Old February 6, 2001, 20:53   #1
XMon
Warlord

Local Time: 04:52
Local Date: October 31, 2010
DiploFrenzy madness...
No, it's not what you think...I'm not getting my rear kicked...it's the AI. I started up a little mod experiment, I've got Diplomod, AIFrenzy, changed some unit values and I've reduced the cost of almost everything buildable by 35-60% depending on what it is and where it falls in the timeline. Why cut the costs? 1) I want to see what the AI can do with more units available and 2) I want to field a decent army and navy. I found that in CTP2 I could not support nearly as many units as I could in CTP.

What's the prob?? The barbarians are KILLING the AI civs. I'm on a small continent by myself (having expunged my neighbors) and have handled the barbs no problemo but it's 575 BC and of the eight original civs there's only me and two others! It's kind of taking the fun out of the game...I have no one to "diplo" with.

Is it the combination of Diplomod and AIFrenzy? Anyone else experienced this? Or is it that my cost cutting moves caused the problem? I'd think if you cut the cost, then you cut the cost for everyone and we'd all be on equal footing, barbs and civs alike.

Btw, it's Huge map with eight civs and Very Hard setting. Maybe I need to try Impossible. Any ideas?
Old February 6, 2001, 22:20   #2
Alpha Wolf
Chieftain

Local Time: 09:52
Local Date: October 31, 2010
in almost all AI strategies, the AIs build the minimum garrisons then start working on wonders and or buildings. Thus they dont have much defense against the barbarians. if you didnt increase the garrisons in the strategies.txt, then most of those AI cities will only have 1 or 2 defenders.

Take a look in the AI forum under the thread I started about "AI without SLIC" and you'll get some more answers as we are discussing this very topic.

------------------
History is written by the victor.