Old January 26, 2001, 09:50   #61
Colonel Kraken
PtWDG Legoland
Warlord

Local Time: 04:53
Local Date: October 31, 2010
YES! I have had this problem also, but I have only used my own modifications. I have added advances, units, and a couple of wonders/improvements. I am very puzzled by this also. I don't know why it happens.

Although it's very odd, it does not really affect gameplay because there is no way for the AI to build enough obelisks to make the wonder. So I just continue playing. The only problem is the AI devoting resources to the Gaia Controller instead of other things. Oh well.

If anyone knows why this would happen, please let me know. As magma12 says, the computer obtains the pre-req advance for Gaia but does not have ANY of the pre-req's for THAT advance. Very strange.

[This message has been edited by Colonel Kraken (edited January 26, 2001).]
Old January 26, 2001, 11:57   #62
magma12
Chieftain

Local Time: 09:53
Well, I have remove the Frenzy and try again. It still
happen it is not date that trigger it, it is just a few turn
after I aquire explosive. I double check advance.txt and wonder.txt there is no change to the gain control tech.

Odd, isn't it?
Old January 28, 2001, 20:41   #63
Dale
Emperor

Local Time: 19:53
The one that annoys me is the message I get when I discover the tech for the solaris project (don't know what it is) and it then tells me I've built the solaris project. Funny, I don't remember turning a city onto that. Hey look, it's still in my building options. Hmmmmm.............

------------------
Author of Diplomod. The mod to fix diplomacy.

Rommell to a sub-commander outside Tobruk: "Those Australians are in there somewhere. But where? Let's advance and wait till they shoot, then shoot back."
Old January 29, 2001, 19:22   #64
MR. SADDAM

THe AI are trespassers Regardless.What you do is reverse thinking.Be like the AI. Go into there border ,fortify near there capitol, and use there roads. More often then not they will ask you to leave.tell them no

Old January 29, 2001, 22:52   #65
Dale
Emperor

Or download 'withdraw' from the files db and have them automatically expelled for you when they agree.

------------------

Rommell to a sub-commander outside Tobruk: "Those Australians are in there somewhere. But where? Let's advance and wait till they shoot, then shoot back."
Old January 30, 2001, 14:22   #66
John Barbarossa
Warlord

Huge pat on the back to you Dale. I always admired those mod designers for the old Civ 2, but their work was as nothing compared to the challenge of getting CTP2 to behave more realistically. You are to be praised for the mere attempt, but the fact you have pulled it off to such wide aclaim is to your great credit. Thanks.

On to my (probably silly) question. If you make the science pact a part of the peace treaty (great idea btw, much more realistic) will it not mean that the science bug that gives the AI a new advance every turn or two be exaserbated?
Old January 30, 2001, 19:04   #67
Dale
Emperor

John, thanks. You got me all embarrased now.

As to your research question:
The research bug is unfortunately inherited into the diplo script due to the fact it's internal to CTP2.EXE. This is the same for the advance-for-gold bug. Sorry folks.

------------------

Old January 31, 2001, 00:16   #68
OmniGod
Civilization IV CreatorsCiv4 SP Democracy Game
Prince

It is me or am I just a really evil person. No matter when I ask for an exchange of even the basics (ie maps) the AI say nope, not going to happen. If I'm the big guy, or the guy in dead last (which is lengthening in each game with frenzy and diplomod) they're not interested. The one thing that is great now is that when I say leave and give them a little something they'll leave and not come back for at least 10 turns, which is more than enough to beef up security. The other thing I noticed occurs only when the AI has a city right on my border is they are much more willing to give that city (but no other one) to keep the peace, even if I'm not strong just have maybe 3 units in the vicinity. This has never happened to me. I'd like to finish (yea it seems like and essay to me) with a hearty congrats to Dale... this has so improved the game and made it that much tougher even on Impossible or as my game now says DEITY That was like the first thing that I did, heck with the game, I want the old familiar titles I love this mod and combine it with frenzy and activision doesn't hold a candle to you guys... nice job.

