Old December 27, 2000, 03:15   #1
skorpion59
Prince

Local Time: 03:50
Local Date: October 31, 2010
GU???.Spr Errors
Okay, this is happening in both Wes and Harlan's Scenarios now so we know it isn't something they have done. Of the people receiving this error, are you running CtP2 V1.0, V1.1 or V1.11? Also, is there anything consistent about it? Like it happens with every save or is it every other save, etc. Does it only happen when you have just started CtP2 or does it also happen when you exit a game and load the saved file, without exiting CtP2? Anything you can provide would be appreciated.
Old December 27, 2000, 07:25   #2
Coflek

I have just posted this in Wes's thread. - I can send you my saved game this evening (UK- time)if you want.

This morning when i tried to open the saved game, it loadead almost fully, and than crashed just before the end of the loading. This happened twice. The error said: CTP2 caused an invalid page fault in module ... and than it listed registries etc...

After that i tried to start a new MED Mod II game(or a new game, I am not sure anymore) and than CTP2 listed as the empire name - 'BADSTRING' - and as the leader name junkstring_DESCRIPTION ... the other butons were OK...

Than i left, when i get back from work this evening, I will try and see, perhaps I will have to reinstall MED MOD II or even CTPII

Old December 27, 2000, 07:51   #3
skorpion59
Prince

Yes, please send me the save game when you can.

A couple of questions though.
Did you shut down and restart windows between each of the failed attempts at loading and did you happen to try to load the MedModII scenario and then go back and load the saved game?

Oh, and since I am getting games from both Harlan and Wes' scenarios please specify which scenario it came from in the email. It would help quite a bit.

Thanks for your help
Old December 27, 2000, 08:20   #4
Coflek

As i remember, I saved last night and shut down.

This morning i went first to load the game, and than load the saved game... The computer crashed, after that I tried to go and load once more... crash.. than I went to try and start -i think now- a new MED MOD II scenario game - and I have seen that BADSTRING etc... as empire name...

BTW... The computer actually made autosave in another folder... not where my original saved game was.(maybe this is a feature with CTP2 1.11)

Old December 27, 2000, 16:40   #5
skorpion59
Prince

Thanks, I got it and will look at it. If you think of anything else or learn something new please pass it along.

FYI, there also is a bug with the autosave. From other forum posts, I am assuming it was introduced with the new patch. I am not 100% sure because I never paid that much attention before applying the patch.

When autosave works correctly, it will create a new directory with the same name as your save game directory but using only the first 5 digits. When you start a new game, before you do anything at all, this directory and the autosave file will appear. To find out if it is working correctly, go to save a game as soon as your new game starts. You should see the directory BEFORE you save your game.
Old December 27, 2000, 16:55   #6
skorpion59
Prince

Great Dane (and others)

What exactly do you mean by second save? Sorry but I can not reproduce the problem myself so I have to count on others info and files. The more detailed, the better it is.

Do you mean you started a game, played a while, saved the game, exited CtP2, came back later, started CtP2, loaded that saved game, played a while, saved the game again, exited CtP2, came back later, started CtP2, tried to load the second game you had saved and it abended?

With scenarios in general, how you do something and in what order you do them is very important. Also, any time you get an error, shut down and restart windows before going back into CtP2.
Old December 27, 2000, 17:27   #7
Coflek

Just to let you know, now I started a standard new game, and everything is fine, i played 59 turns, no crash, saved the game in the folder created automatically (for autosave) exited to CTP2, loaded it. - fine. Once again exited completly (shutdown CTP2) started again - fine.

I did a couple of moves after loading, just to make sure that it works... so the mistake is definitly within MED MOD II, but the good thing is that it doesn't affect the standard game!!!

Old December 27, 2000, 17:55   #8
Avalon_Grey
Settler

Local Time: 09:50
Im running 1.1 here, Im telling you heres something wacky in the way its loading the scen info from the save files and what files it uses..

(see my post with the varible names in it under the med mod post)

Skorp are you able to repro it from the save i sent you?
[This message has been edited by Avalon_Grey (edited December 27, 2000).]
Old December 27, 2000, 20:08   #9
Coflek

I have done some more playtesting this evening, started a new game, played eighty turns and here are the results regarding the save error.

1. it is different from the error I had in the previous game.

2. It comes with the second save of the game, regardless if you save and go straight to CTP2 (to start a new game) or if you save exit CTP'2 completly and than start CTP2, load the game - it crashes again.

The error message is the same 'GU104.spr not found in asset tree' fault.

It doesn't seem to do anything with the extra folder created by autosave... i tried to save the standard game in that extra folder and it works fine, as well as saving the second save in the quicksave folder - still corrupt.

Scorpion I have now three corrupted save files and five working ones, the three corrupted ones are created a turn after one of the working saves, so if you want any of them I can send.

