Old January 1, 2001, 04:04   #1
Radical_Manuvr
Chieftain

Local Time: 09:48
Local Date: October 31, 2010
Improved ? World War 2 Scenario
I've spent the last several days working on what I hope will be considered improvements to the WW2 scenario released by Activision. It's probably going to be a while before I have something I could send to MarkG (if he or anyone else wants the files and I assume he's in charge here - I'm fairly new to using Apolyton). Sometimes the smallest error takes me a while to find since I've taken some classes but I'm not a "real" programmer. Nor am I a history expert so I'll do the best I can. I may have to remove English units from France to stop them from fighting. I'm only planning on changing playing the Germans at least for now.

A few of the changes I plan to include:

modification of 2 CTP2 units to have rockets and rocket launchers (since I don't know the proper term they're what I can only describe as the artillery type, not V-2). This will provide something to allow attacks from a distance of more than one tile (3 for now but may change to 2).

Modified and additional goals. At least 3. Lots of additional cities for England and conquering England will be the final goal. A few more cities for France, Germany and the Netherlands.

More turns/time to accomplish goals. I'm thinking 1 year now but it may end up being as short as 6 months.

Far more units (#) for the English, more units (#) for the other civs but not too many.

I'll try to make the Barbarians into the French Resistance. Haven't got to that yet to experiment. I'm thinking occasional units and/or maybe spies that sabotage or something.

I had a big, time consuming problem with pillboxes so they are out. I don't know how to make the map any larger so while I'd like to include more territory, I doubt that I will mess with it. It took forever but I finally got the English to start out with an Alliance with the French. I was only able to get peace treaties for all the other allies for the start of the game (except Belgium-Netherlands, they get conquered by the Germans in the first couple turns so I gave up after many tries and just left them not liking each other).

In my testing England is always at war with France by the time I look at cheat mode so I don't know if there's anything I can do to stop that. They're fighting but haven't taken any of each other's cities so I might just have to live with it. Fun, a challenge and having things work right are my top priorities so I'm choosing them over historical accuracy. I'll experiment with unit placement when I get a chance to see if that stops the fighting. I've removed all but one English stack from France and they still end up fighting. I may have to remove all the English units from France. It won't be historically accurate but I'll do the best I can.

If anyone knows how the British tanks compared to the Panzers historically as far as firepower and defense I'd appreciate a reply. Suggested settings would be great.

Also, if anyone can figure out why the French units are all killed off around the end of June I would appreciate help there. I haven't spent too much time to look into and play around with that yet but I'm hoping a real programmer can quickly look at the code and point out the problem. I didn't note the exact date yet but it's about June 28 that all French units disappear and the Germans can just walk into the remaining French controlled cities. I don't think it's related to the original WW2 scenario goals since I hadn't captured all 7 cities.

Let me know if there's anything you'd like to see and if I can I'll include it.
Old January 1, 2001, 15:58   #2
Wyrmo
Settler

The brittish tanks of the early war was far superior to the german panzers. The Pz II's 20mm cannon could hardly penetrate the armor of the brittish heavy tanks, such as the Matilda, and even the Pz III had problems untill it was outfitted with a 50mm gun instead of the 37mm one. I'd say the germans had pretty much the same problems as the allies had in the later war when it came to defeating allied tanks. Had to move close and in from behind.
Though the germans superior tactics in the early war made their panzer divisions cut through the allied defences like a hot knife through butter. Allies didn't know how to use tanks untill gerry taught them...
the hard way

Oh, and the reason units die at late june is probably cuz you've captured most french cities, so their production gets too low to support therir troops.
[This message has been edited by Wyrmo (edited January 01, 2001).]
Old January 6, 2001, 22:25   #3
Radical_Manuvr
Chieftain

Thanks for the reply Wyrmo. I think the settings as is would work about right then. Trouble is nobody seems to be interested in the scenario. I had the SLIC code working for about 2/3 of the tasks I wanted to include, but since there's no interest I began working on a completely new scenario.