Old January 4, 2001, 20:51   #1
Harlan
Apolytoners Hall of Fame

Local Time: 01:48
Local Date: October 31, 2010
New pollution problem?
Scenario makers might find this important.

It seems that the distance from capital unhappiness (DFCU for short) penalty isn't working for all the civs in my scenario. The problem happened when I turned pollution on, which I decided I needed to do (I'm using pollution through population as a way to make large cities unhappier than small ones. It seems to be the only way to do it. But there won't be any actual pollution created.) Before that, the DFCU was working for everyone. After, it wasn't working for the Macedonians, but then I strengthened the effect of DFCU in the govern.txt, and they got it. Strangely, the other civs still didn't, except the Independents, civ #8. The only thing different about them is that they don't have a capitol (I've been forgetting to give them one). So I thought maybe that's it, if I give them a capitol and take away a capitol from one of the other civs, say the Carthaginians, then the Carthaginians will now experience DFCU and the Independents won't. Well the first part was wrong but the second part was right.

I've gone back to an earlier version of my scenario, before I turned pollution on, and the DFCU works for all. Then I turned pollution on again, and instantly (well, the next turn) the DFCU was gone again.

Could it be the pollution toggle button in the cheat menu doesn't work properly? How can I get around this and have both pollution unhappiness and DFCU happen at the same time for the AI?!? Scorpion, perhaps could you find a hex edit way to turn pollution on?

Some serious bugs here. The whole unhappiness things seems messed up in fact. I haven't seen any evidence of unhappiness through overcrowding for instance. Has anyone?

Old January 6, 2001, 01:55   #2
skorpion59
Prince

Local Time: 03:48
Local Date: October 31, 2010
Harlan,

Never ran into this before but I found I have been playing with pollution turned off.

One question, did this happen in the Activision shipped version or just the new one.

Editing files is always possible but I have to say I don't understand the relationship between pollution and DFCU well enough to know where to begin. As I go through the files, I will look for something which might explain this.