Rich - one day they'll give me their maps again, one day
Old January 31, 2001, 09:19   #69
Gwap
Chieftain

Not had that problem at all. Installed diplofrenzy half-way through a game though. Perhaps that may give you a lead?

------------------
Nostalgia isn't what it used to be
Old January 31, 2001, 09:25   #70
Gwap
Chieftain

Have you tried a jigsaw puzzle? It's been a while since any of those fought back and gave me a bit of a challenge.

------------------
Nostalgia isn't what it used to be
Old January 31, 2001, 15:58   #71
MR. SADDAM

thanks it is done i d/l the ai diplomacy mod too. Why do they give away so much citys lol!!!! needs to be fixed

Old January 31, 2001, 17:58   #72
Dale
Emperor

Rich thanks, but I'm gunna be even more evil than you.

V3.2 (which I'll send across now) will make it a little harder to get their maps. I've always thought it was too easy for a human player to get maps from an AI, even in previous civ-type games. Now there's only a 1% chance you'll get it.

MWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!

BTW, how on earth did ya change the title to DEITY? I WANT IT!

------------------

Old February 1, 2001, 02:35   #73
Kull
lifer
King

Local Time: 02:53
As you guys pursue your various mods, keep in mind that the ultimate potential of CTP2 is still totally unknown. Those of us who poke around in the bowels of the ancient civ2 engine are still finding new ways to tweak the game. As an example, recent discoveries include:

1) Barbarian Wrath: A setting which creates Barbarian Hordes of between 80 and 100 units.
2) Amphibious units: A setting which allows units to travel on both land and sea.
3) Giga-maps: Maps 3 times larger than the supposed "upper limit".
4) Simultaneous Multiplayer: A setting which transforms Civ2 from turn-based to simultaneous move.
5) Life after Death: Events which allow two units to engage in combat, at the end of which neither unit is dead.

I could go on, but I think you get the point. Think big, think different, but above all never say never!

Note to John Barbarossa: Praising Einstein is OK, but one doesn't have to denigrate the work of Archimedes in the process.
Old February 1, 2001, 17:27   #74
Dale
Emperor

Don't worry, I'm an Aussie. We always think bigger than we should.

All I need now is an idea for the AI. Anyone? Anyone?

------------------

Old February 1, 2001, 22:25   #75
OmniGod
Prince

v3.2 fixed that problem Saddam...
Old February 6, 2001, 17:26   #76
WesW
Apolytoners Hall of Fame

Local Time: 03:53
Here is a thread to ask questions about topics not covered in the "Conversations" thread. Please restrict your questions to AI behavior. To my knowledge, Richard can't do anything about bugs or multi-player problems.
Old February 6, 2001, 22:13   #77
Alpha Wolf
Chieftain

I've noticed that wars between AIs will too frequently cease as soon as I land on their continent with any military units. I just wanted to create a little foothold to get a better view of their war to see how they fight among themselves. I'd been watching many cities change hands by sound (marching boots) and by city borders changing. As soon as I landed, both sides fortified and the war seemed to end. Was this probably just coincedence, or a game design?

Second, how can I keep the barbarians from ever changing out of the barbarian strategy? Altho I'd like them to minimally build garrisons and buildings when they capture a city, I mainly want them to pump out tons of units. My latest theory is that they seem to change to the default strategy as soon as they get a few cities and/or I build the great wall. I do love seeing the Vandals and Visigoths I must admit and had given a small ability to them in the barbarian strategy to expand. They also tend to become totally passive thus my theory that they've changed strategies to default.

Thirdly, how can we force barbs and AI units to stack before they attack? I just had 2 stacks of barbs attack one by one instead of forming an army. Being that rally is part of siege and attack i would have expected the entire stack to have attacked together.

Thanks.

------------------
History is written by the victor.
[This message has been edited by Alpha Wolf (edited February 07, 2001).]
Old February 7, 2001, 00:54   #78
OmniGod
Prince

Can he help out on the adding terrain ideas that I had in the creation forum? Or who can I get in contact with for that, if anyone?
Old February 7, 2001, 21:21   #79
WesW
Apolytoners Hall of Fame

Local Time: 03:53
AW, this paste fron the strategies.txt should answer your second question.

