Old November 27, 2000, 02:04   #91
Elucidus
C4WDG United Dungeon DwellersC4WDG StrategaC4WDG Huygen's UnionC4WDG Spamyard TeamC4WDG éirich tuireannC4WDG The GooniesC4WDG People's Army of the LadderC4WDG Calysium
Prince

Local Time: 03:46
Local Date: October 31, 2010
Well, I believe city sizes are controlled by files named citysize1.txt thru citysize5.txt. I don't know what any of them do or any differences they have, maybe each one is for a different difficulty, I don't know. They may not even play a role, although I think they do. I may play with this file later, but haven't as of yet. I just thought I would share this little tid-bit of info in case anyone missed/overlooked it.

------------------
Yours in gaming,
~Elucidus
Old November 27, 2000, 07:29   #92
TheLimey
Prince

Local Time: 09:46
Regarding the 12 stacks from the AI. When the AI is in defense mode, the offensive stacks are just at a lower priority. It still 'matches the target' just not as often. Why not duplicate the most offensive battleplan, over the top of the defensive one, and see how the AI reacts?

Also, you might want to set up a game with 3 civs, a biggish map, and just build and defend yourself, but let the AI get bigger than you. Use globesat I guess... Watch what happens when the AI can resource however it wants.

Wes> Doesn't the lack of food requirements almost demand a need for lessening slaving. This sounds like an open invite...

The -1 happiness is all well and good if the human is building wonders BUT... if the human ignores them, and lets the AI build them, theoretically the AI could run itself into the ground by building them...

The human could just build the positive happiness ones, and the 'best of the rest' to be sure.

I think we're in for some amount of playtesting to find really good balance.
Old November 27, 2000, 07:29   #93
TheLimey
Prince

Regarding the 12 stacks from the AI. When the AI is in defense mode, the offensive stacks are just at a lower priority. It still 'matches the target' just not as often. Why not duplicate the most offensive battleplan, over the top of the defensive one, and see how the AI reacts?

Also, you might want to set up a game with 3 civs, a biggish map, and just build and defend yourself, but let the AI get bigger than you. Use globesat I guess... Watch what happens when the AI can resource however it wants.

Wes> Doesn't the lack of food requirements almost demand a need for lessening slaving. This sounds like an open invite...

The -1 happiness is all well and good if the human is building wonders BUT... if the human ignores them, and lets the AI build them, theoretically the AI could run itself into the ground by building them...

The human could just build the positive happiness ones, and the 'best of the rest' to be sure.

Old November 27, 2000, 07:29   #94
TheLimey
Prince

Old November 27, 2000, 07:29   #95
TheLimey
Prince

Old November 27, 2000, 12:16   #96
Drakenred
Warlord

quote:

Originally posted by TheLimey on 11-27-2000 06:29 AM

I think you should be able to give the AI a happynes bonus to ofset that, although frankly i find the -1 hapyness bonus to be a bit odd.(the Real Wonders of the world were for the most part a souce of Pride in the empire in question)

as for WOTW, i would think that it would be a lot more realistic to have a modification of the way they expire. Specificaly, they Expire when your Civilisation builds a new Wonder of the World(logicaly, they should also continue to provide a minor hapynes-Tourist trade efect bonus for the City when they expire(IE the statue of Liberty, starts off providing a empire-wide hapyness/growth bonus, but when it is replaced by a later WOTW, within its empire, then it simply provides a minor Comerce bonus (say +10%, and +1 hapyness) to that city only)(also, i think that the bonuses should decay a bit after time, say all wondres provide their max benifit for (say)100 turns(200-250 in CTP2), then slowly start to demisnish in efect,(or terminate in Efect all together) or only provide full efects to fewer cities, or the top X number of cities that would most benifit from that WOTW
Old November 27, 2000, 12:16   #97
Drakenred
Warlord

quote:

