Old December 23, 2000, 12:19   #181
skorpion59
Prince

Local Time: 03:46
Local Date: October 31, 2010
Ah, yes. I too am anxious but there is still playtesting, balancing, etc once it is available.

Since Wes has/had 14 months (very rough guess) on the Med Mod for CtP1, it isn't too likely he can learn the ins and outs of CtP2 and throw together a perfectly finished product in just 1 month.

Correct me Wes if I am wrong.

BTW, I still remember when the Med Mod 1 thread broke 100 posts. At the time, that was pretty impressive but it looks like you will easily break 200 or more on this one.
Old December 23, 2000, 16:24   #182
Harlan
Apolytoners Hall of Fame

Local Time: 01:46
Didorus, I'm glad to see we're thinking along similar lines. However, one thing I'd change. I think Monarchy should come first. Having City State close to Agriculure is waaay too early in my opinon. The way it should go for the typical player is like this: Tyranny, Monarchy, the split off to Theology, City State, or stick with Monarchy, depending on your playing style. City State is a more advanced form of government, with a lot of them widening the power from just one king to a proto-democracy, oligarchy, and other forms.

Also, Wes, I hope you replace the regular Fighter and Tank graphics with the superior WW2 ones now available, and now you're got something for Dive Bomber and AA Gun as well, not to mention Pillboxes and maybe Barbed Wire tile improvements. I was right it was about the invasion of France, but I'm glad to see I was wrong that there was no new graphics. Obviously the maker of this one was able to talk Activision into bending that rule heavily.

Old December 24, 2000, 02:24   #183
Diodorus Sicilus
Warlord

Local Time: 09:46
Harlan: I put City State so early for two reasons. First, it was historically the first "government" for a multi-city group. It really wasn't until the Assyrians that anyone did much with another city other than loot it when conquered and then demand tribute at various intervals: all the early Mesopotamian, Palestinian and Anatolian civilizations seem to have been this type, and even the "centralized" Egyptian state reverted to it whenever the Pharoahs were weak. More importantly, I felt that City State was the complement to Tyranny, which is available from the start, can be used to wage early wars and aggressive expansion, and needed a more 'peaceful' counterpart. So far this seems to have worked in my (admittedly limited) testing.
BTW in my revised Tech Tree Monarchy still comes a little earlier than it did when I played my first games of CtP II with the unmodified advances.
Old December 24, 2000, 04:22   #184
WesW
Apolytoners Hall of Fame

Local Time: 03:46
Wolf, I think that would be another slic-only feature, if it can be done.

Falves, you would have to make your own sound file, I assume.

I had thought in the past about keeping this thread going until it rivaled some of those you see in OT. All the "people" who thumb their noses at Ctp might be a little shocked at that.
I won't do it, though. When I get the Alpha posted, I will start another thread for it.

Well, I spent this evening playing the WWII scenario, and tonight gathering the units I want from it and integrating them into the Med mod. I have not tried to load it yet, choosing to make this post before retiring for the night. I "hope" you don't have to includ the entire tile sets just to get the Pillbox and Barbed Wire.

I put the Stuka and Fairey graphics into the mod, replacing the Stuka and B-17 units from Harlan's WWII pack. I added the Spitfire, and set it to replace the P-38.
I added the two German tanks and the WWII-scenario's Artillery unit, calling the Panzer II "Mech. Infantry", the Panzer III "Armor", and the Artillery "Anti-Aircraft Gun". I have not decided if I will use them in the mod yet. If I do use the Anti-Aircraft Gun, it will have the same properties described for the Antiair unit in the scenario: active air-defense, bombard air, water and land, and a bonus against mounted units. (The WWII-scenario's Artillery graphics were already in the game, btw. This was the standard artillery unit up through the beta-testing, when they decided to put in the current, mounted artillery version for some reason.)
As mentioned above, I added the files for the Pillbox and Barbed Wire. The Pillbox seems to work fine, but the Wire doesn't show up on the map. The text at the bottom of the screen says that the wire is there, but whatever is supposed to show up on the terrain is missing or something. If someone with more experience adding stuff like TIs can tell me what I need to add, I would be grateful.
Btw, does anyone know if Pillboxes attack every unit that comes next to them? This might be a bad feature in a regular game.

When playing the scenario, I noticed that fighter-type aircraft should be flanking units, and made that change to the mod.
I have also thought for a while now that City Walls should give an added bonus versus mounted units. I don't think that feature is possible without slic, but I came up with a pretty good alternative: give that bonus to militia units, since Militias will always be defending cities.

One note of interest: The setting which appears to allow Pillboxes to bombard things from 2 tiles away is the "BombardRange" flag. Some of you were talking at one time about making units capable of doing that. This appears to be another example of something already in the game that we didn't know the use of.

I have been thinking about it, and I have enough units available to make a solid WWII-era unit progression. Thinking about it somemore, I could merge the current Renaissance and Industrial age units together to form one really good age, rather than the two thread-bare ages that we have under the current layout. I will put this together tomorrow, and post everything.

There "will" be an announcement tomorrow about where you can get the Alpha verison of the mod. Just give me tomorrow to put everything together.
Old December 24, 2000, 06:44   #185
FALVES
Chieftain

Local Time: 09:46
I've been making this big ass world map (170x200) and I'l just wait for that alpha version to pop the sucker!
You go, Wes!
[This message has been edited by FALVES (edited December 24, 2000).]
Old December 28, 2000, 00:07   #186
Martock
Warlord

Local Time: 04:46
I'm back and ready to dive into my barbarians from hell mode. i'll let u know if i find anything. i do wonder why the AI is limited to just warriors. i should be able to find something that will allow me to give them access to other units.