Old March 3, 2001, 01:05   #1
WesW
Apolytoners Hall of Fame

Local Time: 03:56
Local Date: October 31, 2010
Guess what I'm playing?
Come on, guess......

Yes, the beta is finally up and running, well sort of.
I am using Paul's modswapper program, and I am having some difficulty with the terrain features. Certain terrain features are screwed up, and I don't know why. Most, but not all, of the deep water type has a ring of colors around it, like you get when you mis-match terrains, like putting deep water next to land. Also, sometimes shallow water shows up using the hills graphics. The worldmap colors are also screwed up.
I have not even altered any of the map files, and the game should be using the same ones it does for the regular game. And no, this problem does not show up when I switch back to the standard files.

Any ideas here?

Also, I have discovered that the newsprite.txt is not loaded when using modswapper. I will contact Paul and see if he can do something about this.
Old March 3, 2001, 12:03   #2
Bluevoss
Prince

Local Time: 09:56

TORMENT ME NO LONGER!

Aghh, I can't stand it.

Urgently waiting your mod, Wes. I can wait for cities to become evolving problems, not the army-factories they are now.

------------------
Bluevoss-
Old March 3, 2001, 15:53   #3
preacherman
Chieftain

Local Time: 04:56
Wes, see you have the bata on your web site, will we need to doneload parts 1-3 or only the text when you get it up?
Old March 3, 2001, 20:59   #4
WesW
Apolytoners Hall of Fame

Everyone will have to download all four components, due to the new sprite system and some other things. Once Morgoth gets some new units made, people will need to get a graphics update for subsequent betas and/or the public release. The sprites necessary for the beta are already posted, if you want to go ahead and get them. I have the pics up too, but they are missing a couple of advances, so you may want to hold off on getting them just yet.

I have run into some more problems with the beta, due to the new file naming system and the modswapper. I have been working with Paul on the problem, but I need to get help from Wouter as well, and he is not online tonight.
I have the modswapper up on my site, but I will take it down, since Paul is going to have to make another version of it. When it finally is working correctly, everyone will have to use it as well. Once the problems are worked out, I think everyone will want to use it for their mods, so it's not like it is just for the Med mod.

So, just be patient, and hopefully the beta will be up and running in the next couple of days.
Old March 3, 2001, 22:07   #5
Bluevoss
Prince

Wes, question...

When we play your mod, do we HAVE to use the new units, or can we play with the original units?

------------------
Bluevoss-
Old March 4, 2001, 11:43   #6
Paul
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

Local Time: 10:56
I think I have the problems solved now. Some were with the Med Mod and some were with the Modswapper. I made a new version of the Modswapper which I am now testing. I will also send it to Wes, so that he can also test it. When we have tested it and eveything works Wes can put the new version on his site.
Old March 5, 2001, 05:53   #7
WesW
Apolytoners Hall of Fame

Blue, you could take the units out without a whole lot of trouble if you wanted to, but it would take the heart out of the mod.

Most everything has been worked out. There are a few problems with a couple of the slic triggers that I want fixed, and I am waiting for Harlan to get back to me on the last two pics. I should have the beta up in the next 24hrs.
Old March 5, 2001, 11:42   #8
Ganja
Chieftain

Wes

I just looked over at your site and noticed Beta 1.0 has maybe been posted. I went to download the modswapper but I get the error message "file does not exist"

Is the beta avaliable ?
Old March 5, 2001, 23:59   #9
WesW
Apolytoners Hall of Fame

Everyone, I need some help.

There is a syntax error in this trigger. It needs to be fixed, or else the mod will not work properly. I have done all that I know to do, and cannot find the problem.

// at turn 125, turn off start strategies
HandleEvent(BeginTurn) 'MM2_TurnOffStartStrategies' post {
if (g.year == 125) {
SetStrategicState(player[0], StrategyDB(player[0].leaderperonality));
}
}

If the bug cannot be found, I will have to change all kinds of things in the mod, and it will never work like it should.

I have been having some mis-communication with people lately, or else my email is not working properly once again. Anyway, I have not heard back from the people I emailed yesterday regarding the last pieces of the mod. I am going to wait another day and see if I can't get in touch with them somehow. I also need this trigger corrected.

I have taken the modswapper down, awaiting the arrival of a new version.
Old March 6, 2001, 00:22   #10
Bluevoss
Prince

Lemme first point out that I know nothing about slic. Just guessing. But in what you displayed, is the variable "leaderperonality" correct? I thought I saw a leaderpersonality. Is it a typo?

This is a long, laim shot. Hope it helps.