Old December 28, 2000, 05:07   #10
GreatDane
Settler

Local Time: 10:50
[quote]Originally posted by skorpion59 on 12-27-2000 03:55 PM
Great Dane (and others)

What exactly do you mean by second save? Sorry but I can not reproduce the problem myself so I have to count on others info and files. The more detailed, the better it is.

Do you mean you started a game, played a while, saved the game, exited CtP2, came back later, started CtP2, loaded that saved game, played a while, saved the game again, exited CtP2, came back later, started CtP2, tried to load the second game you had saved and it abended?

Yes, that is right. The funny thing is that all the games I had saved even the one i loaded the first time (which worked) does not work anymore. I can start a new scenario up and load the game from there but then the messages turn weird. I noticed that the game does not load the scenario files before it loads the game as it did the when it all worked. I think that is the problem.

btw. running v. 1.1

hope this helps.

Old December 28, 2000, 08:46   #11
Avalon_Grey
Settler

Looks like both the GPF the .SPR and the message bug are all consistant at this point, would actvision be able to comment or since where modding where in the un-supportable area?

Cause to me it sounds like the way the tree loads in on a mod is not happening on the second save, some form of corruption occurs, but then again i know so little about this.
Old December 28, 2000, 10:08   #12
skorpion59
Prince

I have got all the files and been able to reproduce the SPR errors. That and your continuing input helps out quite a bit so I would like to say Thanks. And please continue.

Fortunately (or rather unfortunately), I am now able to produce the errors in my own games so that will also give me some more insight. Must be that CtP2 virus which replecates and spreads itself via the saved files.

There has been discussion about trying to involve Activision. I don't know how successful that would be since they don't actually support scenarios. At the moment, most are gone for the holidays any way. If it keeps going in the direction it looks like, I am sure they will get bombarded regardless.

A couple of things. Keep your leaders first names to at least 6 characters and see if this will fix the autosave and save file in the same directory problem. It fixes it for me (but I also delete the whole directory structure related to my leader before I start a brand new game). And second, always reboot windows after you get an error in CtP. (Yes, I harp on this but it keeps the problem from compounding on itself).

Again, Thanks.

[This message has been edited by skorpion59 (edited December 28, 2000).]
Old December 28, 2000, 10:35   #13
Pintello
Warlord

Hi All,

I have been play testing Med Mod II and I have not experienced the saved game problems. I am able to save a scenario game and then shut down the computer and come back later and load it with no problems and then continue using it.

A couple things about my setup. 1) I am using Windows 2000 sp1 on a K-6 233 with 64mb RAM. 2) I am using CTP2 patch 1.1, I did not need to use patch 1.11. 3) My leader name is Belisarius and I am playing the Byzantine Empire.

I notice a couple of things here that may have some affect on my game that results in the problem I am not experiencing. Those things are the patch I am using, the operating system I am using, and the fact that the leader name is over the 6 character minimum that skorp recommends.

Hope some of this helps.

Regards,
Timothy Pintello
Old December 28, 2000, 14:08   #14
Avalon_Grey
Settler

Ok just incase we need it..

OS Win98SE fully patched all drivers up to date
DX 8.0
TNT2
SB Live!
CTP2 1.1 American release
My Emperor name was Ava in this case

I do not delete the save tree prior..
Old December 28, 2000, 15:04   #15
Coflek

Win 98
DX 8.0
Ati Radeon
ctp2 1.11

Emperor Augustus was the name
[This message has been edited by Coflek (edited December 28, 2000).]

Old December 28, 2000, 21:05   #16
skorpion59
Prince

Avalon,
Yep, playing around with your Ava save game is how I figured out what was happening. That was the first time I had a leader name less than 6 characters.

Timothy,
Same thing here, no problems and them bam, nothing but problems. How long do you play at a time, how far do you get into your games and how much of the map (other Civs) is uncovered?
Old December 29, 2000, 20:56   #17
Pintello
Warlord

Hi All,

This is a repost from what I posted in the Med Mod II thread but it is relevant for this thread too. It will also answer the questions that Skorp asked me.

I have now gotten the same saved game error that everyone else has been reporting. The error does not show up the first time you save a game and then load it. The error shows up when you have saved the game a second time and then try to load it at a later time.

Here are some observations I have made concerning the error. 1) It happens on the second saved game. 2) If I load the first game I saved then try to load the second saved game on top of that, the game loads fine, but it is now using the full scenario files rather than the Domestic scenario files that is was created under. 3) If I start a new game using the Med Mod II Domestic Scenario and then try to load the second saved game over it, again, I get the full files rather than the Domestic version of the scenario.

I can tell it is the full files version rather than the Domestic because it includes a lot of units not found in the Domestic version of the Mod.

Wes, could you upload a Med Mod II Pak that just contains the altered files and nothing else? It would be interestion to see what types of behavior the game exhibits with just that type of pack instead of the combined pak that you now use.

