Old December 5, 1999, 00:14   #1
DanQ

Column #82: "Plunge Into The ToT Fantasy World"
http://apolyton.net/civ2/column/82_fantasy.shtml

Lots to read up on here, folks! Comments/questions are welcomed.

----------------
Dan; Apolyton CS

Old December 6, 1999, 16:54   #2
ir
Chieftain

Local Time: 22:37
Local Date: October 30, 2010
It would be nice to discuss all these things IMHO. I bought ToT few monthes ago and still didn't finish any extended or SciFi games.

Probably we should start new topic like "How I play as Goblins/Humans/Buteos etc." or "How to kill Elves/Merfolks/Stigians".

Anyway it's a very good idea
Old December 6, 1999, 19:15   #3
Narck
Emperor

Local Time: 17:37
Very good column.

Unfortunately, I really don't like ToT and only played it 5 times before dumping it in the trash.

Old December 6, 1999, 19:29   #4
Ming
lifer
Civilization II MultiplayerCivilization III MultiplayerPolyCast TeamCivilization IV: MultiplayerApolytoners Hall of Fame
Retired

Local Time: 17:37
I agree, a well written piece. But I have not bought the game yet. After many negative comments from gamers I respect, I decided to wait until it turned up in the discount bin. Only solid comments from Xin Yu make me still want to buy the game, but only at a much cheaper price.
Old December 11, 1999, 16:12   #5
ej
Settler

I'm amazed that some of the guys bought ToT and don't play it or are actually throwing ToT away. I've played the extended game to completion as well as two fantasy games in the Buteo world, and have only praise for the design team. ToT is constantly surprising me with new ideas and events. The Prima strategy guide is important for understanding the new tech trees as well as the minor quests. For example, developing Ally with Dragons, which gives you the ancient dragon units, is explained thoroughly. The Buteos need dragons to be really effective. ToT gives you so much: new graphics, units, tech trees, a stronger AI, and a great imagination. I find it difficult to go back to CivII, CivCTP or AlphaCentauri. The Reason? The other games pretend to vary the attributes of the players but in reality give you only one tribe type. In AlphaC there is precious little difference between the factions. On the other hand, in ToT you find that a strategy that works well against the goblins is worthless against the elves. Even more, a Buteo strategy against goblins/elves is going to be different than a Human strategy against goblins/elves. I love being able to drop a thunderbolt (cruise missile) from the skies (cloud realm) onto the heads of the hapless goblins. Yeah!

My only reservations about ToT are the same as about CivII:
1) No build queue. This is not as bad as it sounds because both CivCTP and AlphaC have very weak/awkward queue designs.
2) No way to break into the turn update cycle. How many of you have had a huge Democracy to into rebellion and had to wade through revolt displays of 40 cities? I usually hit ctrl/alt/delete and kill the game.
3) No autoexplore.
4) No unit stacking or ranged combat. Here is where CivCTP shines.

A final note. I find that ToT plays well in a Win95 guest OS in VMware under Linux. You need a fast processor and lots of ram.
Old May 6, 2000, 16:59   #6
J.C.
Settler

I am a long time board gamer ( since 1962 ) & a serious computer gamer since about 1991. I cut my teeth on the Ancient Art of War ( anybody remember that one ? } I have played CIV I many, many times. I finally got on the net last spring only to get my modem fried in August.

I find the TOT fantasy game to be one of the most fascinating implementations of a concept that I have ever experienced, possibly even surpassing my personal favorite Master of Magic. All of this and a good AI ( terrifically unfriendly though ) and multiplayer too !

What more could you want ? What needs to be done is too shake our collective arses out of the mud of organisational & egotistical squabbles, recognise what we have here and start to overcome the real problems of multiplayer gaming which are 1) where are you located, 2) when are you available, & 3) How can we get to know, like & trust each other so we can have these superb intellectual contests without breaking those bonds.

Other than that, the main problem with a club like this is that there are just too few women involved.