I think you should be able to give the AI a happynes bonus to ofset that, although frankly i find the -1 hapyness bonus to be a bit odd.(the Real Wonders of the world were for the most part a souce of Pride in the empire in question)

as for WOTW, i would think that it would be a lot more realistic to have a modification of the way they expire. Specificaly, they Expire when your Civilisation builds a new Wonder of the World(logicaly, they should also continue to provide a minor hapynes-Tourist trade efect bonus for the City when they expire(IE the statue of Liberty, starts off providing a empire-wide hapyness/growth bonus, but when it is replaced by a later WOTW, within its empire, then it simply provides a minor Comerce bonus (say +10%, and +1 hapyness) to that city only)(also, i think that the bonuses should decay a bit after time, say all wondres provide their max benifit for (say)100 turns(200-250 in CTP2), then slowly start to demisnish in efect,(or terminate in Efect all together) or only provide full efects to fewer cities, or the top X number of cities that would most benifit from that WOTW
Old November 27, 2000, 12:16   #98
Drakenred
Warlord

quote:

Old November 27, 2000, 12:16   #99
Drakenred
Warlord

quote:

Old November 28, 2000, 01:59   #100
colorme
Warlord

Wes,

Thanks. As long as there are guys like you, there is hope for a better CTP2 .

I think we should stop comparing CTP2 with Civ2 though. CTP1 was good (in my view), but CTP2 doesn't offer anything substantial beyond CTP1. OK correction: it offers substantial things like mayors, but I don't think these could have been too hard to implement.

Better AI IS harder to implement, and there doesn't seem to be any change in CTP2 over CTP1, in that respect.
Old November 29, 2000, 00:59   #101
Diodorus Sicilus
Warlord

Depp and anyone else interested...
I'm playing a couple of test game setups now with the following modifications to the game.
First, in the terrain values that Wes posted at the beginning of this thread, I changed to the following:
Terrain Food-Prod-Gold
Grassland 10----5---5
Plains ---10---10---5
Forest---- 5---15---5
Jungle--- 5---10---5
Desert---- 0---10---5
Swamp--- 0----5---5
Hill---------5---10---5
Sand Dune--0---10---5
Polar Hill---0---10---5
Mountain---0---15---5
Brown Mtn--0---15---5
Polar Mtn--0---15---5
Tundra-----5----5---0
Glacier----0----0---0
Beach----- 5---0---10
Shallow---10---0---10
Shelf-----10---5---10
Trench-----5--10---10
Kelp------10---0---10
Reef------10---5---10
Deep Water10---0---10
Volcano---10--20---10
Rift-------5--20----5
Special1--15---5----5
Special2------------5
Basically, I reduced the amount of food from a 'raw' tile in Grassland, Jungle, Swamp, Beach. Then I increased the Food added by Farms, Advanced Farms, Nets, Fisheries by +5 each. In a nutshell, to get the same food and population increase as before you now have to improve the tiles with PW. In addition, I jacked the effect of the Food Silo improvement (comes with Railroad) to +25 Food instead of +15. I haven't played that far yet, but I hope the result will be a near-historical "surge" of size in cities with the railroads.
In combat, the only change I've made is to give the Longship an attack factor of 10 instead of 0 and to increase the effect of City Wall from +15 defense to +25. I would love to introduce the Legion and a Chariot or Light Cavalry Flanker unit for early in the game and slow down the introduction of Knights and the Renaissance advances in general, but that will require more work than I have time for right now - I'm working all this coming weekend, and introducing the 4-7 new tech Advances in the Ancient -Renaissance era plus new units will take some time to do right.
On a completely different note, has anyone else noticed an alternative 'resource' buried in the game? There's a Sprite GUO1.SPR described as "cattle" which was apparently left out of both CtPI and CtPII. This would make an interesting variant - a Tile Improvement which provides Food and Gold in the same PW element. Since cattle were considered money (the first metal ingots were cast in the shape of a stretched cowhide) this could be introduced early, say, by returning 'Domestication' to the tech tree. The trick would be to provide a boost to terrain values lowered even further from my current test totals, but the totals from Cattle would be less than what you could get later from Farms, Mines, Trading Posts and such separately.
Another Hidden Goodie in CtPII: in the ColorsOO.txt file in gamedata/dfault there is a listing of codes for color sets for Players numbered 0 thru 16 - a total (potentially) of 17 civs (or 16 if, as I suspect, one of them is Barbarians). Wes or somebody with more experience with tweaking the internals, is this a clue as to the real limits to the number of civs we can pack onto a single map?
What intrigues me is the idea that there may be 'extra' civ colors built into the game already, just waiting to be used. In playing CtPI with the CD mod I had several games in which at least one civ was wiped out by barbarians (which, incidentally, NEVER happened in an unmodified CtPI game). Is there some way to take that process one step further? That is, after X turns in which a city has been controlled by Barbarians, it changes color and becomes a new civilization with, perhaps, the tech the original city's civ had plus some random tech (supposedly) picked up by the barbarian tribes as they traveled. This would, it seems to me, add a very interesting set of variables to the game: you would not be faced by the same opponents throughout a long game, but might suddenly find that peaceable green neighborly state replaced by a bunch of expansionist fuschia fanatics! I noticed a list of 'barbarian city' names and barbarian leader data in the txt files already, so some thought was given somewhere in the design process to having a much more 'player-like' Barbarian presence, but they apparently never followed through with it.
Old November 29, 2000, 02:06   #102
Alpha Wolf
Chieftain

