Old January 24, 2001, 16:42   #1
Dale
Emperor

Local Time: 19:54
Local Date: October 31, 2010
Diplomod V3.0
Well, the beta got sent out this morning just now, so let's just wait and see what the verdict is. For those who are interested, these are the features (taken directly from the readme):

- AI will not by default refuse another AI's proposal.
- AI has higher priorities for making proposals. This causes the AI to make more proposals.
- AI's will generate either positive or negative regard for each other.
- AI/Human interaction will be more agressive/demanding.
- Enabled trade and military pacts for peace treaty. I believe this to be more historically accurate.
- AI will build slightly more diplomats. (If suggested change of UnitBuildLists.txt is used)
- On average, an AI will make 6 considerations for proposals every 10 turns. This is an increase from Diplomod V2.2.
- AI has 3 different AI-Human diplomatic states being friendly, neutral and provoking.

Beta testers: we can discuss the mod here and propose changes/additions/fixes/whatever.

------------------
Author of Diplomod. The mod to fix diplomacy.

Rommell to a sub-commander outside Tobruk: "Those Australians are in there somewhere. But where? Let's advance and wait till they shoot, then shoot back."
Old January 24, 2001, 16:57   #2
MarkG

i dont know if you have covered this, but should try to have the ai explore as much as possible in order to meet more nations and thus have more chances for diplomatic interactions....

Old January 24, 2001, 19:27   #3
Dale
Emperor

Markos:
I don't know if it covers your suggestion as such (a good one too) but the AIs swap maps like anything. It doesn't take long before all the AIs know where the other civs are. Hence classed as 'explored'. This what you're thinking of?

------------------

Rommell to a sub-commander outside Tobruk: "Those Australians are in there somewhere. But where? Let's advance and wait till they shoot, then shoot back."
Old January 24, 2001, 20:49   #4
pjm44
Settler

Local Time: 09:54
I'm playing diplomod v3.0 as we speak.I have a couple of questions.
1. when I first meet a new civilization I'm not getting a greeting from them.
2.Is there any way for the ai not to give me a city when I ask for one?
Old January 24, 2001, 20:54   #5
MarkG

yeah, that's what i'm talking about

i guess i mentioned it cause i'm playing a game with 8 civs on the 210x210 greece map. it's rather huge and each ai knows 1-2 other civs at about 1000ad...

Old January 24, 2001, 21:12   #6
Dale
Emperor

quote:

Originally posted by pjm44 on 01-24-2001 07:49 PM
I'm playing diplomod v3.0 as we speak.I have a couple of questions.
1. when I first meet a new civilization I'm not getting a greeting from them.
2.Is there any way for the ai not to give me a city when I ask for one?

1 - I've noticed that in any of the mods I've written. I have no idea why it's not greeting, or how to force a greeting.

2 - You able to provide the specifics of the request to them? Like do you offer gold? Or just demand city? Threaten? Etc? Cuz I tried this quite a bit (after what happened in V2.2) and I never had the AI accept when I demanded a city.

quote:

yeah, that's what i'm talking about
i guess i mentioned it cause i'm playing a game with 8 civs on the 210x210 greece map. it's rather huge and each ai knows 1-2 other civs at about 1000ad...

Markos the AI's should be sending proposals to all AI's before they meet them. It's the biggest diplo-cheat I gave the AI. Pretty much all they do is swap maps in the early game, so it doesn't affect the game much.

------------------

[This message has been edited by Dale (edited January 24, 2001).]
Old January 25, 2001, 14:39   #7
OmniGod
Civilization IV CreatorsCiv4 SP Democracy Game
Prince

Local Time: 04:54
Dale...

Okay I just ran the mod thorough 150 turns and well I'm impressed it works nicely. The AI used almost every available request except for the treaties, I'm not sure if that's the idea of if the AI didn't think I was worth it... either way it was good. The only problem I have is with the early AI map trading before they met, I mean I met the Hebrews around turn 20 and I almost had the whole world mapped out by turn 25 when I met the indonesians. I traded maps and wow, I knew about the whole world... a glaring problem I believe since now I knew where pretty well everyone else was and then systematically went ahead and wiped them out... no exploring just leagues of warriors and knights or whatever I had at the moment and beat them. I don't think this is the best thing. Other than that I liked that the AI did try to barter a little more than usual but again when I was at war and they'd request I cease-fire, I counter with I want such and such a tech to stop attacking (and by this point they were down to maybe 2 cities) they refused. I'm not sure if this is fixable but I don't think anyone would want to keep fighting to keep say stone working a secret... it's a tech or it's your civ... most people would choose the civ... any suggestions on improving this?

Rich

BTW I got a greeting each time I met a new civ.
[This message has been edited by OmniGod (edited January 25, 2001).]
Old January 25, 2001, 15:44   #8
Don Quixote de la Mancha
Settler

Local Time: 01:54
Quick question. Where or how does one obtain this mod?
Old January 25, 2001, 15:47   #9
OmniGod
Prince

V3.0 is just being tested by a small group of people, but I should have the okay to post in the db later this weekend or early next week. For now v2.2 I believe is available in the db but there are a few flaws with it, but it will give you a sample of what is coming.

