Old January 29, 2001, 14:47   #31
skorpion59
Prince

Local Time: 03:56
Local Date: October 31, 2010
BlueO,

I didn't see the SciFi mod on your page. Is it posted anywhere else yet?
Old January 29, 2001, 15:33   #32
OmniGod
Civilization IV CreatorsCiv4 SP Democracy Game
Prince

Local Time: 04:56
*cough*... database... *cough*

Rich - gotta do something about that cough.
Old January 29, 2001, 15:57   #33
BlueO
Warlord

Local Time: 01:56
quote:

Originally posted by Huysmans_666 on 01-29-2001 05:50 AM
Hey there,

I've played the mod for some time now and I'm thrilled, no errors no crashes, splendid, but there is one items which is not very realistic.

When I opened the trade manager, very early in the game and later on still, it said to me that if I were to trade the selfmade goode it would give me 3300-3500 per trade route per turn !!!

I created 10 of those and was richer than Bill himself within a couple of turns.
Therefore if you do this you can rushbuy everything in the game and that is not very realistic I think.

Is this a bug or a glitch in the mod ???

Its more of a ctp2 design feature. Ctp2 apparently uses some weird and inexplicable trade model. I've tried very hard and unsuccessfully to make all those selfmade goods a value of zero, but as you can see, i was unsuccessful. When those goods first come into existence, you can get an amazing amount of money for them. But within a few turns, prices of those goods will drop to like 1 or 2 gold per route when other civs start getting them too. Only the Black Market goods will remain very high, since there will be very few of those in the world. In the end, I left it as is. Overtime, all selfmade goods value will drop to a nearly worthless value, so I guess it will balance itself out. Still, I would rather set the value of those goods manually, if I can...but there doesn't seem to be a way to do it. Anyone else know?
Old January 29, 2001, 17:22   #34
Dale
Emperor

Local Time: 19:56
*offering Rich a butter menthol*

Butter menthol for that cough mate?

------------------
Author of Diplomod. The mod to fix diplomacy.

Rommell to a sub-commander outside Tobruk: "Those Australians are in there somewhere. But where? Let's advance and wait till they shoot, then shoot back."
Old January 31, 2001, 18:54   #35
Chris B
Warlord

Local Time: 04:56
Blue, there are some bugs in your new version. First, the sky dragon unit can't be selected, and both it and the sky citadel have no tifs (im sure you knew that). Also, whats it with you and all the erotic sprites??
For the next version you need the most powerful of em all, the BRITNEY Unit!
Old January 31, 2001, 19:06   #36
BlueO
Warlord

Hey, I only draw them the way it is! If those amazons want to go nude, who am I to argue, no?

Both Sky dragons and citadel were meant for the barbarian race only. That's why they can neither be selected or contains icons.
[This message has been edited by BlueO (edited January 31, 2001).]
Old January 31, 2001, 21:42   #37
skorpion59
Prince

LOL, Britney unit.

I'm afraid if you made that one I would have way to much fun killing it.

As for the Amazons, heck I wouldn't argue with them either. Besides that, the scanty outfits are to distract the males fighting them. It makes it easier to defeat them.
Old February 1, 2001, 04:11   #38
Huysmans_666
Chieftain

Local Time: 09:56
Hi there,

I just love your MOD really I do

I'm sure I downloaded your mod after the 22nd of january so it should be v1.03 but when I look it still says 1.01

What version do I have.

Oh and I posted this on another forum but maybe you can help me ! I installed your mod first, played a game, saved it, installed diplomod 3.1 and now when I try to open the savegame. it gives a error saying it misses a sprite file in the asset tree ???????

How do I fix this?
Old February 1, 2001, 21:44   #39
BlueO
Warlord

quote:

Originally posted by Huysmans_666 on 02-01-2001 03:11 AM

Oh and I posted this on another forum but maybe you can help me ! I installed your mod first, played a game, saved it, installed diplomod 3.1 and now when I try to open the savegame. it gives a error saying it misses a sprite file in the asset tree ???????

How do I fix this?

The problem isn't the diplomod, its ctp2. Everytime you want to load a scenario game, you have to launch a new game with the mod first, then from within the new game, load up your saved game. If you don't do this everytime you load up your saved game, then its too late. Your saved game is screwed up, it can't be fixed. In fact, if you are already getting the error, its too late for that saved game.
Old February 2, 2001, 04:16   #40
Huysmans_666
Chieftain

Well ain't that a $#%#@, start all over again, just when it was going right for me.

