Old December 10, 2000, 12:39   #1
wysiwyg
Chieftain

Local Time: 09:43
Local Date: October 31, 2010
Play problems with gigantic maps
I changed the gigantic map size to 210x420 and it generates a good looking map to play on. The problems I have are with gameplay. Specifically:

- The computer civs never build roads. They build farms, mines, nets, etc but no roads. I suspect there is an algorithm that determines if two cities are close enough to bother with a road and that this algorithm uses the total map size to calculate a number that is compared with a threshold value.

- Unit movement rates are too small; i.e. your nukes are now rather short ranged. Obviously, it is possible to change movement rates if you plan to always play with an extra large map.

- Because the map is so large there are many more ruins; too many ruins means you'll probably still be finding them in the Diamond age. It's a bit silly to be discovering chaos theory or a leviathon unit in the ruins. It think doubling RUINS_BOX_WIDTH and RUINS_BOX_HEIGHT would be appropriate to reduce the number of ruins if they are used.

- Building the GlobeSat wonder is a bit much when you have many civs. I turned off "show enemy movements" and this seems fine.

Does anyone know if values used by the AI when deciding to build roads are stored in a text file? This looks to be the only problem I don't see a solution for.

I see MAX_RUINS_ADVANCE (10) and MAX_RUINS_UNIT (30) in const.txt but both units.txt and advance.txt are alphabetical so has anyone tried changing these yet?
Old December 10, 2000, 14:02   #2
skorpion59
Prince

Local Time: 03:43
Maps which are bigger than the default ones will always introduce erratic gameplay. A 'Big Map' mod could help some but it won't do away with all of them.
Old December 10, 2000, 15:29   #3
wysiwyg
Chieftain

How big is too big?

quote:

Originally posted by skorpion59 on 12-10-2000 01:02 PM
Maps which are bigger than the default ones will always introduce erratic gameplay. A 'Big Map' mod could help some but it won't do away with all of them.

Old December 10, 2000, 16:52   #4
EdCase
GalCiv Apolyton Empire
Prince

Since I have been working away on tweaking the random map generation to make it generate "better" looking maps on a grander scale scale...just let me say 210x420 is too big (my opinion) I am finding anything above 150 X 300 becomes tedious even with civs set a32...increasing movement rates etc...sure you can do it...but.....

Essentially your just eating memory to give you the same game...tripe map size...triple movement kinda cancels each other out

The above staments are purely the opinion of the author and in no way reflect any remotely sane

------------------
I'm not paranoid I KNOW they're watching me
EdCase
Old December 10, 2000, 16:55   #5
EdCase
GalCiv Apolyton Empire
Prince

quote:

Originally posted by EdCase on 12-10-2000 03:52 PM
Since I have been working away on tweaking the random map generation to make it generate "better" looking maps on a grander scale scale...just let me say 210x420 is too big (my opinion) I am finding anything above 150 X 300 becomes tedious even with civs set a32...increasing movement rates etc...sure you can do it...but.....

Essentially your just eating memory to give you the same game...triple map size...triple movement kinda cancels each other out

The above staments are purely the opinion of the author and in no way resemble logical thought processes

Old December 12, 2000, 01:17   #6
wysiwyg
Chieftain

Memory I've got but I see the point after playing a game with 210x420. You can go the entire game without meeting one of the civs. I built GlobeSat and there was Korea at the south end of the map who had never encountered any other civilization. Do the AI civs build roads with 150x300?

quote:

Originally posted by EdCase on 12-10-2000 03:52 PM
Essentially your just eating memory to give you the same game...tripe map size...triple movement kinda cancels each other out