Old December 19, 2000, 16:52   #1
Martock
Warlord

Local Time: 04:45
Local Date: October 31, 2010
Sound files...how do u edit them??
i've grown tired of the passing gas nuke and several other sounds so i decided to surf the net and get some other sounds. didn't take very long to find what i wanted but when i went into the sounds folders, there are no wave files or the like...just one large, compressed file. any ideas on how i can OPEN this and put in some better sounds?? i'd like to use some of the old sounds from CTP1 especially the cleric and televangelist sounds as well since the CTP2 ones have been made bland.
Old December 19, 2000, 17:11   #2
OmniGod
Civilization IV CreatorsCiv4 SP Democracy Game
Prince

From the experience that I've had it's not that hard. It's a combination of changing two files(if your adding sounds to a new unit) or just a single if you're changing sounds for a pre-existing unit. For the preexisting case, you just have to open sounds.txt in the ctp2_data\default\gamedata and find the sound listing that you want. Say for your example of the nuclear strike explosion you would look for

SOUND_ATTACK_NUKE "ALOCKON1.WAV"

Change the file in brackets to whatever the wav file is that you want to replace it with.

SOUND_ATTACK_NUKE "NOT_SO_WEAK.WAV"

Then you have to place the wav file in the ctp_data\default\sound folder. Et voila. You should have a new sound. Anyone care to correct anything that I've written please do but I believe that's all you have to do. I haven't had to just yet, but will in the next few days.

Omni
Old December 19, 2000, 18:11   #3
Martock
Warlord

Omni, i'll give that a whirl when i get home but i don't know if it'll work. the reason i say so is that in the sounds folder there is a 22 mb file that is more than likely all the sounds compressed. i'll see if your idea works (i hope so!!).
thanks
Old December 19, 2000, 20:44   #4
Martock
Warlord

well i tried that but nothing doing. i switched the line:
SOUND_DEATH_NUKE "VNUKEBOOM1.WAV"
with:
SOUND_DEATH_NUKE "Nukeboom.WAV"

and then copied the wave file into:
CTP2_data\default\sound & CTP2_data\english\sound
directories but no change. still have the farting nuke. i'm thinking that i have to find the:
Sound SOUND_ID_NUCLEAR_ATTACK
and change that to reflect the new sound. i wish activision had made this easier on us...CIV II was so easy to incorporate new sounds...ugh.

in the time that i was writing this i was also playing around with the files...i'm stumped as to how i can change the sound files. somehow i have to get into the sound.zfs file as i believe my answer lies there.
Old December 20, 2000, 00:34   #5
skorpion59
Prince

Local Time: 03:45
Martock,

What sound exactly do you want to change? Sound_Death_Nuke is the sound that fires off when a Nuke is killed. My guess is you need to change SOUND_ID_NUKE in sounds.txt.

Omni is 100% right but Special Attacks go a little further. Look at specattack.txt file to find the sounds that fire off for special attacks.

If that doesn't work try other nuke sounds until you find the one you are looking for.

As long as it is only a sound, the new .wav file only needs to go in the [CtP2]\ctp_data\default\sound directory.

[This message has been edited by skorpion59 (edited December 19, 2000).]
Old December 20, 2000, 09:33   #6
Martock
Warlord

the exact sound i am trying to change is the one that the nuke will make when it explodes. right now i just want to change it. i will add an air-raid siren to the sound clip and merge them together later on. if what skorpion59 said is correct then i may have already made the change and not realized it. i did use a nuke to attack the greeks (i think as they were the first ones i came across) but that was an attack. i'll make the same changes this time but to SOUND_ATTACK_NUKE instead of SOUND_DEATH_NUKE. i do hope this works.

out of curiousity, is there ANYWAY to get back the OLD sound files from CTP 1?? i HATE what they did to the clerics, spies, and other special units. it's like they cut out all the fun sayings just to make them more politically correct or something...
Old December 20, 2000, 12:23   #7
skorpion59
Prince

Then SOUND_ID_NUKE is what you want to change, not SOUND_ATTACK_NUKE.