------------------
Bluevoss-
Old March 6, 2001, 00:37   #11
Dale
Emperor

Local Time: 19:56
Wes:
If StrategyDB is the same as DiplomacyDB (which I assume it will be), then you won't be able to use player[0].leaderperonality as a reference. I wanted to do something similar to you but found I couldn't use anything except actual diplomacy.txt references. For example, you'd need to change the line to:

SetStrategicState(player[0], StrategyDB(STRATEGY_DEFAULT));

or set a variable to the DB index and reference it that way (see the PW mod):

dbindex = StrategyDB(STRATEGY_DEFAULT);
SetStrategicState(player[0], dbindex);

------------------
Rommell to a sub-commander outside Tobruk: "Those Australians are in there somewhere. But where? Let's advance and wait till they shoot, then shoot back."
Old March 6, 2001, 01:25   #12
janilxx
Warlord

Local Time: 11:56
Damn, I sweared that I won't register only for forum but this was a good reason

> // at turn 125, turn off start strategies
> HandleEvent(BeginTurn) 'MM2_TurnOffStartStrategies' post {
> if (g.year == 125) {
> SetStrategicState(player[0], StrategyDB(player[0].leaderperonality));
> }
> }

I suppose that "leaderperonality" is not a correct word. How about "leaderpersonality" see the "s" I hope this was the reason of the error and we will now finally get the beta out

Old March 6, 2001, 01:29   #13
Paul
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

I have just mailed Wes about the new version of Modswapper. As far as I can tell it should be working now.
Old March 6, 2001, 02:06   #14
Kull
lifer
King

Local Time: 02:56
janilxx: You registered in vain. Bluevoss suggested the same thing two posts earlier.
Old March 6, 2001, 02:29   #15
Paul
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

Leaderperonality is not the problem. The s was originally in the code, but I deleted it because I got an error message that it didn't exist. A look at the slic documentation here showed that apparently Activision made a typo when they programmed slic and never bothered to fix that.
Old March 6, 2001, 09:03   #16
WesW
Apolytoners Hall of Fame

Ok, modswapper and pictures are posted. If you got the pics previously, they will work, but I just found out that some of them are a different size than they should be, and will stick out of their box in the units tab.

That just leaves the texts.
Dale, I have a feeling that you are right about the trigger. The code is so simple for it, something like a non-working variable would seem to be the most likely cause for the error.
One thing I noticed is that the error messages kept popping up for each line in the trigger. Don't know if this means anything.

Right now, I need to go to bed. When I get up, I will tackle the problem of how best to deal with the absence of the trigger. Once I get that figured out, and make some other miscellaneous changes, I will post the texts and we will be on our way. This will probably be tonight, Apolyton time.

If it makes any of you feel any better, I am still finding glitches in the files, so if I had posted the mod sooner, you would have had to go right back and get the texts again. Once it is up, expect FREQUENT updates, espcially in the first few days. This mod is just so enormous. I have gone over most everything at least once, but I am sure there are little things out there I missed.

The Great Library will largely not work, at least not right now. I have not done anything to it yet except make sure all the items are present in it. The info on those items is not correct, unless it is something that has not been changed in the mod from the original settings.
I am hoping that Paul will take on the task of getting this huge file in shape for the public release.
Until then, you will have to refer to the Med charts, which have been expanded so that they should give you most everything you need to know, when coupled with the readmes. And be sure to read all the readmes thoroughly. There is nothing in them that is unnecessary.
Old March 6, 2001, 16:31   #17
Locutus
Apolytoners Hall of FameCiv4 SP Democracy GameCiv4 InterSite DG: Apolyton TeamBtS Tri-LeagueC4BtSDG TemplarsC4WDG Team ApolytonCivilization IV CreatorsCTP2 Source Code ProjectPolyCast Team
Deity

Local Time: 11:56
Wes,

I didn't have time to look into this until right now (and even now I should be doing something else), so that's why you didn't hear from me before. When I gave you that trigger I told you it was completely untested and quite possible that it wouldn't work at all, I never intended it for you to include in your mod as if it was fully tested and functioning. As Dale suggests and as I feared when I warned you about the code not working, the leaderpersonality thing doesn't return what I assumed it would (i.e. a number representing the location of the personality in the strategy files). Too bad since there's a similar variable for goverment type and that does seem to work that way. Anyway, you can still get the code to work, only it will be slightly more complex. It involves testing if a player is of a certain nation and changing the personalitytype to that nation's personalitytype (assuming every nation can only have 1 personality, so no random stuff allowed/possible, at least not in this version).

I think that once you completed the code for all nations (and corrected it, I just made this example below up as as went without checking the files) it should work, though I'd still test it a little before releasing it if I were you: maybe the whole principle of changing strategies is flawed altogether in the first place. As I said, I haven't tested this code at all. If you test this you might want to (temporarily) make the start-strategies radically different from the regular ones so you can easily see if the AIs actually change strategy (e.g. don't allow the AIs to build units in the start strategies and make them build nothing but units in the regular strategies).