STRATEGY_BARBARIAN {

// must inherit from default
Inherit STRATEGY_DEFAULT

This means that the Bars will use the default settings unless new ones are listed in their section.
Old February 7, 2001, 22:14   #80
Alpha Wolf
Chieftain

quote:

Originally posted by WesW on 02-07-2001 08:21 PM
AW, this paste fron the strategies.txt should answer your second question.

STRATEGY_BARBARIAN {

// must inherit from default
Inherit STRATEGY_DEFAULT

This means that the Bars will use the default settings unless new ones are listed in their section.

This is true, however, they should using the barbarian strategy but instead are buildings wonders and buildings which means they switched to the default. My theory was towards the "why" not the "what". No doubt in my mind that they switch but I cant figure out the circumstances that cause the switch. I cant change the default strategy for fear that it will have adverse effects on the other civs especially new breakaway civs. I'd like to keep the barbarians confined to their own strategy so i can define their behavior in a primarily barbarians way

Just call me Prince of the Barbarians OOPS, make that Settler of the Barbarians

------------------
Old February 8, 2001, 14:31   #81
Locutus
Apolytoners Hall of FameCiv4 SP Democracy GameCiv4 InterSite DG: Apolyton TeamBtS Tri-LeagueC4BtSDG TemplarsC4WDG Team ApolytonCivilization IV CreatorsCTP2 Source Code ProjectPolyCast Team
Deity

Local Time: 11:53
Sorry, wrong thread.
[This message has been edited by Locutus (edited February 08, 2001).]
Old February 8, 2001, 17:57   #82
Dale
Emperor

John:
As far as I knew peace treaties don't give you any other agreements. I know the icons don't show up on the intelligence screen, but I may be wrong. Great, now I'm all confused........

------------------

Old February 8, 2001, 23:56   #83
Alpha Wolf
Chieftain

quote:

Originally posted by pchang on 02-08-2001 12:52 PM
All you have to do is fill in the Barbarian strategy and get rid of the inherit STRATEGY_DEFAULT line.

I tried that once and got all kind of errors. At some point the AI expects the barbarians to switch and if it cant, LOOKOUT!!!!

------------------
Old February 9, 2001, 01:44   #84
John Barbarossa
Warlord

Kull,
That IS big news on the Civ2 front, especially the gigamaps which make me wonder how a giga-Europe might look.

As for denigrating C2 mod efforts, it is important to realise that their efforts were only viewed unfavourably compared to the greater effort of ridding the underachieving and user-unfriendly CTP2 (although the type of differances in the game you discussed may take similar depths of advanced technical knowledge - I don't know). Without any point of reference, I would like to make it clear that C2 modifiers added 12 months onto the life of C2 for me and my circle of friends (prior to the multi-player version) without ever asking me for a penny.

As I seem to be in the business of handing out pats on the back, I hope you and your fellow C2 modifyers will accept one as well Lots of games receive fan support, but Civ, in all it's incarnations, has attracted some of the most intelligent and generous people to it over the years.

Regards
John
[This message has been edited by John Barbarossa (edited February 08, 2001).]
Old February 9, 2001, 01:49   #85
John Barbarossa
Warlord

Dale,

Any chance of a version that disables automatic science and trade pacts when makng a peace treaty with the AI? With the apppalling bugs embedded into the main exe that give your new ally an unfair advantage in the tech market, I fear your (more realistic) interpretation of peace treaties may be being undermined by Activision. As there is no simple way of ending a trade and science pact in-game without upsetting your AI 'friend' in other ways, perhaps this is a step to far for the Diplomod?

If there is no consensus for such a change, perhaps you could tell a CTP mod-novice how to make the changes myself?

Thanks
John

[This message has been edited by John Barbarossa (edited February 08, 2001).]
Old February 9, 2001, 01:52   #86
pchang
King

All you have to do is fill in the Barbarian strategy and get rid of the inherit STRATEGY_DEFAULT line.
Old February 9, 2001, 18:22   #87
pchang
King

In that case, look at the other thread to see how to create a new strategy and inherit from that one instead.