Old February 9, 2001, 05:42   #1
PrinceBimz
Prince

Local Time: 03:54
Local Date: October 31, 2010
I thought the AI was not very good???
I have been playing on the easier levels and it was indeed fairly easy. So I tried the very hard level for the first time about 20 minutes ago. Yep thats correct 20 minutes ago. I figured some people said how easy the AI was so what the heck I give it a try on very hard. Well what was I supposed to do when the AI torn into each of my cities extremely early with Slavers? Then I had barbarians beating my settlers to death.

Besides I had watched the AI setup a fortification adjacent to my MAIN city. It built up a stack of 4 Archers in that fortification over a couple of turns. Then I was thinking, well it probably won't attack according to what others say. WRONG! It attacked alright, took over the city and headed straight for my other ones with a bigger army. Of course with the Slavers I could not build up a big enough army that quick to stop this. I did not have enough population, I did have the city to 6 but those Slavers brought it down!

All of this happened very early before I could have a chance to do anything! So what is this about the AI not attacking? I take it many must be talking about the easier levels unless my experience and position was rare. Maybe it was the way the random map was setup or something, I don't know. But I got the hell beat out of me because I could not do anything in that situation. I feel the AI is not NEAR as bad as others say it is because of what I seen here. Anyone else had an experience like this early in the game before you had a chance to do anything?

I remember even playing on one of the easier levels where the AI had sent Destroyers up and down my coast destroying ever net and improvement I had built! Of course I was surprised means I heard the AI don't use naval units. Anyway I was forced to build ships or planes to sink those Destroyers.

Old February 9, 2001, 08:37   #2
ChaosSpeeder
Settler

Local Time: 09:54
In my opinion, the AI becomes weaker and weaker, the longer the game lasts. At the end, there are no more attacks.

try the frenzy ai, as a solution.

bye, Andre
Old February 9, 2001, 12:50   #3
OmniGod
Civilization IV CreatorsCiv4 SP Democracy Game
Prince

Local Time: 04:54
Can't always trust what others are saying can you But Andre is correct in that the AI gets weaker with time as you are able to buildup and repel anything they sent at you. With the frenzy and diplomod combined it ups the ante a little bit and strengthens their stand substantially over the long run (but isn't perfect by any means). Most of the comments on those two mods are based on Impossible level playings, and I hope most of the comments/complaints about the AI come from people at Very Hard or Impossible since the AI at lower levels is truely a push over. Give those mods a try and see some real toughness come your way.