Old December 10, 2000, 14:32   #1
skorpion59
Prince

Local Time: 03:49
Local Date: October 31, 2010
Pop Up Messages
Like many others, I find the little msg box just about useless. So, I put the popups back in. Now, before I tweak it, auto-kill msgs, etc, what msgs do people want to pop up and which ones should stay in the little box? Anyone care to comment that wants the messages back?
Old December 10, 2000, 14:37   #2
OmniGod
Civilization IV CreatorsCiv4 SP Democracy Game
Prince

Local Time: 04:49
Personally the only messages that I find slightly important are the revolution of another civ, wonder races, pollution (but not so dam often ) and the we declare war on you.... I can't think of any other useful ones that I won't check the message box for...

Omni's 2 cents
Old December 10, 2000, 15:03   #3
lago

Celebration messages can certainly get lost, especially after you've built a civilization-wide happiness wonder (or Feat of Wonder) and every city in the empire is giddy with excitement. I can do without scrolling through the list to find the one or two significant messages.

Empty build queue, declaration of war, Wonder races, and pollution warnings...these would be the important ones to me, I guess.

Old December 10, 2000, 19:00   #4
Sabre2th
King

Local Time: 05:49
pretty much what i want are wonders, wars, pollution, empty queues, and riots/revolutions. completed units and buildings don't interest me at all.
Old December 10, 2000, 19:06   #5
Alpha Wolf
Chieftain

Local Time: 09:49
quote:

Originally posted by Sabre2th on 12-10-2000 06:00 PM
pretty much what i want are wonders, wars, pollution, empty queues, and riots/revolutions. completed units and buildings don't interest me at all.

I second this motion

------------------
History is written by the victor.
Old December 11, 2000, 04:45   #6
Celestial_Dawn
Prince

Local Time: 09:49
I'll second that too skorpion. You doing a mod on your own or are you working directly with Activision for the patch?
Old December 11, 2000, 06:56   #7
skorpion59
Prince

Wonders, wars, pollution, empty queues and riots/revs are what I figured needed to be changed. I just wanted to see if there was a big outpouring for anything else.

There will be a little tweaking also. Like on empty queues, you will have a button which will close the message, center on the city and bring up the build queue for that city. And an auto-kill for all those little messages. Nothing like spending 45 minutes every 50 rounds just to clear out the message queue.

It is being done in SLIC but there is a drawback (for some people). I plan on overwriting/disabling some of CtP2's default code. To me, that is a small price to pay, others might not think so.

And, nope, I'm not working with Activision on this one. It is just me.
Old December 11, 2000, 11:44   #8
hexagonian
The Courts of Candle'Bre
Emperor

I want it...yesterday!!!!

The way it was in CTP1 (message type) was good
Old December 11, 2000, 12:32   #9
Colonel Kraken
PtWDG Legoland
Warlord

Amen! Important pop-up messages are essential. Pehaps you can re-instate the right click that gets rid of a message. Also, those "delete all similar messages" box would be nice.

More importantly, perhaps you could let some of us who may not know how, to add our own messages that we would personally like to see in our own games.

I look forward to your slic mod. (no pun intended)

By the way, exactly what CTP2 code will you be writing over and getting rid of? Just wondering . . .

Old December 12, 2000, 01:24   #10
WesW
Apolytoners Hall of Fame

Is there a way of altering the messages that show up in the boxes to get rid of the ones people are saying are unnecessary? Once I got used to the message box, I thought it worked out all right. The main problem was all the messages that you didn't need, and a second problem was not having the messages wrap around so that you could see all of them in the box, without having to trigger the popup.

If you could alter the current popup so that it centers on the city when needed and opens appropriate windows, that would be an improvement any way you look at it, but I would prefer to try and do this within the current setup as much as possible.
Old January 15, 2001, 12:24   #11
Sabre2th
King

Local Time: 05:49
Whatever happened to this? I've been out of touch for a while, did anyone ever do anything with this?

Sabre
Old January 16, 2001, 01:21   #12
skorpion59
Prince

I got side-tracked with other projects and it is sitting in my 'Work In Progress' stack. When I started digging into the scenario errors problem, everything else took back stage. Basically, at this point, I am waiting to see if we hear from Activision regarding a new patch before getting back to this.