added my desription of Oligarchy to the Trade desription, not as good if as if it were by itself but still okay.

I'll keep you guys posted, I have one more question but Im posting it under a different header:
PLEASE HELP ME OUT, I NEED TO ADD A GOVERNMENT

Thank you for your help