This being my first post, I'd like to start it by saying how happy I am that i'm not the only annoyed at the lack of offensive play by the AI. CtP was so annoying how a good friend at a peace level would send a single ship-of-the-line to bombard one of my cities. it was too easy to roll just one or two stacks against them, completely wiping them out before they had a chance to mobilize into an effective force. i remember the question being "what do i gain by starting a war?", but the AI has no ability to determine whether attacking someone strong is to their advantage. if possible, I'd like to see the AI only attack if its ready to fight or if the number of my units nearby is say less than 5. Is there any way to allow the max AI stack to be larger than the human player stack? And if the AI cant figure out how to follow fuel rules on planes, maybe planes should not be allowed by anyone. Nothing like getting my units kiled by some AI planes, then hearing them crash at the end of the turn.
Old November 29, 2000, 02:06   #103
Alpha Wolf
Chieftain

This being my first post, I'd like to start it by saying how happy I am that i'm not the only annoyed at the lack of offensive play by the AI. CtP was so annoying how a good friend at a peace level would send a single ship-of-the-line to bombard one of my cities. it was too easy to roll just one or two stacks against them, completely wiping them out before they had a chance to mobilize into an effective force. i remember the question being "what do i gain by starting a war?", but the AI has no ability to determine whether attacking someone strong is to their advantage. if possible, I'd like to see the AI only attack if its ready to fight or if the number of my units nearby is say less than 5. Is there any way to allow the max AI stack to be larger than the human player stack? And if the AI cant figure out how to follow fuel rules on planes, maybe planes should not be allowed by anyone. Nothing like getting my units kiled by some AI planes, then hearing them crash at the end of the turn.
Old November 29, 2000, 02:06   #104
Alpha Wolf
Chieftain

Old November 29, 2000, 02:06   #105
Alpha Wolf
Chieftain

Old November 29, 2000, 02:18   #106
Alpha Wolf
Chieftain

OH I almost forgot. As far as wonders go. There's just too many of them. Too many of them have benefits that I doubt were/are real. How did the Pyramids help with gold? And chichen itza deterred crime by killing the simplest offense. After a certain time, this wasnt allowed anymore yet in CtP2 it looks like it never expires. Most WoWs should in fact be nothing more than FoWs.
And they should take substantially longer to build than they currently do.
It appears that theres still no production penalty for switching the building queue before its finished.
Old November 29, 2000, 02:18   #107
Alpha Wolf
Chieftain

OH I almost forgot. As far as wonders go. There's just too many of them. Too many of them have benefits that I doubt were/are real. How did the Pyramids help with gold? And chichen itza deterred crime by killing the simplest offense. After a certain time, this wasnt allowed anymore yet in CtP2 it looks like it never expires. Most WoWs should in fact be nothing more than FoWs.
It appears that theres still no production penalty for switching the building queue before its finished.
Old November 29, 2000, 02:18   #108
Alpha Wolf
Chieftain

Old November 29, 2000, 02:18   #109
Alpha Wolf
Chieftain

Old November 29, 2000, 03:14   #110
Alpha Wolf
Chieftain

If I might add my 2 cents on terrain values. I would make all water squares 10f-0p-5g, but jack up the benefits of tile improvements for production, i mean what exactly do you get out of water except water and sand? grasslands should still the most productive food source at 15f-0p-0g. the reason its so productive is because the soil is good ole black nutrious dirt, and not part clay or partially dried out like the plains. No matter what the desert type, it should produce no food until improved. And white hills and white mountians should take a 5p reduction to account for the difficulty in working in the cold. Plus from my experience from visiting New Orleans, they get a ton of different foods from the swamps so I'd give it at least a 5f. I played these values in CtP1 and liked the growth rates of my cities as being more in line with reality.
Although with the new production model used in CtP2, all this may be moot.