From specattack.txt:
NUKE { SoundID SOUND_ID_NUKE SpriteID SPECEFFECT_NUKE }

This is what fires off when a Nuke hits a unit or city because it is a special attack.

I don't have CtP1 installed to see but if all the sound files you are referring to are in the big, compressed Activision file then no, you can't get them. Possibly you could record them.

[This message has been edited by skorpion59 (edited December 20, 2000).]
Old December 20, 2000, 14:47   #8
Martock
Warlord

basically all i want to do is make the nuke explosion sound just like a nuke exploding. the current boom isn't impressive in any sense of the word. so from what you've told me skorpion59, i should be changing the sound_id_nuke...but what is this pointing to?? how do i go about identifing what wave file to use?? with the sound_attack_nuke in the sounds.txt file, i can at least name the wave file.

now if i change the SOUND_ATTACK_NUKE "ALOCKON1.WAV"
to SOUND_ATTACK_NUKE "NUKEBOOM.WAV" (minus the "") and have that file in the CTP_DATA\DEFAULT\SOUND folder, THEN things should be peachy when i launch a missile towards the offending parties.
Old December 20, 2000, 15:45   #9
Locutus
Apolytoners Hall of FameCiv4 SP Democracy GameCiv4 InterSite DG: Apolyton TeamBtS Tri-LeagueC4BtSDG TemplarsC4WDG Team ApolytonCivilization IV CreatorsCTP2 Source Code ProjectPolyCast Team
Deity

Local Time: 11:45
Actually, you *can* open the big sounds file, both for CtPI and CtPII. The unZFS utility lev mentioned a few weeks ago will extract sound files just fine.
Old December 20, 2000, 16:33   #10
Martock
Warlord

SWEET!! i just downloaded it...and forwarded onto my home email...just a quickie though, even i can open the file, will it let me add to the file or will the game work with sound files just dumped willy nilly in the CTP_DATA\DEFAULT\SOUND (provided they are named correctly). at present i only wish to tinker with the nuke, the cleric/televangelist, the spy, and the sounds to the tank. if i can find that MOD file i made for CIV II years back i know i had some great war sounds in there...jet fighter droping naplam and the nasty firestorm that followed as well as a great nuke explosion sound. hmm...i think i'll pop over to the CIV II site and see if i can pull it back...

well i'll post the results later tonight about my adventures in sound land.
Old December 20, 2000, 16:45   #11
Martock
Warlord

AHHH...happiness is finding a mod you made several years ago with the sounds you want...now if i just had speakers here at work i'd be even happier...
Old December 20, 2000, 16:45   #12
skorpion59
Prince

Martock,
The example above was just showing you why you change SOUND_ID_NUKE, instead of one of the other sound files. You don't actually change any of the above info.

In sounds.txt, change
SOUND_ID_NUKE "GXXX04.WAV" to
SOUND_ID_NUKE "yournewsound.wav".

Put your new wav files in the sound directory and you're set.
Thats it. Pretty simple.

If you are still having problems after doing this, find/use/make a different sound file.

Locutus,
Thanks, I didn't know the sound files were regular wav files in the ZFS. I have only looked into the graphics files and they aren't usable.

[This message has been edited by skorpion59 (edited December 20, 2000).]
Old December 20, 2000, 16:49   #13
Martock
Warlord

thanks Skorpion59! i'll make the appropiate changes tonight. i'm very hopeful that i can get the old CTP 1 monks etc back into play. i much prefer them to the newer ones.
Old December 20, 2000, 19:14   #14
Martock
Warlord

SUCCESS!!! finally a nuke that sounds like a nuke!! now onto the other sounds that i need to fix.

thanks skorpion59 and omnigod for your help.