Old December 16, 2000, 16:46   #1
Savant
Warlord

Local Time: 04:45
Local Date: October 31, 2010
Some help with scenario-making?
OK, so I have this saved game see and my \gamedata files are modified a bit from the original. So, I guess I need to make a scenario instead of just a "saved game" for others to be able to play.

Problem is, when I have saved it as a scenario (and I do exit completely) I can't get past the second scenario screen. The first one comes up OK and i click on it and then the next screen asks to choose the scenario and it's blank... no scenarios are listed.

What am I doing wrong?

------------------
'Blood will run'
Old December 16, 2000, 16:53   #2
OmniGod
Civilization IV CreatorsCiv4 SP Democracy Game
Prince

When saving the scenario, CTP gives you one screen and you fill in the information for what the highest directory will be... then you click ok... and then you have to select the actual scenario directory... so say the highest is European Scenario.. then the next window you make it Gigantic European Scenario 1750 to whatever... just something... then save it there... when you exit check the Scenario directory to make sure that you have higher directory name/scenario name listed in the Scenarios directory.. if not the you didn't save it properly... other than that there should be nothing wrong.. if you can load the other scenarios (nuclear, samurai...) then it's saving thats your problem...

Omni
Old December 16, 2000, 16:57   #3
Savant
Warlord

Thanks Omni! I'll try that, because yes, all the other scenarios that came with the game work fine.

------------------
'Blood will run'
Old December 16, 2000, 17:14   #4
Savant
Warlord

It must be a save problem.

When I go to save, I get the first screen you describe.. with the entries and then the description of the scenario and then click "OK".

Well, then it doesn't come up with another screen other than one for _another_ scenario I might want to save.

So, I lookd at the directory, it is in the scenario directory (where it belongs ...\scenarios\1750) but only the one file - "packlist" is there. There are no other files in this directory. The other scenarios that came with the game have all these other files so I know something is amiss here. But the saving procedure has me screwed up. I just don't get that second save screen you described.

------------------
'Blood will run'
Old December 16, 2000, 17:32   #5
OmniGod
Prince

It's the second screen where you actually save your scenario... the first is for making a general category of saved games... multiple scenarios for the same map say...

Omni
Old December 16, 2000, 23:10   #6
marc420
Warlord

Local Time: 09:45
Hmmm, I think I've been stuck at the same place.

I press the SAVE SCENARIO button.

From there I get a Screen with Back, New and OK buttons. Here I can enter the name of a directory that gets created under the Scenarios directory.

Then the next screen comes up blank. There is a Back and a New button, as well as a disabled Save button. I can press New and give it a name, but nothing happens. Nothing gets loaded into the list that I can then select and press save.

Oh well, until I saw this thread I'd kinda shrugged it off as something I'd have to wait until someone posted some of the tips and downloads for doing Mods in CTP2.
Old December 16, 2000, 23:13   #7
OmniGod
Prince

Yeah... that is strange... what makes your system unique? I think everyone else when they create a new directory twice... then the save lights up... hmmmm puzzling..

Omni
[This message has been edited by OmniGod (edited December 16, 2000).]
Old December 16, 2000, 23:27   #8
Savant
Warlord

OK! I got it to work. It's a bit counterintuitive.

After you save the scenario with the menu that asks for three entries and click OK, you then return to the same screen. It can fool ya here... ya have to then click on the icon of the scenario you just made and then click on "New" _again_ and you get prompted with another menu with just two entries. When you complete this menu you then click ok and it returns to what looks like the same screen, giving the appearance (again) that nothing has happened but it has! The "Save" button should be lit up so click on that. Then, just click "back" at this point, exit the game and then start your scenario like any other. I suppose folks got tired of writing code and so they forgot to type in proper text prompts!

Anyway, one problem I still have is with the start date. It is set at 1750 in the game but when it loads the scenario, it comes up as 1925!! What is with that?

So now I have a scenario based on 1750 that starts in 1925. I don't know whether Omni is up to gathering scenario downloads, seems a bit much to ask. If I can get it up somewhere ... um, I mean, if it can be posted somewhere, I'll attach a readme and post the readme in this forum under a new topic inviting comments and whathaveyous (that ought to be a word).

------------------
'Blood will run'
[This message has been edited by Savant (edited December 16, 2000).]
Old December 17, 2000, 00:23   #9
OmniGod
Prince

Omni takes all comers... scenario you say... pass it along and it will find it's proper home... don't forget to mail markg a copy for apolyton to have when he gets the ddl site up and running.

Omni - anticipating your completed works
Old December 17, 2000, 05:55   #10
Harlan
Apolytoners Hall of Fame

Local Time: 01:45
Savant,
The problem you mention, about having to save scenarios twice for no reason whatsoever, drove me completely bonkers while I was making the Alexander scenario. A couple of weeks went by when I couldn't do anything to the scenario cos I couldn't figure out how to save, and there was no else I could ask about it, except the people at Activision, who just said save the dang scenario already.

I was SOOOO frustrated about that- I just had to get that off my chest. Finally I figured it out, of course, or the scenario wouldn't be here.
Old December 18, 2000, 01:26   #11
marc420
Warlord

Local Time: 09:45
Thanks!!!!

Something finally worked. Although its such a weird process that I'm still not sure I could repeat it to anyone else. If I tried here I'd confuse anyone who follows even worse.

But thanks very much for the help. That at least should give me a starting place where I can play around with files for in my scenario without messing up my game files.

Thanks,
marc