------------------
History is written by the victor.
Old November 29, 2000, 06:59   #111
Big Dave
Call to Power II MultiplayerCTP2 Source Code Project
Prince

Wes,
When you're tinkering with the Happiness value don't forget that cities need to be further apart in CTP2 than they did in C:CTP.
Respectfully,

------------------
Big Dave

Do the Vatican police speak Pig Latin?
Old November 29, 2000, 14:51   #112
Joseph
King

Local Time: 02:46
Wes
When you build an Advanced Farms on grassland or plains you receive + 20 food.
However if you want to build a Trading Post, Outlet Mall, or Nature Preserve you loose the + 20 food. So the question is could you retore the +20 food to Trading Post, Ourlet Mall or Nature Preserve and I almost forgot the Airport? If not can someone tell me were I can change it in my game?

------------------

[This message has been edited by Joseph (edited November 29, 2000).]
Old November 29, 2000, 17:54   #113
Paulypav
Warlord

I'm still waiting to get the game for X-Mas.

Actually, not such a bad thing since I have lots of school work to do. I'm very excited that there may be versions of Wes' mod before I get the game.

If explosive city growth is the problem everyone says it is I would appreciate a mod that reduces the base values for tiles and increases the strength of tile improvements. Is there a way to reduce the value of the city tile and thus reduce ICS? I don't think it was possible in CTP 1, so I imagine it would be difficult for CTP 2 as well.

Thanks to all the players out there who are working hard on modifications.

------------------
“The American people have now spoken, but it’s going to take a little while to determine exactly what
they said.” — President Clinton
Old November 29, 2000, 18:45   #114
Alpha Wolf
Chieftain

changing the city values was easy in CtP. In the terrain.txt, until each terrain was a bonus for the city. I had modified mine so that cities in the mountains only got an extra 5f, and desert and snow cities got 0f. I havent delved into the CtP2 files yet, but thats were I'd look first.

------------------
History is written by the victor.
Old November 29, 2000, 20:05   #115
Elucidus
C4WDG United Dungeon DwellersC4WDG StrategaC4WDG Huygen's UnionC4WDG Spamyard TeamC4WDG éirich tuireannC4WDG The GooniesC4WDG People's Army of the LadderC4WDG Calysium
Prince

Since when has many of the wonders in any of the civ games been true to real life... The pyramids counting as graneries in all cities, or the great wall as city walls in all cities... The list goes on. Remember it is supposed to be fun, not real life. Although I agree that the cost could use a bit of an increase. I mean it should be next to impossible for me to build all the wonders in the game on impossible level. But so far that is exacly what I've done. Maybe if we added more wonders, so that the computer can build those while I am building the others, than the wonders wouldn't mean so much, and maybe there would be two or three superpowers in the world... Just some thoughts 'o mine.

------------------
Yours in gaming,
~Elucidus
Old November 29, 2000, 20:05   #116
Elucidus
Prince

Since when has many of the wonders in any of the civ games been true to real life... The pyramids counting as graneries in all cities, or the great wall as city walls in all cities... The list goes on. Remember it is supposed to be fun, not real life. Although I agree that the cost could use a bit of an increase. I mean it should be next to impossible for me to build all the wonders in the game on impossible level. But so far that is exacly what I've done. Maybe if we added more wonders, so that the computer can build those while I am building the others, than the wonders wouldn't mean so much, and maybe there would be two or three superpowers in the world... Just some thoughts 'o mine.

------------------
Yours in gaming,
~Elucidus
Old November 29, 2000, 20:05   #117
Elucidus
Prince

------------------
Yours in gaming,
~Elucidus
Old November 29, 2000, 20:05   #118
Elucidus
Prince

------------------
Yours in gaming,
~Elucidus
Old November 29, 2000, 20:11   #119
WesW
Apolytoners Hall of Fame

Diodorus' terrain and improvement changes look very interesting. There is also another thing you can try as well. In const.txt, there is a setting for the amount of food that must be stored before the pop increases. By default it is 175 times the current pop. I am not 'sure' if it is still active in ctp2, but I would think so.