The code:

Code:
// at turn 125, turn off start strategies
HandleEvent(BeginTurn) 'MM2_TurnOffStartStrategies' post {
	if (g.year == 125) {
		if (PlayerCivilization(g.player) == CivilizationIndex("AMERICANS")) {
			SetStrategicState(player[0], StrategyDB(STRATEGY_SCIENIST_DEFAULT));
		} elseif (PlayerCivilization(g.player) == CivilizationIndex("GERMAN")) {
			SetStrategicState(player[0], StrategyDB(STRATEGY_MILITARIST_DEFAULT));
		} elseif (PlayerCivilization(g.player) == CivilizationIndex("DUTCH")) {
			SetStrategicState(player[0], StrategyDB(STRATEGY_ECONOMIC_DEFAULT));
		}
	}
}
Old March 6, 2001, 18:14   #18
Paul
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

Wes, right now I don't have time for the Great Library. I don't know when I will have more time; it could be in two weeks, but it could also be two months. Let me know if that's a problem.
Old March 6, 2001, 19:11   #19
Peter Triggs
CTP2 Source Code ProjectCivilization IV Creators
King

Sorry Wes, I meant to e-mail Locutus about this last week but never got around to it. There are several problems with that event handler. For one thing, according to the documentation, player[0].leaderpersonality will give you a string like 'Caesar' (presumably, from the personality database) whereas what he seemed to be after was the corresponding strategy Strategy_Militarist_Default (from the strategy database). I think that's why Paul got the error message: player[0].leaderpersonality doesn't exist in the strategy database.

But, and this is the more important point, a strategy like Strategy_Militarist_Default is the strategy that's loaded by default anyway: it's not going to over-ride your modified start strategies. The thing is that although you can change a personality strategy using SetStrategicState, I can't see how to do the same thing with the other base strategies: the start, defense, etc. strategies. Can anyone? (This might be trivial.)

Locutus, I've just read your latest post. It's still not gonna work: the strategies you're loading won't over-ride Wes's new start strategies. But here's a possibility. Maybe he could rename his new start strategies and we could have them 'considered' up to turn 125 and then ignored.
Old March 7, 2001, 00:41   #20
WesW
Apolytoners Hall of Fame

The reason I need to disable the start strategies is that the computer seems to build all its special attack units before anything else. This was not much of a problem in the original game because you didn't get any special units for many turns. However, the AIs usually start out with Nobles and/or Slavers, and if you have to use the default strategies, then they will spend their first 20 to 40 turns building 4 or 5 of these units, and not anything else. If this was Ctp1, you could set the special units' priority lower than the regular units', and the problem is solved. But....

Also, I wanted the AIs to keep a war setting for the start of the game because of Barbarians, then go to alert status when at peace for the default strategy.

You know, it was Richard who said that the start strategies stay active for the entire game. Looking at the original strategies.txt, the settings there don't make sense if they over-ride the default strategies for the entire game.
I wonder if Richard gave the worng impression with his statement, or if the strategies only remain active under certain conditions.

I am going to leave the settings as they are. It will be easy to tell if they stay in effect the entire game, since the AIs will stay at the war readiness level at all times, and will only build one special attack unit.

I guess this takes care of the last problem, which means that I will be uploading the beta shortly.
Old March 7, 2001, 15:32   #21
Hannibal Ad Portas
Chieftain

The following from the nuclear snc may help,then again it may not, very
difficult to confirm if and when the ai changes its strategic just by
watching via cheat.

// when strategies are first computed, change to our scenario strategy
HandleEvent(InitStrategicState) 'ND_InitStrategicState' post {
int_t strategyindex;
strategyindex = StrategyDB(STRATEGY_ND_SCENARIO_DEFAULT);

if(IsPlayerAlive(player[0])) {
ConsiderStrategicState(player[0], 9999, strategyindex,-1,-1,-1);
ComputeCurrentStrategy(player[0]);
}
}

// every time strategies are computed, consider our scenario strategy
HandleEvent(NextStrategicState) 'ND_NextStrategicState' pre {
int_t strategyindex;
strategyindex = StrategyDB(STRATEGY_ND_SCENARIO_DEFAULT);

if(IsPlayerAlive(player[0])) {
ConsiderStrategicState(player[0], 9999, strategyindex,-1,-1,-1);
}
}

hannibal
Old March 7, 2001, 21:21   #22
Dale
Emperor

Re-establishing embassies trigger created. Wes, I'll email it to you when our email is fixed. What other triggers do you want me to look at?

------------------
Rommell to a sub-commander outside Tobruk: "Those Australians are in there somewhere. But where? Let's advance and wait till they shoot, then shoot back."
Old March 8, 2001, 04:23   #23
ssoszka
Settler

Wes,

I have bug to report. I attempted to email this to you but, it was returned with an "undeliverable" message. So here goes: When I established my first city, set my building cue, and clicked the "turn over" button I got the following error: "In object DIP_MainRoutine, function_ConsiderNewProposal: Wrong type of arguement".

I noticed a 3/8/01 diplomatic update but got an error404, no file found error. I assume you are working on the problem. Just wanted to give you a heads up.
Old March 8, 2001, 04:32   #24
Dale
Emperor

quote:

Originally posted by ssoszka on 03-08-2001 03:23 AM
Wes,

I have bug to report. I attempted to email this to you but, it was returned with an "undeliverable" message. So here goes: When I established my first city, set my building cue, and clicked the "turn over" button I got the following error: "In object DIP_MainRoutine, function_ConsiderNewProposal: Wrong type of arguement".

I noticed a 3/8/01 diplomatic update but got an error404, no file found error. I assume you are working on the problem. Just wanted to give you a heads up.

All please note: this error discussion has been taken to the "Diplomacy Mod" thread.

------------------