Rich
Old January 25, 2001, 16:03   #10
kormer
Chieftain

Diplomod 3.0 is also included in the latest beta release of my modern scenario. Why not kill 2 birds with one stone and check them both out.
Old January 26, 2001, 04:21   #11
Huysmans_666
Chieftain

Hey Dale,

I'm currently testing your new meta mod, it's great but before I actually meet some other civ's the game just crashes without even a errormessage !

I never had this before, it's occuring at random, one time I could play till 3000 bc other time 3600 bc but never for long.
It just strikes me as odd that I never had these crashes before !

Because of the lack of a message I don't know where it goes wrong, so I don't have a clou how to solve this !

Hope you can do something with it !
Old January 26, 2001, 14:59   #12
thanatos.tod
Settler

about that expansion thing...y dont u raise the explore lvl in personalities.txt to maximum fot all "chars" Wouldnt that help...then decrease the map exchange....

and about the greeting thing, there is a line in the diplomacy.slc thats not in your slc. its. try it! right now i cant test your mod...tomorrow!

MessageBox 'DIPLOMACY_POPUP_GREETING' { Text(ID_ACTION_STRING); Show(); }
Old January 27, 2001, 01:04   #13
magma12
Chieftain

Are there anyway we can demand the AI to stop fighting
with other AI? That would be a very nice addition to the game.
Old January 27, 2001, 16:48   #14
thanatos.tod
Settler

well just reinstalled for the 5th time, still, like Omnigod, around turn 22, mhh..y 22? Perhaps some magic number? Is this a sign?? Will we all be dead by 22.00 hours? Are we able to escape??
Old January 28, 2001, 01:06   #15
dennis_caver
Chieftain

I'm not using diplomod 2.2, but I think I found another
bug in the diplomacy area. The write up on 2.2 and 3.0
doesn't memtion fixing 'Research Pact'. Currently
research pact does not give any bonus in science
to the human but gives lots of science bonus to the
AI civ. I negotiated a R. Pact with this very small
and weak AI civ and their research jumped to almost
one advance per turn. Any comments??

Spelunk 'til ya puke,
Dennis
Old January 28, 2001, 01:35   #16
thanatos.tod
Settler

mmhh...can't get past turn 25...it always crashes on me between turn 21 and 25...damn
Old January 28, 2001, 01:59   #17
OmniGod
Prince

I had that same problem, it was turn 22 for me... but then I reinstalled and installed diplomod v3.0 and there hasn't been a problem... it probably had some problem with other changes that I made. It works, but hopefully it will mesh with other mods out there.
Old January 28, 2001, 17:55   #18
Dale
Emperor

For me it was turn 27 that I had the problem.

ANYWAYS! Big news on the diplomod front. I've done a heap of work over the weekend (sorry for the silence, we had a long weekend and I don't have net at home) and am proud to say......

- That crash to desktop bug is gone.
- AI won't give ya his cities.
- Have included a mod called Withdraw. It forces AI out of your territory when making withdraw_troop agreements. And it WORKS!
- AI will now definitely make embassies! (Though I had to cheat a little to get it to do it).

Will send out V3.1 to the testers to have some fun with. I'll keep you up-to-date.

------------------

Old January 28, 2001, 19:12   #19
heardie
Prince

Local Time: 20:54
quote:

Originally posted by Dale on 01-28-2001 04:55 PM
For me it was turn 27 that I had the problem.

ANYWAYS! Big news on the diplomod front. I've done a heap of work over the weekend (sorry for the silence, we had a long weekend and I don't have net at home) and am proud to say......

- That crash to desktop bug is gone.
- AI won't give ya his cities.
- Have included a mod called Withdraw. It forces AI out of your territory when making withdraw_troop agreements. And it WORKS!
- AI will now definitely make embassies! (Though I had to cheat a little to get it to do it).

Will send out V3.1 to the testers to have some fun with. I'll keep you up-to-date.

Oh come on, put us out of our misery and release this
Old January 28, 2001, 19:22   #20
Dale
Emperor

Just on the other comments about the mod:

Rich:
My purpose for the mod is to get agreements between AI's. However, due to how the game is internally programmed it'll never happen. At least I've got them to create embassys in V3.1 now.

Kormer:
You'll have to update the script to V3.1. It contains new bug/crash-fixes.

Huysmans:
That crash is now fixed. It had to do with how I was setting the AI's diplomatic states.

thanatos:
I'll try it tonight and see what happens. Though I suppose leaving diplomacy.slc in script.slc will do the same thing.

magma12:
That sort of thing would take a lot of reprogramming. Maybe I'll be able to do it one day.

dennis:
On the research pact, I think this is how it's supposed to work. I mean, you're so far ahead scientifically, there is no way 'their' research is going to benefit you as you have it. But your research will benefit them heaps! When the US discovers something, how long is it till their allies have it? Not very long.