I have thought about changing the city bonus, but I figured it was necessary to get the city going, especially on rough terrain.

Joseph, you can only have one 'standard' improvement (food, prod or commerce), and one 'special' improvement (airport, lookout tower, etc.).

Btw, the risks.txt, which sets goody hut gifts and Barbarian appearances, is exactly the same as in ctp1, so I have simply dropped the risks.txt from the Med mod into the Med mod II.
There is also a flag in the diffDB pertaining to the max advance you can get from a hut, but I haven't experimented with it.

In the strategies.txt, Barbarians are listed with the same flags as all the other personalities, so you can make them whatever you want them to be.
I have made a few changes to them to get them to garrison their cities, for example.
There was also a line in the userprofile.txt in ctp1 that you could set to make new, regular civ whenever a city revolts, rather than Barbarians. I don't know what to do about giving them the old civ's techs, however.

I have had some trouble implementing Harlan's Graphics mod into the Med mod II. The file setup is slightly different in ctp1 and ctp2 when it comes to the ages and building styles, and I can't figure out how to implement the city graphics. If anyone can figure this out, it would be a big help.

I have been working on implementing the new units into the mod, 26 new units in all. Below is a list of them, with where they came from, and their ctp2 name, followed by their sprite's number. The list will be hard to read here, but when I post the file, it will make sense.

Old name New name
------------ ------------

Inserted Ctp1 units SpriteID no.
-----------------------------------------
1)Ctp1 Cannon Cannon 19
2)Ctp1 Cavalry Dragoon 20
3)Ctp1 Musketeer Musketeer 22
4)Ctp1 Artillery Artillery 28
5)Ctp1 Plasmatica Plasmatica 70
6)Ctp1 Sp. Marines Storm Marines 73
7)Ctp1 Fusion Tank Hovertank 78
8)Ctp1 Swarm Swarm 79

Re-named Ctp2 units Newsprite no.
------------------------------------------
Ctp2 Warrior Man-at-Arms 003
Ctp2 Samurai Samurai 006
Ctp2 Cannon Culverin 019
Ctp2 Spy Secret Agent 034
Ctp2 Aircraft Car. Nuclear Car. 036*
Ctp2 Bomber Jet Bomber 047
Ctp2 Fusion Tank Plasma Cannon 078*
Ctp2 Frigate PT Boat 080
Ctp2 Artillery Self-Prop. Gun 082

New units
---------------------------------
09)EB Zulu Warrior Warrior 001
10)EB Zulu Archer Javelineer 009
11)TD Slinger Slinger 018
12)TD Javelin Cav. Light Cavalry 028
13)TD Noble Cavalry Heavy Cavalry 066
14)TD Swordsman Swordsman 067
15)TD Ironclad Monitor 070
16)HT Horse Archer Horse Archer 071
17)TD Egyptian Spear Spearman 072
18)HT Frigate Frigate 073
19)TD Spy Spy 074
***Militia pic Militia pic 076
20)TD Noble Noble 081
21)HT Galleon Galleon 083
22)HT Carrier Carrier 084
23)AP Missile Cr. Missile Cruiser 085
24)HT B-17 Bomber 086
25)HT Dive Bomber Dive Bomber 087
26)AP Helicopter Attack Heli. 088

TD Fyrdman (unused) 091
TD Arquebusier (unused) 092
TD Bombard (unused) 093
TD Cog (Caravel) (unused) 094
95+ open
* civ_str change only

I have been noticing some interesting unit flags as I go along. I will try and put these observations together along with some others I have made in another post or thread in the future.
Old November 30, 2000, 03:23   #120
TheBirdMan
Call to Power PBEMCall to Power Democracy Game
Emperor

Location: A real Master of CTP-PBEM - together with all the others.....
Nearly can't wait to get my fingers on the game...

Wes, when you write, that slavers/abolitionist/clerics can be sued - then I think we are missing a form for an "old" lawyer to do the job?! Just as we have "old" spies and so.

The idea sueing these units are very good indeed.