Old December 1, 2000, 21:30   #1
MrFun
Emperor

Local Time: 04:42
Local Date: October 31, 2010
Basic Modifications List
Here are the basic modifications I have made and I hope to add a new unit or two once I learn how others succeeded in doing so. And hopefully I'll be able to play CTP II once I find the solution to the "Ruin Bug".

Anyways, here is basic modifications list.

UNITS

Abolitionist - changed its enable advance from Classical Education to Age of Reason and changed its obsolete advance from none to Oil Refining (this does not make sense but I just can't stand having useless Abolitionists available after Emancipation Act is completed)

Archer - changed its obsolete advance from Cannon Making to Gunpowder (minor change)

Battleship - changed its movement points from 5 to 6 and changed its obsolete advance from none to Plasma Weaponry

Cannon - changed its obsolete advance from Cybernetics to Explosives

Carrack - changed its attack from 0 to 10 and changed its obsolete advance from Internal Combustion to Naval Tactics

Catapult - changed its obsolete advance from Explosives to Cannon Making

Cavalry - changed its obsolete advance from Fusion to Tank Warfare

Coracle - changed its attack from 0 to 10

Destroyer - changed its obsolete advance from Plasma Weaponry to Ultra Pressure Machinery

Diplomat - changed its enable advance from Bureaucracy to Writing and changed its movement points from 1 to 2

Fire Tireme - changed its obsolete advance from Modern Metallurgy to Gunpowder

Hoplite - changed its obsolete advance from Gunpowder to Feudalism

Hover Infantry - changed its attack from 80 to 65 (how could it be more powerful than the Fusion Tank?) and changed its defense from 50 to 40

Ironclad - changed its bombardment abilities from none to ability to bombard land (but not mountains) and bombard water

Knight - changed its obsolete advance from Tank Warfare to Cavalry Tactics

Longship - changed its attack from 0 to 10 and its defense from 10 to 5 and changed its obsolete advance from Internal Combustion to Naval Tactics

Machine Gunner - changed its enable advance from Industrial Revolution to Mass Production and changed its defense from 30 to 40

Mounted Archer - changed its obsolete advance from Tank Warfare to Gunpowder

Pikeman - changed its obsolete advance from Fascism to Cavalry Tactics

PT Boat - changed its attack from 50 to 55 and its defense from 40 to 30 and changed its obsolete advance from Plasma Weaponry to Guided Weapon Systems

Samurai - changed its obsolete advance from Industrial Revolution to Gunpowder

Ship of the Line - changed its obsolete advance from Mass Production to Internal Combustion (minor change) and changed its bombardment ability to land (no mountains) and water - also changed its transportation ability from 0 capacity to 3 units capacity

Troop Ship - changed its defense from 10 to 15

Urban Planner - changed its enable advance from Adv. Urban Planning to Explosives

Warrior - changed its obsolete advance from Gunpowder to Monarchy

BUILDINGS

Factory - changed its production bonus from +15% to +25%

Robotic Plant - changed its production bonus from +15% to +25%

WONDERS

Chichen Itza - changed its obsolete advance from none to Age of Reason and increased its crime reduction from -30% to -50%

Emancipation Act - changed its enable advance from Age of Reason to Industrial Revolution

Great Wall - changed its military readiness cost reduction from -25% to -75%

London Exchange - changed its brokerage bonus from +50% to +100%

Penicillin - changed its civilization happiness bonus from +0 to +5 (keeping the growth bonus with it)

ADVANCES

Communism - changed its pre-required advances from Banking and Industrial Revolution to Economics and Industrial Revolution (minor change)

Fascism - changed its pre-required advances from Theology and Gunpowder to Industrial Revolution and Mass Media

TERRAIN

Beach - increased food amount from 10 to 15

Continental Shelf - increased food amount from 5 to 10 and increased shield amount from 10 to 15

Coral Reefs - increased gold amount from 5 to 10

Deep Water - increased shield amount from 10 to 15

Desert - increased food amount from 0 to 5 and increased shield amount from 0 to 5

Desert Hill - increased food amount from 0 to 5

Desert Mountain - increased shield amount from 10 to 15

Forest - increased shield amount from 5 to 15

Glacier - increased shield amount from 0 to 5

Hill - increased shield amount from 10 to 15

Jungle - increased food amount from 5 to 10 and increased shield amount from 10 to 15

Kelp Bed - increased food amount from 15 to 20

Mountain - increased shield amount from 15 to 20

Shallow Water - increased food amount from 10 to 15

Tundra - increased food amount from 0 to 5

These are all the basic modifications I have made thus far. The ones that are not listed in each category are ones which I did not modify. Government and Tile Improvement are two categories I left unmodified completely.

Please let me know what you think about these modifications. Anything I should correct or that you particularly liked or hated which I did? thanks

Old December 1, 2000, 22:21   #2
Matte979
Warlord

Local Time: 09:42
Good, got about the same adjustment myself.

I removed the production bouses from shore though.

Also one thing that i really don't like is the mines that the AI seems to place on plains after i remove the production from shore. Will probly not allow mines on plains. And get the AI to build forests instead.

Will do alot of AI tweaking this weekend. Damn I need to get them to attack like crazy if there are militarist. And defend great when scientist. And if i get the AI to make an alliance between each other i would be a happy camper.

/Mathias
Old December 1, 2000, 23:41   #3
marc420
Warlord

Just started reading this, but let me ask the first question that comes to mind.

Why push back the arrival of the Abolitionist unit?

You now require four more advances till players can get it. And this makes them show up right before someone builds the wonder that ends slavery. Seems to make the unit rather worthless.

Just for the record, there was an abolitionist movement in both the US and Britain well in advance of the Civil War and the Emancipation Proclamation.

marc
Old December 2, 2000, 01:41   #4
MrFun
Emperor

Local Time: 04:42
Of course - I knew that abolitionists existed for about 80 years before 1863. But below are two facts why I changed this, in spite of the short life of the abolitionist unit in terms of game play.

The fact that abolitionists did not exist in ancient times and formed organizations only in the modern world of the 18th century.

The fact that Emancipation Proclamation did not occur until 1830s for Great Britain and until 1863 in the United States. This was from the pressures of the Industrial Revolution's system of labor - not from the Enligthenment itself.
[This message has been edited by MrFun (edited December 02, 2000).]
Old December 2, 2000, 01:47   #5
Diodorus Sicilus
Warlord

Hummm.. We're actually making changes in slightly different directions (see my post in another thread). I've reduced most of the Food production for basic tiles, but increased the + factors for PW improvements. So far, in one test game that hasn't quite reached Gunpowder stage yet, this has had my desired effect, to slow down the rampant growth of mega-cities everywhere, and make well-supported cities mandatory for good growth in the late-early and mid-game.
Rather than 'tweak' the Tech Tree, my next project will be a complete revision of the Advances, at least the first half of the tree up to the beginning of the Modern (or the added Industrial) era. In a half-dozen test games, Gunpowder and even Fuedalism come way, way too fast. Both the AIs and I were building Infantry/Musketeers in 800 - 500 BC, or about 2000 years too soon! I want to add advances to support another "row" of early units and to slow down the advent of Gunpowder and major Industrialization by about 50%. This is probably going to require both another 8 - 12 Advances before the end of the Renaissance and increasing the cost of some of the individual Advances. Unfortunately, I work all this weekend, but I've got some time off early next week: hope to get the draft revised Tech tree implemented for test by then, and I'll post it and let you'all know how it works in a test game...