Well thanx for the explanation !
Old February 7, 2001, 20:02   #41
Ioannes
Settler

I'm enjoying this mod very much. I'm looking forward to later in the game when I have to struggle to survive instead of just mopping up.
However, I'm having the black screen problem. I can't find the Battleview.ldl other than the original one. How can I fix this problem?
Old February 8, 2001, 19:11   #42
BlueO
Warlord

In the battleview.ldl, look for the BattleViewTerrainTable block. Change the numstrings to 46. Then add these lines to the end of that block.

string string26 "bv001.tga"
string string27 "bv002.tga"
string string28 "bv003.tga"
string string29 "bv004.tga"
string string30 "upbg007.tga"
string string31 "bv000.tga"
string string32 "bv000.tga"
string string33 "bv000.tga"
string string34 "bv000.tga"
string string35 "bv000.tga"
string string36 "bv000.tga"
string string37 "bv000.tga"
string string38 "bv000.tga"
string string39 "bv000.tga"
string string40 "bv000.tga"
string string41 "bv000.tga"
string string42 "upbg007.tga"
string string43 "bv000.tga"
string string44 "upbg007.tga"
string string45 "upbg007.tga"

Old February 18, 2001, 01:51   #43
Chernobyl
Settler

I think the city expansion feature is great, but I really don't like the road building feature. You said that the code automatically uses PW to build roads immediately around cities. Sometimes there are more important things like preventing my city from starving, when I need other things than roads. How do I turn this feature off?

And another bug I found. When selecting empire nationalities, the names of the rulers and the countries are one apart. I pick China and get canadian names, etc.

Thanks if you can fix these major/minor bugs.

------------------
Don't nuke it
[This message has been edited by Chernobyl (edited February 18, 2001).]
Old February 28, 2001, 01:26   #44
Nuo
Settler

Hello.

Whenevery I try to play your mod, I get the error "Could not find CONCEPT_INDUSTRIAL_AGE in string database. I copied gl_str.txt into the mod files, but it didn't help.

Any Ideas on how to correct this?
Old March 1, 2001, 18:54   #45
WesW
Apolytoners Hall of Fame

Blue, I remember you saying a while back that you had made new sprites of the Amazons that were much smaller than the original ones. Where can I get these? The ones on Omni's site are the old, huge sized ones.
Old March 3, 2001, 20:07   #46
Nuo
Settler

My review of the Alternate Sci-Fi Mod (before it crashed for good)

First let me start with the things that I like...

The city expansion graphics are beautiful. Unfortunately for me, I had the the city graphics mod installed which made it so after the renaissance the core city graphic and the sprawl graphics were always one age off. The loss of productivity from not being able to build farms under the sprawl I think is adequately offset by the fact that you can trade the goods to other civs. I was actually quite gratified that there was a market for my civilization's celebrities and businessmen. Good riddance!
Someone posted that the value of said trade routes were insanely high. This is true, but after saving and restarting my game once (and ever after) the goods' value went back to a normal level.

Also, the frenzy AI is challenging to play against (in the first two levels, at least)
In my game (playing the Japanese), I had an alliance with the French who were small and, I thought, rather non-threatening. They sent some settlers through my territory and built two cities in some swamp I wasn't interested in in the southern end of my empire. I ignored them for 400-some years while I concentrated on the English and Nigerians who were waging a very competent war on my northern frontier. Suddenly the French show up in the middle of my territory with three stacks of 12 infantry, and proceed to take over fully half of my empire before I could stop them. They didn't even bother to cancel our alliance. This kind of Machiavellian backstabbing would never have happened with the regular AI. It made the game quite challenging.

Now for stuff that, while interesting, I didn't think worked so well.

The Amazons are waaaay to powerful and seriously unbalancing. In the version I downloaded (1.03), the Amazon governments were *not* required to build the amazon units. In the early game, the combat bonuses of the amazon warrior and archer are small, but in large stacks the comulative effect makes them invincible. I wiped out two empires with one stack of 10 amazons, then felt like I should stop there because I felt it would be unsporting

Ditto for the Bowazon and the Rake. The bowazon has nearly the ranged attack of a cannon, moves twice as fast, and is available right at the beginning of the renaissance. I know the bowazon is expensive to build initially, but the fact that they can almost never lose at that stage of the game makes them quite economical as well. Many stacks of 12 fell to my stack of two bowazons and two valkyries.

The rake has a higher attack than infantry, cavalry, and the fascist and is available earlier. I used a stack of four to wipe out 12 English cities guarded with infantry and catapults.

I suppose the above would all be fair if the AI used the same units against me, but the AI barely uses Amazons at all, and then hardly ever effectively. On a couple occasions the AI used a rake to "assassinate" my border guards, which was interesting (but by then I had tanks...)

I reckon if the Amazons were (a.) restricted to Amazon governments, and (b.) *disbanded* when the government was changed they might not be so unbalancing. Also, if under those governments the AI gave priority to those units, or even built them exclusively (now *that* would be a challenge!!)

I can't say much about the zombies, as I think they may have crashed my game. By chance in my game they showed up on a small island and were very slow getting off. I sent a squadron of 6 interceptors to try to take out a stack of three, but they fell quickly to the zombies' anti-air zombie weapons. C'est le guerre...
The best way to deal with them that I came up with is to catch them in the shallow water and pound them with submarines.

All in all, great mod! This is the most fun I've had playing civilisation yet!
Old November 15, 2001, 20:47   #47
vette_21
Settler

Zombie Crash
Did anyone else have a problem with the mod crashing once the zombies were taken care of????