Well that is all I have right now. I hope some of it helps with resolving the problem. I will repost this under Skorp's thread so that he can see this also.

Timothy Pintello

Old January 3, 2001, 08:16   #18
Coflek

just to ask did anyone discover a solution for this bug?

Old January 3, 2001, 18:18   #19
skorpion59
Prince

As far as a correct fix, No. That is going to have to come from Activision. I totally corrupted my CtP2 installation and had to delete it and start over. I am still looking into a number of ugly fixes such as putting files in default directories, modifying the paths.txt, etc but don't find them a viable answer. Also, it takes quite a bit of playing to actually find out if something works or not.

We are back to the CtP1 pathing issues. For some reason, Activision seems unable to make this engine support graphics, etc in scenario directories.
Old January 4, 2001, 06:07   #20
WesW
Apolytoners Hall of Fame

Damn.
Is there a reliable work around such as starting a new scenario game, and then loading the saved game you want to continue playing?
Old January 8, 2001, 15:36   #21
Radical_Manuvr
Chieftain

I think I solved the problem.

Look at the ww2 scenario folder. There is a file there called anet.inf. Copy that file to your main scenario folder (the one below Scenarios, Alexnew for example). I have not had one problem loading saved scenario games since I did that. Before, I couldn't load any saved scenario games except the ww2 scenario, not even with any of the workarounds. I didn't go back and try to load any games saved before I copied the file over, so I don't know if that will work or not. It may only work with games started after you copy the file. Good luck. Hope this works for everyone.
Old January 9, 2001, 10:34   #22
GreatDane
Settler

The anet.inf file solved the problem for me.

Thanks Radical_Manuvr
That is a nice bit of detective work from you, good job.

Old January 10, 2001, 11:58   #23
skorpion59
Prince

Doesn't fix my problems. Is there something else you could of done? If not, remove anet and see what happens.

Edit:
Are you using Harlan or Wes' mod and which version is it?

[This message has been edited by skorpion59 (edited January 10, 2001).]
Old January 10, 2001, 14:13   #24
GreatDane
Settler

I guess I got exited too soon. The problem is back after some more testing.

I think we will have to hope for a fix from Activision to this problem.
Old January 10, 2001, 14:18   #25
Martock
Warlord

Local Time: 04:50
unfortunately it didn't work for me either. i've put the anet file in my saved games folder, my scenario folder, in the med mod folder...put that dang thing just about every where i could...no change...then i took it out of where i put it...no change...put it just it the main scenario folder, no change...NUTS...

to make matters worse, now i'm getting booted out to windows every 20-30 turns or so...i've currently got Wes's mod installed. this booting happens in both this Mod and the standard game for me...so it looks like i'll be stuck reinstalling it once again. sigh...
Old January 10, 2001, 14:45   #26
skorpion59
Prince

I have put this on hold until I hear something from Activision about whether or not they are going to address this issue.
Old January 10, 2001, 15:32   #27
Ioannes
Settler

I was having a similar problem when I was running DirectX 8.0. I formatted my hardrive and went back to DirectX 7.0a and the problem disappeared. I also now use the method of beginning a new scenario game then loading the game I really want to play. For your information I'm running an Athlon 600, 256MB, and Windows 98 second edition with DirectX 7.0a now.
Old January 10, 2001, 20:11   #28
Radical_Manuvr
Chieftain

The only other change I made between not being able to load saved scenario games and being able to load them was to get the updated Alex files for the playtesters. Harlan didn't mention any fix to this problem so I'm assuming the anet.inf did it. I have no idea how he's updating the game file (map) so maybe it was something he did there. I haven't had time to try Med Mod yet so I don't know if it would work with that one or not. I'm sorry it doesn't seem to be working for others, but sure glad it did for me. I'll try removing the anet.inf file and see if I crash again. Probably won't report back til tomorrow though.
Old January 10, 2001, 20:38   #29
Radical_Manuvr
Chieftain

Decided to try removing anet.inf right away since I'm updating some other files in a few. I removed anet.inf, started a new game, advanced one turn, saved, quit completly, started CTP2 again, loaded the save and it worked. Then I loaded the saved game while still in the save and that worked too.

I guess it must be something Harlan did after all because I couldn't do either of those loads before. Sorry, for setting anyone on the wrong track. Glad now that I decided to add "I think" to my post. I'm putting anet.inf back just in case, but I guess that wasn't the solution. It's so nice to be able to load saves again! The above was all with the Alexander scenario.
Old January 10, 2001, 23:17   #30
BlueO
Warlord

Local Time: 01:50
Well, the fix I use is to make sure you launch a new game with the mod first. Do not load any saved games from the title screen. Wait until you are in the new game, then load from there. So far, I have been able to load all the saved games consistenly. If I load a saved game from the title screen, then any saved games I make from there, would be corrupted and unusable after I exit the program.