Rich(again, I'm just scrolling down the list of comments):
The mod should mesh pretty well with others now. I've resolved the instability issues it had.

And last but not least......... heardie:
I'm a cruel SOB.

------------------

Old January 29, 2001, 01:02   #21
Triumphus Romanus
Chieftain

Triumphus demands ver 3.1
:-)

Well, pretty please. So far, I love what the mod has done for the game. The AI are now very active.

Keep up the good work, and let us know when this badboy is released for the great unwashed to try.
I love when the AI threatens me.....the punk. Only thing is now if he ticks me off, I demand his capital and then use it to mass produce units to use against him :-)
Old January 29, 2001, 01:22   #22
OmniGod
Prince

Has listened to TR's demands and has posted v3.1 in the db. Enjoy
Old January 29, 2001, 01:46   #23
Dale
Emperor

Thanks Rich.

BTW, I just took a look at the files db to see what new stuff there was. Saw diplomod updated and glanced at the figures. How accurate are those????????

quote:

Added: 28-Jan-2001
Hits: 218
Avg.Daily Hits: 218

I almost fell off my chair! I feel appreciated! Yay!

BTW, if anyone wants to translate the english to other languages, it would be appreciated. So far I've had requests sent to me for Swedish, German and French. All I known is Stray-yun.

------------------

[This message has been edited by Dale (edited January 29, 2001).]
Old January 29, 2001, 10:33   #24
OmniGod
Prince

The 218 is from your first release to-date... I updated the upload date since I added the new version therefore your perday average is well above what it should be.
Old January 29, 2001, 15:22   #25
Martina
Settler

Dale,

Your new 3.1 version runs perfectly, however with one glitch: Independent of the regard (ie even when I am in war with another civ), I nearly always get an advance as soon as I request it.

The "city-for-free" bug is eliminated, however now we seem to have an "advance-for-free-even-in-war" bug.

Martina
Old January 29, 2001, 15:50   #26
dennis_caver
Chieftain

quote:

Originally posted by Dale on

dennis:
On the research pact, I think this is how it's supposed to work. I mean, you're so far ahead scientifically, there is no way 'their' research is going to benefit you as you have it. But your research will benefit them heaps! When the US discovers something, how long is it till their allies have it? Not very long.

Hi Dale,

Thanks for good work and timely response. I would
agree with you about research pact except they soon
caught up and past me. They were 5 advances ahead
when I had enough and found something to Declare War
about. I don't see any other way to stop a Pact??

Thanks,
Dennis
Old January 29, 2001, 16:52   #27
Mephistopholes
Settler

Dale,
I noticed the same "advance-for-free-even-in-war"-bug like Martina.
I declared war to the AI, but in the next year I requested an advance, and he accepted it.

But all in all, I think this mod (apart from this bug) is quite perfect. :-)
Old January 29, 2001, 17:46   #28
Dale
Emperor

Thanks for the feedback Matina and Mephistopholes. The "advance-for-free-even-in-war" bug sounds interesting, because there is nothing in the mod that even touches on this one. Because of the "advance-for-gold" bug in the EXE file, I steered clear of advance requests totally. But I think I can see a way to halt this. Try this. At the bottom of "diplomod.slc" change the code to look like this:

Code:
///////////////////////////////////
// diplomacy.slc routines
///////////////////////////////////

HandleEvent(NewProposal) 'DIP_ProposalResponseEvent' pre {
	if(IsHumanPlayer(player[0])) {
                if(!(AtWarWith(player[0], player[1]))) {
		      ConsiderResponse(player[0].owner, player[1].owner, 100, 2);
                }
	} else {
It should be easy to find this section. By putting in this 'catch' it should halt the AI in it's more favourable diplomacy that I've programmed. Basically, if you're at war with an AI and make a request, it'll skip the more favourable considering statement and use the default CTP2 one.

Hope this helps and let me know.

Dennis:
There is actually coding in the game to have a "Break Agreement" diplomatic proposal. It's just not turned on. I'll take a look to see if there's a way to turn this on and it should allow you to break an agreement with an AI.

------------------

Old January 30, 2001, 01:52   #29
David Murray
Prince

Hmm. Downloaded and installed it today--met my first Civ, didn't get a greeting message...asked to exchange maps and promptly knew where every Civ was in the world circa 2900AD...not too impressed.

Couldn't you fix the Civs knowing where every other Civ is? I didn't test it further, but a Civ accepting an exchange of maps on first meeting a new civ...is that realistic?
Old January 30, 2001, 03:18   #30
Mister Pleasant

Sure the AI is too nice - but that's nothing new on this game. The mod (w/withdrawl) is pretty cool since diplomacy seems to do something now. Right on Dale! But still, this thing is close to being shelfware(which is a shame given the potential).